If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Replacing the distributor gear

This is a discussion on Replacing the distributor gear within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I've got a 1997 5.7 vortec, and it misses subtly at highway speed. I've got a lot of miles 250k, ...

Replacing the distributor gear

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I've got a 1997 5.7 vortec, and it misses subtly at highway speed. I've got a lot of miles 250k, so I figured this the gear is a pretty good candidate of my problem from what I've read around here. So what are the steps in doing this? I really don't want to put the dizzy back in there wrong and have the timing or something way off.
    Last edited by slewis; 03-13-2010 at 12:18 AM.

Re: Replacing the distributor gear

Well...I would replace the entire Dist....with a OEM or the Nice one off ebay...There is more to it then the gear that gets worn down...Anyways...Take cap off...Mark router and base....pull it up and mark router again so it lines up with mark on base...do not move the router while doing this....Take a punch and knock roll pin out...Use a puller to pull gear off....Install new gear...Drop the dist back in making sure line 2 on router is lines up with base mark...When u drop it back in the first mark will be lined up with base mark.....but like i said....Just buy a new one and transfer all the marks to the new on.....Just make sure u make ur base mark some ware u can compare...like a screw hole for the cap would work...

I'd do the entire dizzy, but I found a new gear really cheap so I thought I'd try that first, thanks.

let me know how you make out think ihave the same problem

when my dizzy gear failed I had no warning what so ever. It was driving perfectly fine and then instantly died do to lack of spark. Had several teeth missing and were very sharp if I recall. Teeth were probably missing from me cranking on it trying to figure out whats wrong.
    96 extended cab z71, 350 Vortec, 4x4, 4l60-E, 3.42, G80

Alright, I got it out, new gear on, but can't get the dizzy to slide all the way back in. It stops with about 1/2 inch to go. I realize that the it has to slide into the oil pump shaft, and that a screwdriver can be used to turn it to line it up. However I can't get my head back far enough to look down the hole, and when I stick a long screwdriver down there it doesn't feel like it is turning anythingAny advice?
    Last edited by slewis; 03-14-2010 at 02:51 PM.

Ok well ur hitting the oil pump drive rod..You gotta play with it a little bit...U might of got a gear that has the roll pin hole thats in another location...so take a screw driver and stick it in the hole and move the shaft a lil bit till it lines up...But i would try it one more time before u do that...If line 2 is lined up with the base...it should drop right in...hold the rotor and base as one and try to rotate the base a lil bit to see if drops in...If not do the screw driver thing....And it takes a lil bit to get the screw driver to line up....And make sure u have a big big big screw driver
    Last edited by redneckchevy; 03-14-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Finally got it to slide in, so far it seems to have solved my missing/stumbling issue. The old distributor gear was noticeably worn down, not to mention the cap and rotor had a little corrosion on them that I cleaned up. Anyways from the little test run I took it runs smoother now, hopefully the problem is solved. Thanks for the help, screwdriver did the trick finally.

Here's my 250,000 mile young distributor gear, definitely had the "knife edged" look that comes from tons of miles. Not to mention it was chipped in a couple places. I can honestly say that the edges of this gear were 50% thinner than the replacement.

Last edited by slewis; 03-14-2010 at 11:30 PM.

My 93 5.7 Suburban with 190k miles has an occasional whine/buzz that seems to be coming from the distributor area. Would a worn distributor gear ("knife edge" teeth) cause that? I always wondered if it was a lack of lubrication somehow. Would the whine/buzz be an indication of possible failure not too far in the future? I'll probably just replace the gear or the entire unit but am looking for some validation from the vastly experienced on this topic. Thanks.