GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Noise when turning

This is a discussion on Noise when turning within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 1992 Suburban 4x4. Just yesterday I noticed a odd sound (slight grinding) when turning especially to the ...

Noise when turning

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 1992 Suburban 4x4. Just yesterday I noticed a odd sound (slight grinding) when turning especially to the left.

Most noticeable when at slow speed like turning into a parking spot. The steering wheel seems fine - no other problems. Appears to be coming from the passenger side front wheel area.

I do know the upper Ball Joint on the drivers side needs to be replaced the boot is leaking grease.

Checks the PS fluid and seemed awfully high - maybe my imagination. Engine was off for about 10 minutes and I just checked for any fluid and it was ~1/2" from the top of the housing. I just checked this morning when cold and it was still high maybe 3/4" above the Cold mark.

ETA: It also makes this noise when the truck is stopped and the wheel is turned.
    Last edited by Dr-G; 03-17-2010 at 06:45 AM.

the sea hates a coward rebelbowtie's Avatar

Re: Noise when turning

Wheel bearing IMO ...Jack the truck up rotate the tire, you can put a stethoscope on the hub or on the spindle and hear it grinding. If it happens when you turn to the left then it's your right wheel bearing

New info added to OP: It also makes this noise when the truck is stopped and the wheel is turned.

I it to be a wheel bearing as well. or something wrong with the power steering pump or box

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, Custom Solid axle conversion using a Dana 60, 4 link up front 12 inch leafs in the rear, 5.13 gears, hydro assist steering, 20x10 moto metal wheels, 44 inch Michelin XL tires.

1987 Chevy M1008, All stock for now, turbo and 4 inch lift coming soon. 14,000 miles on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr-G View Post
    ETA: It also makes this noise when the truck is stopped and the wheel is turned.
    The steering wheel, or wheel and tire is turned? If you are saying turning the wheel and tire while stopped makes the noise, then yes I would look at the bearings. If you are talking about turning the "steering" wheel when stopped and it still makes the sound, I would check the steering components like ball joints, steering box, idler arm etc.

I have a sound in my steering as well at low speeds and turning left too...its more a groaning than a grinding i would say though.

I had it checked out by a dealership and my reputable shop....both say its the steering box. But it works fine, just likes to groan. Ive had the fluid changed in it and that didnt help. Ive learned to live with it.

Its been doing this since about 90,000 miles.....truck now has 110,000 on it. And in the mean time i have replaced the whole front end; balljoints, tierods, pitman/idler, wheel bearings/hubs, cv axles. Upper and lower control arm bushings. everything.

So it may not be your wheel bearing, but i would still have it checked out.
    Last edited by blackknight; 03-17-2010 at 08:00 AM.
    Back in a truck!
    Current: 2014 GMC Sierra Z71 All Terrain
    Past: 2002 Silverado|5.3|RCX|Cognito|Blackbear

Completed:HID TSX Projector Retrofit

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to have it checked out. I don't want to drive it too much until I know for sure. Trying to budget for the repair. [fingers crossed]

Had the front of the truck up the other day. I can't replicate the sound. Everything seems tight.

A friend of mine mentioned bushings. The mechanic also said it may be the sway bar bushing.

Seems when it is cold there is not problem but after I drive a while then the sound comes back.

Could the bushing be harder when cold and as it warms up from friction starts to squeak?

The sound is worsening slowly. Still most noted when turning Rt only at low speeds, pretty sure it's the bushings. The local auto parts store has the main bushing for $33 each. LMC has the whole set including the outer ones for $39.99. How difficult a job to do them all? Any tricks or should I just do the main two?

ETA:
    Actually, yesterday, I had my 4 yr old turn the wheel while I was watching under the hood. It appears to be the steering links. I greased them again, but not much change. Can't tell if it's from the steering box or the joints.
    Last edited by Dr-G; 05-23-2010 at 07:02 PM.