If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

New BRAKES getting HOT need HELP!!!

This is a discussion on New BRAKES getting HOT need HELP!!! within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I just replaced the pads and rotors on my 00 Chevy 1500 Z71 and now my brakes are getting hot ...

New BRAKES getting HOT need HELP!!!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I just replaced the pads and rotors on my 00 Chevy 1500 Z71 and now my brakes are getting hot as hell.

I never took the brake lines off or loosened any of those bolts. I just pushed the caliper cylinders back in with a C-clamp, put the new pads and rotors on, threw the wheels on and was done.

Anybody know what is causing them to get so hot?? What can I do to fix it??

Thanks
    Seth

Re: New BRAKES getting HOT need HELP!!!

If you bought aftermarket "lifetime" pads, maybe they're too thick and they're dragging a little?

If that's the case, they'll probably wear down, but you'll want to be careful. If they get too hot, you can warp your rotors.
    Last edited by daved931; 02-28-2010 at 06:15 PM.
    1999 2 Door Tahoe 4x4 w/ 14 Bolt SF & TruTrac. All kinds of upgrades, SOLD 1/2012
    2008 Silverado 1500 Z71, leveling kit, exhaust, SOLD 9/2014
    2014 Silverado 1500 Z71, stock for now

Which wheels specifically are getting hot? The rear disc equipped models very often exhibit frozen rear calipers after a brake job. The fronts could do it too but it's the rears that are notorious for sticking.

The cause is the harsh life those rear calipers live. As the pads wear and the pistons extend out, the exposed parts of the piston can become corroded and when you put new pads in and push the pistons back to their starting point, they don't want to move so nicely and the result is a constant slight drag of the pads on the rotors that lead to really hot rear brakes. The simple fix is to replace the rear calipers with some reman'd calipers. I had to replace both of my rears due to this and I know friends who have had to do that same thing. This sort of topic also pops up on here about once a week so I know it's not a rare issue that only I had to struggle with. Hope this helps point you in the right direction.
    00 RCSB Z71/JBA cat-back/Z71 Tahoe valance/EBC slotted&drilled rotors with SS lines & SS braided hoses/Edelbrock headers/BB tune/6000k HID low beam & fog lamps/Auto-headlight disable mod(nice)/Vette servo/LT1 E-fans/LED gauge cluster/Titan 18" wheels/Rollpan/Belltech rear sway bar/2-4 drop

Did you spray down the rotors with brake kleen? There's usually a coat of anti rusting stuff on them when you buy them.

How did the new pads fit in the caliper? I have had aftermarket pads that didn't fit the recesses in the caliper very well. They should be a drop in fit and often aren't.

The last set I put on, they fit so tight that they bound up and wouldn't actually move to get 100 percent contact with the rotor. Had to file the end flanges so that they could be free to move in the caliper. Problem solved.

Bob

yes like tweaks mentioned,you should replace calipers if you truck has been through many brake pad changes,at least buy new pins,bolts?you know, them things the calipers slide on.Also if drums in rear get new springs,hardware,10 years is a lot of work for them brake parts.

What do you mean by "they are getting hot?" Can you smell them or something?

Used to own a FSC, now I just have my extremely old Buick.
    Have some perspective please. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratosman View Post
    What do you mean by "they are getting hot?" Can you smell them or something?
    Same question from me. What makes you think they are getting TOO hot? Brakes get really hot by design, it's the nature of friction....and by hot I mean you will burn your finger if you touch the brake parts after driving.

Thanks for all the replies. The brakes seem to fit fine.

The rear brakes were so hot after I put the rotors and pads on that they were smoking when I got back to the house after a 1.5 mile test drive.

TWEAKS Im definetly leaning toward getting new calipers I might try to bleed the old ones a bit to see if that helps before I do so but I dont even know if that will be worth the time.

Bleeding will not solve anything if they are dragging. How well did you lube the caliper pins, how freely is you caliper floating?