GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Rear Wiper 2005 Tahoe

This is a discussion on Rear Wiper 2005 Tahoe within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I searched, but it doesn't seem like a common problem. The rear wiper on my wife's 2005 Tahoe stopped working. ...

Rear Wiper 2005 Tahoe

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I searched, but it doesn't seem like a common problem.

The rear wiper on my wife's 2005 Tahoe stopped working. The blade doesn't move when the switch is turned, and the washer fluit doesn't squirt or turn on the wiper when the button is pushed. It doesn' make any noise from the washer fluid motor or wiper motor.

Where do I start to trouble shoot this?

Re: Rear Wiper 2005 Tahoe

First thing is to get a repair book that has a good circuit diagram in it. There usually is a wire that runs along the driver side pillar area from the wiper motor connection to the interior fuse box. Sometimes it goes under the carpet retainers in the door area or it comes down the driver windshield pillar.
    I don't have much knowledge of the Tahoe design but most Chevy's incorporate the rear window washer with the front washer motor. So if the front is working, and this is the only motor, then there is something wrong in the delivery line to the rear. If, the Tahoe, has a separate motor for the rear then you have lost voltage to the entire unit. If this is true then the first place to look for voltage is loss is at the motor end. Find the wires that connect to the wiper and (if correct) the washer motor in the rear door area. Put a voltage tester on the + and - wires that go to those motors. Don't ground to the chassis when doing this. Usually, these motors are protected ground and won't ground to the chassis at the point where they are attached to the vehicle. If you get voltage at this point then the motor has a problem. If you don't, then the wiring has a problem. Check fuses first. Then use the diagram for the wiring and find the bad spot in the wires.

You will need someone to help you do the testing, since you have to turn the switch on to test the wiring.
    Last edited by Chevy_Ranger; 01-19-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Ranger, thank you for your detailed post.

I got home last night and was able to take a look at the wiper. Of course my wife was off on the details.

The washer fluid does still come out by the wiper blade, and when you turn the wiper on, it doesn't move. You can turn the wiper motor on and manually move the wiper blade with your hand and it will move on its own for a few inches and stop. I think it is just the wiper motor needs to be changed
    Last edited by fatfrank76308; 01-20-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Have you checked to see if it is fused seperate?