If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

4L60E no 3rd or 4th gear

This is a discussion on 4L60E no 3rd or 4th gear within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Drove the truck this past weekend and had 3rd and 4th go out about 200 miles from home. This is ...

4L60E no 3rd or 4th gear

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Drove the truck this past weekend and had 3rd and 4th go out about 200 miles from home. This is the same 93 K1500 I put the GM 5.7 crate motor in a couple years ago. I don't drive the truck much and I've only got about 10K on the crate motor. The transmission was rebuilt about 30K ago (maybe six or seven years ago) because no one could diagnose my TCC lock/unlock/lock problem (brake pedal switch was out of adjustment)and was a complete rebuild. New TC, elec harness, everything. It was taken apart three times by the shop before they figured out it was the brake pedal switch. The input shaft seal started leaking about six months before I did the crate motor and got low enough that the trans slipped a little. After that I kept an eye on it and topped it off when needed. I replaced the seal when I did the crate motor and it hasn't leaked since.

The trans started slipping a little while I was hauling some weight (a small bench-top lathe) and some other crap back from Maine about six months ago. Probably shouldn't have had it in OD. After I noticed it slipping I didn't use OD for the remainder of the trip. The fluid did not smell burnt after this because I checked it. Road was rolling hills. I never tow anything heavy and seldom carry any weight in the back.

This past weekend I was driving north and noticed it slipping some going into third. I tried to take it easy on it but it got worse anyhow. The next day it went out completely. I drove home in 2nd gear and only shifted to 3rd on the downhills and without applying any real power and was able to get it up to 60 a few times. At the bottom of the hill it was back to 2nd.

I hate to put one more penny into this truck as the cab corners are shot, there's no paint left on the hood or roof and my kids do nothing but B**CH every time they have to sit in the church pew in the back. I'm thinking of pulling out the tranny and taking it apart, inspecting it and hopefully just replacing the 3rd and 4th gear clutches and steels. I would expect most of the other parts are OK but won't know without opening it up. The other option is to get a junkyard tranny that doesn't smell burnt up and throw it in. I will not spend another $1000 to get this truck back on the road. It's time to cut my losses. Anybody have the same thing happen? If so, what did you find when you opened it up? Besides, I need some automatic transmission practice before I crack open the 200 on the GN.
    Gregg

1993 GMC K1500 Ext.Cab
    1997 Saab 9000 Aero 2.3L Turbo 5-spd
    1997 Saab 9000 CSE 2.3L Turbo Auto
    1994 Saab 9000 Aero 2.3L Turbo 5-spd
    1987 Buick Grand National 12.98@104
    1998 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon
    1993 Saab 9000 CSE 2.3L Turbo 5-spd

.....too many cars, not enough turbos

Re: 4L60E no 3rd or 4th gear

Well I guess this post fell off the cliff before anyone felt inclined to post a response so I guess I'll just update it for a bump. I had some time so I stopped into the shop that rebuilt it the first time and told the guy what happened. He said he wouldn't offer any kind of warranty because it was too long ago. I figured he would say that since he didn't honor the leaky seal problem, either. FWIW, this is Dr. Steve's in Manchester, NH. This place came recommended to me from a couple of people. I asked him if they did anything special to the 3rd and 4th gear clutches or if they just replaced them with OEM type clutch packs. He said they always upgraded the 3rd and 4th gear clutches when they rebuild them. I asked him how much he would charge to R&R the tranny and repair, not rebuild, it. He said he would replace the 3rd and 4th clutch pack for $900, including R&R. I will probably pass on this as I can get a completely rebuild tranny from a shop in Maine for $650, plus a $100 core charge. I've done tranny swaps but never on a 4WD. I might also consider changing or at least rinsing out the TC. Plus flushing the radiator tranny cooler. The fluid is probably just burnt. Hopefully not too much metal floating around. That should be in the filter.
    Gregg

1993 GMC K1500 Ext.Cab

doesn't sound like a very reputable shop.. I wouldn't expect him to eat it after 6 years, but he should be customer friendly enough to cut you a deal..
    '95 Tahoe LT 4x4, TBI with Vortec crate motor.
    God created all men, and Sam Colt made them equal.

Yeah, I really didn't expect him to do it for nothing. But seeing as he had my truck for a couple of weeks and had to take it apart three times because they couldn't diagnose a bad brake switch (not to mention rebuilding a possibly good transmission in the process) I would have at least expected him to cut me some slack as the truck didn't have very many miles on the rebuild. I'm not very happy and I won't go back or recommend his shop. I guess it's the old "if you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself" deal. At least you know what's gone into the thing.
    Gregg

1993 GMC K1500 Ext.Cab