If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Transmission pan gasket. Rubber or Cork?

This is a discussion on Transmission pan gasket. Rubber or Cork? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a leaking gasket on my 93. Currently have a rubber gasket on there. I've heard cork seals better. ...

Official FSC mascot!!!!! PHATSPEED7X's Avatar

Question Transmission pan gasket. Rubber or Cork?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a leaking gasket on my 93. Currently have a rubber gasket on there. I've heard cork seals better. What should I go with. I'll be putting a new filter as well.

-1953 3100- -1991 K1500- -1999 Ford Ranger-

Re: Transmission pan gasket. Rubber or Cork?

I like the cork gaskets better, so does my friend's dad and he runs a transmission shop. Hates the rubber ones.
    91 Dodge 4x4 12v Cummins Intercooled/5 speed, D60 & D70 rear w/ 3.55's and a Powr-Lok--- Lots of fuel and some boost-

SOLD-- 91 Reg. cab shortbed GMC, Black on black, 350tbi crate, 5 speed w/hurst shifter, 3.42 G80--- Over 400,000 miles on body

Official FSC mascot!!!!! PHATSPEED7X's Avatar

Alot of people seem to like cork over rubber for tranny pan gaskets. i'll have to see if i can find a kit that has a cork gasket. both the ones at my work have a damn rubber gasket.

-1953 3100- -1991 K1500- -1999 Ford Ranger-

i like rubber ones.

Had my tranny resealed at a local tranny shop a few weeks ago. They put on a cork gasket but apparently over tightened it. Pouring tranny fluid now til i get a chance to change the thing tomorrow night. Going back with rubber myself but i guess its just personal preference.

Not Really Bob

I used rubber once on a TH350 and it leaked, but I think the pan was the problem. On my 4L60e's I've used both cork and graphite with good results. Every time i reinstall a pan, I torque the bolts to the very light factory spec. I think most pan leakage problems come from people over-torquing, since most don't realize the toque spec is only about 10 ft-lbs.
    99 Silverado ECSB 4X4, LQ4, Patriot Stg. 2 243's w/ 59cc chambers, TR224-112, Pacesetter LT's, Nelson tune, FLT Lvl 5.5, PI 3400, UD pulley, 160* t-stat, E-fans, 6'' Fabtech lift, 3'' body lift, 37'' XTerrains, 4.56's, 4'' shackle flip 13.3 @ 99mph on 37's or 13.0 @ 101mph on 31's

I only use rubber, yours was most likely over torqued and the pan rail is warped and causing the leak, 10 to 12 ft. lbs. torque max!
    Big E