If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Where should timing be set?

This is a discussion on Where should timing be set? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; 93 C1500 5.7L. Just finished installing a reman 5.7L motor with an RV Cam in my truck. I first started ...

Where should timing be set?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    93 C1500 5.7L.

Just finished installing a reman 5.7L motor with an RV Cam in my truck. I first started out with the timing set at 0. I went to go drive it and it was missing off the bottom but would smooth out once it got moving but just didn't have any power.

I advanced it at 2 and made little improvement but not much. After advancing it to 4, 6, and 8, it is running alot better at 8 but still not as good as it should. Still feels like its lagging power. And I don't feel comfortable running that far advanced.

I'm going to call Jasper in the morning and ask them where they recommend setting it at. Also sounds like I have a vacuum leak when i turned the truck off. Its just a quick hiss, I'm thinking maybe the seal on the TB.............But its dark out and I'm tired.....lol let me know what you guys think....night fellers I'll read up on your opinions in the morning!!!
    93 Chevy C1500, Blue/Silver, LB, 5.7L, RV Cam, 4l60e, Vette Servo, 31x10.50x15 Michelin MTX M/S, 94 Grille, Cystal Clear Lights, K&N, Flowmaster Duals, High flow cat, MSD Coil, Jet TB Spacer, Jet Stage 1 chip, Jet 180 thermostat

:fsc:

Re: Where should timing be set?

bump
    93 Chevy C1500, Blue/Silver, LB, 5.7L, RV Cam, 4l60e, Vette Servo, 31x10.50x15 Michelin MTX M/S, 94 Grille, Cystal Clear Lights, K&N, Flowmaster Duals, High flow cat, MSD Coil, Jet TB Spacer, Jet Stage 1 chip, Jet 180 thermostat

7-10 before tdc is a good starting point
    24v Cummins powered 96 GMC K3500

-----------------------------><-----------------------------

I've had similar issues, the cam should have had a card with the timing specs?
    '95 Tahoe LT 4x4, TBI with Vortec crate motor.
    God created all men, and Sam Colt made them equal.

You won't like my tastes Swims350's Avatar

Most cam cards I've seen only tell you about the valve open and close times and crap no straight up set it to blah blah blah on it. I sure wished there was though.

I had same problem on my 88, it didn't miss but would not get out of it's own way at zero, mines above that now and runs good, alot more power. I have to see where I'm at exactly I can't remember.

I just got off the phone with jasper and asked them. He told me on the 93 models there is a purple wire around the glove box area that has a connector on it. I'm suppost to disconnect this wire while its running, adjust my timing then connect it back. I can't remember how he worded it but this wire disconnects the timing system from the computer......

now I just have to find that wire. Anybody know where its at?

yes it's outside on the firewall area were the plastic fuse/relay cover is, I had to take that off to get to mine

It's a connector that you unhook and do it, once done you are supposed to shut it off, hook it up, then clear the code from the computer.

I was told to unhook it, then start it, set it, shut it off, refire, clear computer, then drive.

you nailed it Swims350.........I didn't have to clear the code but I noticed the check engine light came on but it never came back on after I shut if off and restarted. It seems to be running pretty good. I have it advanced 2 degress and I think I'm going to set it at 1 or 0 just to see if it will run any better.

Thanks for all the help everybody. I searched it and found one on here and said to look for a tan or yellow wire with a black stipe in it. Sure enough behind the plastic cover on the firewall........I love FSC.com

It's not gonna come back on, it's stored in the computer memory and is still there, if you pull codes from the computer you'll see it.

Just unhook your battery for a few minutes and it'll be cleared.

Also at least for my truck if you take timing out it's not gonna run any better. I know mine called for zero on timing but my truck hated it, I had to add more.
    Last edited by Swims350; 01-05-2010 at 06:03 PM.