If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

head gaskets? intake gaskets? whats the deal? 5.7 vortec

This is a discussion on head gaskets? intake gaskets? whats the deal? 5.7 vortec within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; 97 tahoe 5.7 vortec all stock truck overheats last night I added coolant and it was fine with NO VISIBLE ...

head gaskets? intake gaskets? whats the deal? 5.7 vortec

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    97 tahoe 5.7 vortec all stock

truck overheats last night I added coolant and it was fine with NO VISIBLE LEAKS

I get in it tonight and get gas then pull out to get a check guages light and my temp was at 240-250 degrees. coasted to a stop after shutting the engine off and added water. hard to start with rough idle but got it going. temp was good for a minute then it got to 220 and I shut it down.

will not start back and I have water in the oil. head gaskets or intake gaskets? how can I tell if I have the crap heads? how can I tell if the intake gasket is the problem?

correct me if im wrong but I could just pull the plugs and pump water out to see if it's a head gasket but a intake gasket could also cause water to be in the cylinders right?

what should I do, just change the intake gasket and see what happens or go ahead and change the head gaskets while im at it? I don't have alot of money so please don't tell me to take it to a stealership.

any advice is greatly appreciated. I have just never seen one do this and not start and run on atleast a few cylinders.

Re: head gaskets? intake gaskets? whats the deal? 5.7 vortec

Generally you'll notice a lot of smoke out the exhaust with a blown head gasket. A compression check will help isolate the problem.

When you take it apart just look at the intake gaskets - it should be pretty easy to see where they have failed. I had my '98 5.7 intake gaskets replaced by my buddy at a stealership, so he used the GM gaskets; if they ever need to be redone, I'll be doing it myself with Fel-Pro Perma-Dry. (Used them on a '98 Malibu 3.1l when the gaskets failed a second time, and will be using them on a '98 Cutlass too - look like they will hold up well.) Head gaskets are unlikely, a HELM manual tells you how to test, I would think a compression test will show if the gaskets are blown or not. (My Cutlass had taken in a lot of coolant, and a compression test of the front bank showed that the head gasket was toast.) By the way, my Cutlass did exactly what your Tahoe did - died and now won't start. Good luck!

but wouldn't a intake or head gasket let coolant in the cylinders and cause smoke?