If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

truck shut off while driving

This is a discussion on truck shut off while driving within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; i have a 1996 chevy 1500 5.7 vortec. i was driving and the truck just shut off on me. dos ...

truck shut off while driving

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    i have a 1996 chevy 1500 5.7 vortec. i was driving and the truck just shut off on me. dos anyone no what the prob could be? the fule pump is still working it cranks over fine the radeo and light all work fine

Re: truck shut off while driving

Make sure all your grounds are good and connections at the battery. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

2005 2500HD>Duramax>EFI Live DSP5 by Punisher Performance>FASS Platinum LP>AFE Turbo MP>EGR Blocked>PCV Rerouted>Mild audio setup>4" Exhaust>Alligator Performance Race Fuel Valve>Edge Insight CTS

KILLBOY POWERHEAD

x2 on the grounds. neg bat cable can cause that if you hit a bump and the ground is loose.
    92xcsb350tbi
    its my money pit, what can i say

Texans love Texas They are special people down there

whats x2

Piloting the Land Yacht Texsbluethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sw45 View Post
    Make sure all your grounds are good and connections at the battery. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
    Yup, changed the intake gaskets one time and forgot to hook the ground back up on the back of the engine (firewall to trans dipstick mount) Took me a month to find out why it would intermitantly quit and not throw any codes.

Alex
    '96 Chevy K1500HD ECLB, 385,000km and still goin strong...ish, Rebuilt 355 w/4L60e on its last legs
    '07 Pontiac G5, Wifes Blurple commuter, 97,000km
    78/80/93 GMC in many pieces and places waiting for time and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998silverado69 View Post
    i have a 1996 chevy 1500 5.7 vortec. i was driving and the truck just shut off on me. dos anyone no what the prob could be? the fule pump is still working it cranks over fine the radeo and light all work fine
    Is your fuel pump the original? Was the pigtail wiring harness replaced, that plugs into the top of the new fuel pump, if it is a new(er) pump? VERY important.

Hey guys i replaced the fuel filter today, and i started it up by pouring gas into the throttle body and it fired up for a couple seconds and then it back fired and shut off, i got the air out of the shratter valve and it still does not start...

This happened to my truck too, mines a 97. I thought it was something complicated but turns out the negative battery cable terminal connection was a lil loose, you have to tighten that thing hard, if u can even move it a millimeter it will still shut off on you somewhere. Mine has the side terminals dunno about yours but I would check that like other people said too.

Piloting the Land Yacht Texsbluethunder's Avatar

I've heard a few other issues that may ahve caused this

Ground at the fuel tank
    dist cap cracked.

Alex
    '96 Chevy K1500HD ECLB, 385,000km and still goin strong...ish, Rebuilt 355 w/4L60e on its last legs
    '07 Pontiac G5, Wifes Blurple commuter, 97,000km
    78/80/93 GMC in many pieces and places waiting for time and effort.

side post suck. just converted mine to top post. If it starts by pouring gas down its throat...then perhaps fuel pump? Get a fuel pressure tester at autozone, prime the pump and see what psi is. Think you need 58 psi to start it.
    96 extended cab z71, 350 Vortec, 4x4, 4l60-E, 3.42, G80

My '96 cut off on me like that once. I tried to restart and it rolled over fine, electronics worked and all that, but no start. The motor wasn't getting fuel thanks to a bad fuel pump.

Hey silverado69,I just had the same exact thing happen to me today. This is after already replacing my distributor, new ac delco plugs, new air filter, cleaning the mass airflow sensor, new fuel filter and checking fuel pressure. All this was done for a lousy running engine. This seemed to fixed that problem, except it was then running with an occasional miss, until today, stopped running after on the road for at least 30 minutes. Starter fluid down the intake and a backfire. Fuel press good, now they are saying I probably need a new intake, bad injectors.(again one plug was all fowled up) Hope this helps some and if you get yours to run let me know what you did.
    Thanks,
    -Mike

I know a bad ignition module will cause a truck to stop running while your driving.

Katzkin leather interior, 2" CCM Off road leveling kit, Ranch Hand grill guard, and Ranch Hand rear bumper.

Did you say you put a fuel pressure gauge on it yet? If not, start there. I believe you need a minimum of 50 psi. If you have 47 psi, it will not start.
    Last edited by LS1GMCTruck; 01-30-2010 at 02:13 PM.