If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

door hinge pin or roller pin

This is a discussion on door hinge pin or roller pin within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I just purchased a 91 gmc and both doors are a pain to close, after looking into the hings and ...

door hinge pin or roller pin

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I just purchased a 91 gmc and both doors are a pain to close, after looking into the hings and such I noticed that the pin iin the top hinge not the door pin ( the one that the door kinda rolls on) was broke off on both doors. Was there a spring in them at some point or are these just the pin and no spring? also what part do I get , door pin or is it called a door roller pin? thanks. I did search just couldnt get an answer. if anyone has a pic of what the front door hinge area should look like it would be greatly appreciated. thanks, double checked no springs at all? also the door pins look to be in good shape, would the roller pin ( or whatever it is called) being broke cause the door not to shut well or should I replace the door pins too( there is no play in them and they seem tight)?
    can I get the " roller pin from a parts store or is it dealer only item? thanks
    Last edited by tpulliam79; 02-24-2010 at 01:23 AM. Reason: wrong info posted
    1991 gmc k1500 5.7 tbi.

Australian Chevy

Re: door hinge pin or roller pin

You can get them aftermarket.
    Can't remember where...perhaps LMC trucks.
    Howard

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T
    MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE
    DUCT TAPE.

98 K1500 Suburban, 4L80E, Whipple SC, Marine Intake, Hydroboost, LS1 0411 PCM.

yep, my roller is F%^&$D also... it's actually bent out of the way...

Updated: It looks like the door sags about 1/2", and if I lift up on the door it moves a significant amount in the hinges... I'll have to post a full picture 'DIY" update when I replace them next week.

I'm going to pull all 3 pins, and hang the door from my engine lift, so I don't have to disconnect all the wiring crap.. and better yet, Harbor Freight has the spring tool for $5.99 compared to the online vendor who wanted $12.99 plus $9.99 shipping.. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95344
    Last edited by para driver; 02-26-2010 at 11:09 AM.
    '95 Tahoe LT 4x4, TBI with Vortec crate motor.
    God created all men, and Sam Colt made them equal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-89...item5639b08981

Tough pic to see but the spring is there, keeps the detent tight against the roller
    Last edited by JWolfe75; 02-24-2010 at 06:20 AM.
    '05 GMC 2500 HD LLY
    '07 TBSS AWD 3SS
    Quote Originally Posted by BHB View Post
    Ummm...By that, I think that would require sticking my own finger into my "Doug".

would the bad roller pin and no spring cause the door to not close right and sag a little or am I looking at hinge pins also. can the roller pin be replaced without removing the door?
    1991 gmc k1500 5.7 tbi.

Pins and bushings is the reason your door is sagging. The roller pin basically holds the door open.
    88 K1500 5.7 220K SOLD
    95 K2500 5.7 336k SOLD
    96 K2500 6.5 171K
    06 Trailblazer LTZ

so even though the hinge pins seem tight they should be replaced? like I said the pins seem tight and have no play but the roller pins are broke in half(bottom half gone) on both doors and no spring on one side?
    Last edited by tpulliam79; 02-24-2010 at 12:08 PM.
    1991 gmc k1500 5.7 tbi.

I'm Back!

on my 99 hoe, my psgr side door sags. i'm in the middle of replacing my roller pin right now. last night i spent an hour trying to get the new roller in. got tired and went to bed before i broke something.

"God has a hard-on for Marines. Because we kill everything we see."

Quote Originally Posted by Silve家do View Post
    on my 99 hoe, my psgr side door sags. i'm in the middle of replacing my roller pin right now. last night i spent an hour trying to get the new roller in. got tired and went to bed before i broke something.
    did you remove door? let me know if changing just the roller pin makes a difference or not. I am trying to line up someone to help me when I remove the door as I dont have any way to secure the top of the door.
    1991 gmc k1500 5.7 tbi.

I'm Back!

yep, it's sitting on some phone books. i know it will make a difference. i just wasn't planning on going through all this to replace it. i've read that the other pins are easy, and they are, but the roller pin is turning out to be a mf'r...

hmm well I figure if I am going to take the door off I might as well replace all pins and bushings, that way I dont have to do it again. I may wait until my sport mirrors get here and just do it all at once. probably tune her up in the mean time
    1991 gmc k1500 5.7 tbi.

I'm Back!

i just ordered an OEM one (i work at a dealer, so i get a little bit of a break). i will try to beat on the aftermarket one i got off ebay and if it still doesn't work, i will have the OEM one to put in. i got another car, so it's all good.

speaking of mirrors, thanks for reminding me- mine doesn't work.

Tough pic to see but the spring is there, keeps the detent tight against the roller
    exactly... right down to the white color.. you sneaking around my house with a camera???

Quote Originally Posted by tpulliam79 View Post
    did you remove door? let me know if changing just the roller pin makes a difference or not. I am trying to line up someone to help me when I remove the door as I dont have any way to secure the top of the door.
    I've seen guys use an engine lift and some straps, or even hang it from the garage opener 'track'..
    Last edited by para driver; 02-25-2010 at 03:11 PM.
    '95 Tahoe LT 4x4, TBI with Vortec crate motor.
    God created all men, and Sam Colt made them equal.

I'm Back!

mine is white, too, and broken just like his. i got the OEM one a little while ago and it looks EXACTLY like the ebay kit piece i already have. i was expecting a narrow pin with more of a taper like in the picture and what came out of my hoe, but i got a beefy one with almost no taper. back to the hammer tonight. we'll see...

I'm Back!

ok, so i cleaned the pin openings with the dremel and the pin went in. not too easy but it's in now. door went back on and i put everything back together. i go to close the door and the door makes a WHAM noise but doesn't close. i was like wtf?? but the latch was in the closed position so it slammed the striker. i pulled the handle, it popped loose and the door closed with a satisfying GM door closing sound. no more sagging and, thanks to the new springs, it doesn't fly open anymore. 1 task down. NEXT!

did the pins and roller, door closes better but still sags a bit, after closer examination the hinge part on the door has a wallowed out hole, so done for now but will be replacing the entire assembly sometime before I have it painted.
    1991 gmc k1500 5.7 tbi.