If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2000 Silverado 1500, pulled the ABS fuse can this do damage?

This is a discussion on 2000 Silverado 1500, pulled the ABS fuse can this do damage? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; 2000 Silverado 1500, pulled the ABS fuse can this do damage?...

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Re: 2000 Silverado 1500, pulled the ABS fuse can this do damage?

Nope.
    08 HHR LS - 2.2 | 5 speed | 30 MPG

98 K1500 Z71 - 204k | L31 | 60E | 3.73's | 3" BL | 33x12.5x15 Dick Cepek F-C II's | Dynomax Ultra Flo X DI/DO | 14 MPG

84 S15 Jimmy 2dr 4x4 - engine/tranny all rebuilt

Yes, If you have an emergency and have to stop you may loose control with the brakes locking up. ABS was designed to keep you in control at all times when braking.
    04 K1500 Silverado EXT 3:73 gears, 5.3L 265/75-16,Pace Edwards tonneau,

whats wrong with your brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by redvett01 View Post
    yes, if you have an emergency and have to stop you may loose control with the brakes locking up. Abs was designed to keep you in control at all times when braking.
    x2
    2006 GMC SIERRA. Z71 47,xxx miles, short box, crew cab. Front window tent is all the mods I have. This truck is the nicest truck I have evered owned, I will not be putting bigger tires or pipes on this one. It's my Sunday truck.!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by redvett01 View Post
    Yes, If you have an emergency and have to stop you may loose control with the brakes locking up. ABS was designed to keep you in control at all times when braking.
    x2 don't be ghetto.
    2007 Trailblazer SS - Red Jewel
    2000 GMC Sierra Z71 SOLD! - Mods // Michigan Classics // My Garage // My ebaY auctions
    Hot Rod Search

The ABS on these trucks is next to useless. I wouldn't worry about deactivating them.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by eye.surgeon View Post
    The ABS on these trucks is next to useless. I wouldn't worry about deactivating them.
    Where do you get this wealth of information?
    2000 GMC Sierra Z71 SOLD! - Mods // Michigan Classics // My Garage // My ebaY auctions
    Hot Rod Search

ive had mine disconnected for a year cause a bad wheel speed sensor would kick it on at low speeds when i was trying to park...i almost hit a wal greens any way there is definitly a difference but if you keep your distance ull be fine with or without it if ure brakes lock up they would have kicked in ABS and slid ne way i wouldnt call it useless butu cna do without it

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Where do you get this wealth of information?
    It's a poorly designed system. The brakes are so weak on these trucks anyways I'd be surprised if you could even lock the brakes at highway speeds. It's the reason a fair number of people including myself disable the ABS on them.

When I was coming to a stop the abs would come on and greatly extend my stoping distance at the very end of my stop. It felt very unsafe several times, so I pulled the fuse to stop it. I do still have some air in there from when I changed the brake lines. Not sure if that it is my only problem.

Wheel speed sensor is bad, air in the system will just give you a mushy pedal.

Pulling the fuse is the best solution until a proper fix can be done. I drove a while with my fuse pulled but not wanting to be ghetto and knowing I would fail MA inspection, I replaced my hubs and "fixed the glitch."

The only thing pulling the fuse hurts is your resale value. It's hard to get top dollar if you were to sell the truck with two idiot lights glaring at the potential buyer. The buyer will look at that and think "what else did this guy ghetto rig or neglect on this thing?" So that's why eventually you will want to fix this right.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

I think too if you get in a crash with the abs disconnected the insurance company will not like that to much as well. Gotta look at it that way to I suppose.
    2004 Silverado NBS ECSB 5.3 Z71

The suggestion that your insurance company would deny coverage because your ABS wasn't working is incorrect. Also the idea that disconnecting your ABS would expose you to litigation is just out there. There are millions of cars on the road without ABS. Everyone here over the age of 30 drove non ABS cars for years, some for decades. Amazingly we survived.
    Last edited by eye.surgeon; 01-05-2010 at 12:54 AM.

If my memory serves me well, we all had this same back and forth debate sometime last week, and probably the week before that.

Time and again it boils down to this: Lots of us have owned or still do drive vehicles without ABS and haven't had a problem with that. ABS is more of a crutch for those who get into trouble and panic with the brake pedal. If your wheels speed sensors go, you lose braking power and are more unsafe if you leave the fuse in, versus pulling it and effectively disabling that annoying ABS activation that might lead one ot read end someone or worse. At the same time, if your truck came with ABS, the wheel sensors are acting up, and you opt to pull the fuse but never replace the faulty parts, it tends to speaks volumes about your style of maintenance.

We are a highly litigous society and when it comes to being a defendant in a civil suit, the case only needs to be made that your actions or lack there of (negligence) was a contributing factor to the accident, injury, death, etc. If a vehicle originally equipped with ABS that has it disabled is found to have had the ability to stop sooner on that snow/ice covered road had it had the ABS system working, and that vehicle goes on to hit something and cause damage/bodily harm, etc., it's a very easy win for any lawyer in a civil case to prove your negligence contributed to the accident.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

I bought this truck in a great state of disrepear, this is one of the last things to fix. I had no code indicating a bad speed sensor? Shouldn't I have had one? This truck is orginally from upstate NY, so there is rust here and there, isn't there a way to clean the speed sensor and does this involve removing the sensor as I am sure that will be difficult due to rust? I want the ABS to work, I pulled the fuse because it is currently dangerous when coming to a stop.
    Thanks
    Eric

Joe

It's a poorly designed system. The brakes are so weak on these trucks anyways I'd be surprised if you could even lock the brakes at highway speeds. It's the reason a fair number of people including myself disable the ABS on them.
    To say that not having it is better or works better than not is nuts.
    Hot Rod Search

Joe

The suggestion that your insurance company would deny coverage because your ABS wasn't working is incorrect. Also the idea that disconnecting your ABS would expose you to litigation is just out there. There are millions of cars on the road without ABS. Everyone here over the age of 30 drove non ABS cars for years, some for decades. Amazingly we survived.
    I have no idea really. I would love it if the insurance company did deny coverage as they should. The difference in your example is the vehicle came equipped with it from the factory. If you intentionally disable it and it causes harm, you should be found liable. Not sure how people cannot see that as the case.

Nobody is saying it was not possible to survive, I've been driving since 1984. To say you can stop a car with more control without ABS as opposed to with ABS is a joke
    Hot Rod Search

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by ethagen View Post
    I bought this truck in a great state of disrepear, this is one of the last things to fix. I had no code indicating a bad speed sensor? Shouldn't I have had one? This truck is orginally from upstate NY, so there is rust here and there, isn't there a way to clean the speed sensor and does this involve removing the sensor as I am sure that will be difficult due to rust? I want the ABS to work, I pulled the fuse because it is currently dangerous when coming to a stop.
    Thanks
    Eric
    That makes sense, my replies were directed at those who disable it out of laziness or the obscure thought that their brain is somehow quicker than the computers in the vehicles
    Hot Rod Search

Aside from liability issues.... if you've got the brake and abs light illuminated on the dash then you have abs codes. You need to get an abs code reader or tech II to figure out what codes you have. A regular code reader like those at autozone will not read abs codes. That should narrow it down. It probably is a wheel speed sensor in that case, they are part of the wheel hub assys. But you still can purchase the speed sensors sep. and change them out.
    2004 Silverado NBS ECSB 5.3 Z71

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast