GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2001 S-10 Blazer stuck in 4 wheel drive...

This is a discussion on 2001 S-10 Blazer stuck in 4 wheel drive... within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hi Guys, Here in Michigan have been using 4 wheel drive a lot over the last few days with all ...

2001 S-10 Blazer stuck in 4 wheel drive...

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hi Guys,

Here in Michigan have been using 4 wheel drive a lot over the last few days with all of the snow. My mother-in-law called last night to say she can't get her 2001 Blazer out of 4 wheel drive. I didn't ask if it was in "auto" or 4hi so I'll have to clarify. This is the pushbutton type. I have replaced actuators before in other trucks, but don't know about this issue. 4x4 is working good according to her, just won't go back into 2hi.

Any suggestions before I call the shop?
    Thanks!
    88 V10 Chevy Suburban
    92 K1500 X-cab p/u
    97 K1500 Suburan

Re: 2001 S-10 Blazer stuck in 4 wheel drive...

Quote Originally Posted by BIG BLUE View Post
    Hi Guys,

Here in Michigan have been using 4 wheel drive a lot over the last few days with all of the snow. My mother-in-law called last night to say she can't get her 2001 Blazer out of 4 wheel drive. I didn't ask if it was in "auto" or 4hi so I'll have to clarify. This is the pushbutton type. I have replaced actuators before in other trucks, but don't know about this issue. 4x4 is working good according to her, just won't go back into 2hi.

Any suggestions before I call the shop?
    Thanks!
    Is actually still in 4wd, or is it just the light on the dash that is still on? On known on older models the "4x4" or whatever light could come on when just the front axle was still engaged even though the transfer case wasn't actually in 4wd.

Sorry I didn't clarify...yes it is actually still stuck in 4 WD. When you press the button for 2 hi it won't change over. She said she can tell because on dry pavement the front tires are "gripping" too much. I told her not to drive it on dry surfaces until we figure it out. Would the acuatore be stuck? I thought these were the electronic type not the gas charged older type.

Thanks!
    88 V10 Chevy Suburban
    92 K1500 X-cab p/u
    97 K1500 Suburan

I have also heard that disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so may re-set this. Any truth to it?

Thanks!
    88 V10 Chevy Suburban
    92 K1500 X-cab p/u
    97 K1500 Suburan

Encoder motor is the culprit. Completely seized up!

New one being installed tonight.
    88 V10 Chevy Suburban
    92 K1500 X-cab p/u
    97 K1500 Suburan