***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Encoder Motor Sensor Replacement (w/ pics!!)

This is a discussion on Encoder Motor Sensor Replacement (w/ pics!!) within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by K Berg Maybe this should be a sticky... Just had the same problem but changed the whole ...

Born and Raised TEXAN

Re: Encoder Motor Sensor Replacement (w/ pics!!)

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Quote Originally Posted by K Berg View Post
    Maybe this should be a sticky... Just had the same problem but changed the whole encoder motor out with a good used one from my parts truck. Anyone know of an aftermarket sensor from standard or if you can find a AC Delco or Delphi sensor anywhere? Is that the GM P/N on top of the sensor? I don't see why the aftermarket wouldn't offer that for like $60...
    I just bought the sensor at Oreilly's for $87, it is a little bit more than buying from gmpartsdirect but Oreilly's can get it here quicker. Part number was 600-120, and it is made by Dorman.

Just a follow up message....Back in October, 2010, (I posted messages) I replaced my encoder sensor and the "service 4wd" message was still showing up baffling me. About 2 weeks later I replaced the windshield washer tank. I had to remove the battery to do this. I was taking my time as I was in no hurry. The battery was out of the vehicle for a good 2 1/2 to 3 hours. It is now January 12th and I have not seen the "service 4wd" message appear and I have been constantly shifting the 4-wheel drive as it can't seem to quit snowing here in South Dakota. Just wondering, (knock on wood), any chance the on board computer reset itself???

Sounds like the computer reset itselft and cleared the codes from the battery being unhooked.

2000 Chevy Silverado Z71
    5.3L 4.10's G80

Quote Originally Posted by getafewlives View Post
    When I first got it, it would make a slight holwing/whining sound when driving, but not at a stop. I figured it was a wheel bearing. But just recently I tried putting the truck into AWD 4wd but it made some weird sounds and started driving funny. Would make a louder whining sound, almost a whirring sound, and would feel like I was driving over bumps but on a flat road. The best I can describe it is that it was only part way engaged into 4wd? I tried putting it into 2wd but no luck. It would just flash then go back to AWD. After driving a bit more on my way home I finally got it to go back into 2wd, but whenever I hit the gas pedal, and sometimes when I dont, it makes a pretty loud whining sound. I have tried all the tricks, like pulling the trec fuse and waiting for a bit, I also re soldered the connections on the inside of the dash switch. But nothing has worked. Also, my "service 4wd" indicator comes on and goes every now and then.

I am thinking it's most likely the sensor and not the motor itself since it partly engages sometimes?

Once I get a chance and the weather warms up a bit, I am going to take out the encoder motor and see if it just needs to be cleaned up or something. But if that doesn't work, I will be in the market for the cheapest sensor I can get, whether it be ebay ($80) or someone off of here.

[/email] and let me know your price.
    I have had the "Service 4WD" light show up early this year. ~6wks ago but not now.
    It has started to howl and whine in 2wd and decel and most noticeable around 30-40mph. My mileage has been getting worse...from 15 mpg to around 13 consistently (not a big deal but I have not noticed this in past winters). The transfer case in AWD and 2wd seems to make noise even at highway speeds.

I am wondering if I should consider replacing the encoder motor sensor.

This is a great thread and a lots of good ideas. looking forward to getting this problem on my 2006 Silverado with NP8 transfer case fixed.

As luck would have it the "service 4wd" showed up this morning. I need to scan this with HPTunner. I believe I can see if I have the common C0327 code that would lead me toward doing the encoder motor sensor replacement. Noise isn't as noticeable now and when I started the car it wouldn't go into AWD. It did after a couple tires. Seems like I need to get the parts to do this work?

Born and Raised TEXAN

Alright guys, any help is much appreciated...Had service 4wd message displayed and all of the lights on the 4wd switch off with truck in 2hi. Started by replacing the 4wd actuator and that did nothing. Took it back to Oreilly's (thankfully they took it back) and bought the Encoder Motor Sensor at Oreilly's part #600-120, looked identical to the original one in the Encoder Motor. Replaced the old sensor with the new thanks to the help of Hollywood. When I started my truck the 4lo light was on (was in 2hi before I started the job), so, put it in Neutral and pushed the 4hi button, flashed for a while and the Transfer case made a loud noise (sounded like it was slamming into another gear) and the service 4wd message came back, 4hi light was then illuminated with my truck still in 4lo. I shut it off, started it back up and all the lights were off, and now I am stuck in 4lo and can not get it out. I unplugged the battery with hopes that letting it sit overnight might reset and see what I get tomorrow. Any help would be great....Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Feldy; 01-19-2011 at 06:05 AM.

I went out and bought the sensor and gasket and completed the work yesterday. I am going to wait for a snowy day so I can drive around with the Auto4wd on and see if the "service 4wd" comes back on.

GREAT WRITE UP. Thanks

replacing the encoder motor didn't do the trick for me.
    I have heard from other that the hub bearing can be a culprit and my passenger side hub bearing is making a lot of noise. I have it in hand and will replace it.
    No more snow (I hope), so I may not be able to check my problem until next winter.
    If I have any news from my work (good or bad) I will share with the forum.

I bought my dream, an 03 Suburban, little rust but thought she was going to be nice.

When she was delivered to me I heard a squeak; no big deal just a U-joint I was thinking... Got under her to look to see if it was bad, the front joint was not hot, but the T-case was... (well it was the rear joint that was out) I noticed oil on the chassis and the tail-shaft was bearing had lots of play... The dealer told me to get bent after 500 miles. (Mr Goodwrench had it on his hoist, and someone at jiffy lube could have detected a problem)

So my search began for New Venture Gear 246 t-case (NP8). After further discussions with the guys with the boots on the ground that deal with these things, I discovered that $800 dollars for a used one was a fair price. Apparently the hole in the case is common because the chain wears a hole in it? So I purchased a used one. While installing the T-case I noticed it was indeed in 4x4. After the installation the transfer case would not shift, however it would indicate 'auto'(but would still be locked in).

My question is if I drank more Ovaltine, and got the decoder ring? Could I take the encoder assembly off the T-case I pulled off of the Sub and just bolt it on? Or should I try to move it to high range 4x4 before I bolt it on and plugged it in? Or could the reason why the T-case i got from the salvage yard that had lots of rust on the front wheel output splines be indicative of more problems than the encoder motor/sensor?

Thank You!!

[QUOTE=hollywood_35;4502273]I looked around and got the general idea of how to do this procedure because I have had intermittent issues with the 4WD in my 2005 GMC Sierra with the "stellar" auto-trac. So I searched briefly and could not find anyone that did a write-up with pictures or anything. Basically, I was getting the daily SERVICE 4WD message but it would only really act up on occasion. I took it in to get codes pulled about 3 months ago when it just didn't want to make up it's mind for what drive it wanted to be in. They said it was the encoder motor sensor and it would cost 600 of my hard earned loonies to repair. I put it on the back burner since it seemed to go away temporarily. Until Murphy's law kicked in and being the crappiest snowiest day so far, it quit all together. So having it stuck in 2WD on ice and being an hour away from home going down a highway with blowing snow and drifts 2 feet high, of course it would fail. So on the way home, stopped at the friendly local GMC stealership and got the encoder motor sensor and the red rubber gasket for a grand total of around $260 CDN. I parked in the garage and let the old girl sit for a bit to drip dry and melt off most of the ice from the underside.

!

Just wanted to say thanks for this. I have an 03 extended cab Z-71 with the dreaded uncommanded ghost shifting into 4-hi on the road (makes it real tricky to get into those parking spots). I was driving around with the 4wd actuator fuse out so it would not engage but either the 4-hi, 4-lo, auto 4wd buttons would still flash like it was trying to shift. I never got the Service 4WD message unless the fuse was pulled out (obviously since the fuse is pulled) and everything shifts right when i wanted it to provided i stopped the truck shut it off and reinstalled the fuse. I just replaced the sensor today here's to hoping it fixes the problem i am having. Beats the thousand bucks the dealer wanted to fix it and all they were going to do is change the motor.

And just to let anybody else looking know I have the NVG-248 transfer case, NP8 RPO code. I used the dorman part number 600-120 encoder sensor.

Once again thanks for saving my wallet!

This is happening to my 2006 Z71. My started when traveling to Utah from Phoenix going over a pass that the rain was coming down sideways then turned to hail at the highest point on the pass. I'm thinking that there is a moisture thing here cause had the same thing happen with my 2003 Z71 while going to Reno from SLC and freak storm hits after rain turns to snow...... I bought the cluster switch first>then after reading this post I ordered a encoder sensor and gasket from Rock Auto Parts online for $61.00 with no shipping cost....

I just replaced my sensor yesterday after having the same symptoms described in this thread on my 2005 Z71. It was giving me "service 4WD" very intermittently and gradually became not so intermittent, more like a full time thing where none of my 4WD buttons worked, and sometimes would start up in 4-lo or neutral. After having a auto shop buddy run a scan with no codes show up I thought for sure it was the transfer case. But in hindsight maybe his scanner doesn't detect C codes? I dunno, seemed like a pretty extensive scanner to me. After some more investigation and having my buddy test the truck when the 4WD (he's seen lots of T-case problems on these trucks) was actually engaging we ruled out slack in the T-case chain, and he recommended I take it to the dealer for a more comprehensive scan.

Instead of doing that I figured I'd go back on this thread (and others) and ordered the parts from gmparts direct ($75 total for the sensor, gasket, and dust boot clamp) and see if this would knock it out. If this didn't work, then I'd pay the stealership some money. I was nervous about dropping the drive shaft and doing the repair myself and getting it all back together but after reading these descriptions and getting under the truck and unbolting things I felt like I'd already done it before. It only took about 2 hours with just me and a ratchet. The drive shaft was pretty easy to drop, just make sure everything is marked so you can put it back. The electrical connector was on pretty good but just remove the grey fitting and grab one side with a pair of pliers to work it loose. I was able to re-use the dust boot clamp and could have re-used the encoder motor gasket but already had the new one in hand so why not. So far everything is back to normal, which is great because I'm about to drive up to CO in a few weeks and they just started getting dumped on with snow. I was getting pretty nervous about having this trip planned with no 4WD, but now I feel much better having this repair behind me. Just crossing my fingers that it stays operating, but so far it seems to have done the trick. Just want to thank everyone that contributed to this thread, especially the OP.

Here's the GM part numbers I used. This was on a 246GM T-case encoder motor.
    Part Number 88962315 (sensor)
    Part Number 26064275 (clamp) re-used old one anyway, I think this one may have been a little too large.
    Part Number 12384990 (gasket)

2005 5.3L Z71
    Current Mods: Ranch Hand brush guard and rear bumper replacement, K&N FIPK, Super 40 Flowmaster w/ 3" tips
    1987 Single Cab R10
    Current mods: old paint job, rust
    Upcoming Mods: More rust

Hey cool write up, Ill be tackling this chore now I have a little more confidence in doing it. I get the occasional stuck in 2wd when its nice and cold out. My friend scanned it at his shop and told me the encoder motor is malfunctioning.
    DD -07 Illverado, 5.3, Airaid, 2" Procomp level, HID projectors, LED in/out, colormatched ext/int, chrome 20s on 275/55, 15% over factory, rollpan, RST spoiler, lots of mods
    GONE - 05 Yukon XL - ex took me for it
    Project - 94 S10 Blazer 4x4, 3+3, 33s on 17s, 880watt system, tint, HID, mods+

Great write-up. I'm picking mine up today and will be doing this. (removed the encoder motor yesterday)

My first attempt was to replace the encoder motor, but was unsuccessful, as the one I tried (new one) would not shift. I'm taking it back and going to try the sensor route.

I saw a youtube video (search transfer case c0327 , by realfixrealfast), that they re-flashed after swapping out the sensor. has anyone had to do that?

Thanks!

That's one of the videos I watched before diving in too. FWIW I didn't do any kind of flash of the computer and havent had any problems yet after about a month.

2005 5.3L Z71
    Current Mods: Ranch Hand brush guard and rear bumper replacement, K&N FIPK, Super 40 Flowmaster w/ 3" tips
    1987 Single Cab R10
    Current mods: old paint job, rust
    Upcoming Mods: More rust

Thanks phowardtx. My friend in the neighborhood has a lift and has been gracious enough to let me put the 'burb up on the lift tomorrow. Should be a bit easier than crawling under while it was up on ramps yesterday (not to mention the 31 degree day)

Looking forward to posting that the sensor fixed the issue.
    Last edited by GoshenBurb; 12-31-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by GoshenBurb View Post
    Thanks phowardtx. My friend in the neighborhood has a lift and has been gracious enough to let me put the 'burb up on the lift tomorrow. Should be a bit easier than crawling under while it was up on ramps yesterday (not to mention the 31 degree day)

Looking forward to posting that the sensor fixed the issue.
    After a few hours on the lift yesterday, I was not able to get the "rebuilt" t-case motor replaced. My t-case was in AWD when it stopped working. I attempted to put a new, aftermarket, motor in. I had to move the t-case to Neutral as the new t-case motor comes in the neutral position. (that motor didn't work)

As such, I was not able to get the male gear on the t-case to rotate clockwise enough to aligh with the teeth on the t-case motor. The best I could do was 2wd. I had the car running, in neutral, and it just wouldn't shift.

Any thoughts before I take it to the dealer?

Thanks!
    Last edited by GoshenBurb; 01-02-2013 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoshenBurb View Post
    After a few hours on the lift yesterday, I was not able to get the "rebuilt" t-case motor replaced. My t-case was in AWD when it stopped working. I attempted to put a new, aftermarket, motor in. I had to move the t-case to Neutral as the new t-case motor comes in the neutral position. (that motor didn't work)

As such, I was not able to get the male gear on the t-case to rotate clockwise enough to aligh with the teeth on the t-case motor. The best I could do was 2wd. I had the car running, in neutral, and it just wouldn't shift.

Any thoughts before I take it to the dealer?

Thanks!
    I've been following this and some of the other encoder sensor replacement threads as I had to replace my 246 transfer case for my 2004 2500 Suburban over Christmas break. I also had the truck starting up in a different gear everytime I started the truck so I wasn't able to force the transfer case shift module into neutral as instructed. I copied this replacement description with a $48 88962315 sensor and $7 seal off of e-bay. I carefully marked the gears with a paint pen and reassembled as described. Not sure where I went wrong but I couldn't get the encoder motor gear and the dowel pin locator aligned for the life of me. I finally bought a new encoder motor Cardone 48-113 for $221 off of e-bay and it is shipped in 2WD (~6 o'clock position on the transfer case output shaft). I shifted the rebuilt case into the same and it easily went back together. When I started the truck it went nuts like it was trying to shift the tranasfer case 90 degrees in the wrong direction. I thought with the battery disconnected and fuses checked that the unit would re-learn the positions but no luck. Thought may be I needed the reflash. Problem is how to get the truck to the dealer without it working correctly. Tried pulling the 4WD fuse, TREC fuse, and plugging/unplugging the encoder motor. No luck as the truck wouldn't shift into drive.
    Since I had the old unit, I opened it up and watched the you tube video again. You can see from that and the pictures at the start of the thread that the gear position looks to be in neutral (points toward the encoder motor). I checked my GM serice manual for sensor replacement on a NVG 246-NP8 and it says to align the big gear timing mark to the mark on the case (the timing mark on the casing near the electrical harness - looks like a slot). I did that and it re-installed easily and corrected my SERVICE 4WD problems.
    My theory is that with a new sensor, you need to align the sensor into the slot in the case, align the big gear to the two timing marks, and the encoder motor drive small gear is irrelevant. The electrical control tells the motor to spin left or right and how long according to the sensor position.
    Sorry for the long first post but I spent more time monkeying with the encoder motor than replacing the transfer case.

I have a 2005 Silverado that I'm about to replace the encoder motor with a new one.I tried a used one free from a family member who is a mechanic no dice dead like mine.Pretty easy to drop driveshaft and take encoder off now that I've done it once easy to replace.I had it scanned from the dealer awhile back says its the encoder motor. I got the dealer to scan so I knew for certain what the problem was.My truck is stuck in 2WD because the shaft spins used chain grip to hold in position.Question I have is a new encoder motor comes in the 2WD position? Will be hitting up O Reilly's in Bellingham shortly.
    Should I try and replace the sensor first before the entire motor?
    Last edited by darmil; 01-06-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Yes, I would try and replace the sensor first. O'Reilly's carries the Dorman encoder sensor online for $88 or order from Amazon.com for $48. Cheaper to pay Amazon and overnight it. I agree it is easy to remove the driveshaft which gives you much better access. I had all four corners of my truck jacked up so I could spin the front input or rear tires to help manually shift the transfer case output shaft into any position I needed. Again I aligned the timing marks per the service manual instead of maintaining the position that it was stuck in when I removed it per the you tube video --> google "yukon transfer case 2 - you tube"
    I would still do the paint marks on the gears just in case but in my opinion if your sensor is bad the position is lost anyways. Check the timing marks on the gear and the case for reference. I think this returns the gear position to neutral and you should be able to shift your truck to neutral using the FSC link if you search it here.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast