GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Truck dies when putting it into gear

This is a discussion on Truck dies when putting it into gear within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; 88 K1500 automatic 5.7 TBI, stock except TBI spacer. As stated in the title a new issue just started. But ...

Truck dies when putting it into gear

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    88 K1500 automatic 5.7 TBI, stock except TBI spacer.
    As stated in the title a new issue just started. But before I get a barage of pointers and such let me say what has been done and history of the truck.
    FYI, I bought the truck a month ago from my buddy. I've been putting new parts on the truck not to trouble shoot any issues, but just because the parts were all 22 years old.

GM Crate 350 new just 1.5 years ago.
    Transmission was rebuilt 2 years ago by a shop and electric TCC was replaced with a Hydro type

Fuel pump and filter are new
    Engine main> New TPS, pcv, IAC, MAP, EGR, EGR solenoid, TBI Rebuilt, New Radiator, new ECT, Plugs, Cap, Rotor, wires, Thermostat. Again all put on because parts are old.
    As of a week ago the truck only had a part throttle and coughing issue which the EGR valve corrected. Also the IAC corrected a slight Idle issue or hunting of idle on the tach.

The issue of dying when putting the truck into gear is a new issue. NOTE: Issue was happening prior to rebuilding the TBI, I just rebuilt the TBI today. I did a search and it seems like a common enough problem. Most recommend the IAC or TCC.
    I don't have an idle problem so the IAC seems to be ruled out? Also the TCC on my truck isn't electric, and the issue never happened before, it just started happening.
    Today I had the TBI off, so I went through the vac lines, ect. everything is good. Outside a bad PCM or the coil, which are the only two parts on this truck that isn't new, I'm at a loss. Also it doesn't always do it. It has nothing to do with sitting for a long time or doing it when it's hot. It is just intermittent.
    FYI truck idles right at 700rpm. When it's put in gear the RPM drops real low and truck dies out.
    Last edited by tim87114; 03-21-2010 at 12:16 AM.

Re: Truck dies when putting it into gear

another thing. I did notice as I've pulled the TBI a couple times. The IAC is always "parked" at a full open position, is this normal? When I have not performed the IAC cal as noted in the TBI forums.

I have not checked the Fuel Pump cut off switch. But I have also noticed if you turn the wheel to full lock when putting a load on the engine it bogs way down as well. But there isn't a PS switch on this truck either, so I'm not sure how the computer would know to increase throttle which I'm assuming is via IAC.
    Last edited by tim87114; 03-21-2010 at 12:11 AM.

a bad module in the disturbitor will cause this i had a 79 chevy truck everytime i droped it in gear it would die
    4x4k20 if money was trouble i would have plenty of it

I was wondering about that too. I have not changed the ignition module or coil pick up in the dist yet.
    I did pick up a new coil today. I'll have to wait on the other two parts till next payday. The truck runs awsome now that almost everything is new I'll definately throw an ignition module at it. I'm sure it's original as well.

Had the same issue on my 87 K5. Ran great until you try to move then it died. Turned out to be the TBI/manifold gasket leaking. Since you added a spacer you will need to check both.
    -- Mike

yep tbi gaskets are new. I did notice though when I pulled the TBI off you could see the TBI gasket between the spacer and the intake was leaking. When I bought the TBI kit, I bought and Extra gasket which was also thicker. The gasket that came with the spacer was paper thin and had no give. So any deformation of the plane would leak as it did.

FYI, Ran errands all day yesterday and no issues what so ever. Then today on my way to work stopped for coffee and came out, it died putting it in reverse. But it always starts right back up.

Check IAC counts it should be 15-30 engine hot running in gear. If the min air has been changed the counts will be too low and stalling will occur. Never heard of a hydro TCC.

Quote Originally Posted by tim87114 View Post
    yep tbi gaskets are new. I did notice though when I pulled the TBI off you could see the TBI gasket between the spacer and the intake was leaking. When I bought the TBI kit, I bought and Extra gasket which was also thicker. The gasket that came with the spacer was paper thin and had no give. So any deformation of the plane would leak as it did.

FYI, Ran errands all day yesterday and no issues what so ever. Then today on my way to work stopped for coffee and came out, it died putting it in reverse. But it always starts right back up.
    04 K1500 Silverado EXT 3:73 gears, 5.3L 265/75-16,Pace Edwards tonneau,

It's probably a bad coolant temp sensor. My truck is a 95 and would do the same thing from time to time. I replaced it and haven't had the problem in two weeks. Their only 12 bucks so it's not to big of deal just causes the truck to run bad.

Check your ignition slider switch. This is a very common issue, escpecially on trucks with tilt steering and/or a loose steering colunm. If you dont know where it is, pop the panel off under your dash to expose the steering column. There should be a thin rod that runs from up inside the column, down to a switch. There might also be one for your hi/lo beams also, so turn the key switch and observe which rod moves, and whichever switch is connected to the rod is your ignition switch. Sometimes they get loose or move a bit over time, so readjust that and see if it cures or helps the problem. It might just need replacing, but it is a sub-20$ part, which is nice.

-Nick
    1988 Chevy Silverado 5.9L Cummins : 1968 Ford Mustang Pro-Touring

I worked on a friend's truck that had the same problem. One of the wires going to the MAP sensor was bad. I first notice that idle was fine in Park or Neutral, but died in gear. I unhooked the MAP sensor and tried running the engine. Ran fine and it didn't die. I checked the wiring going to the MAP sensor like Chilton's manual says and one wire was bad.

So check the wiring for the MAP sensor with a multimeter.
    2005 Chevy Corvette LS2 DD 105k
    1991 Firebird n/a 190k
    1987 Silverado 350 HSR 230k
    1980 Bonneville 350 Olds. diesel 198k
    1993 G20 350TBI 252k

Ok I'll check the MAP wiring.

Here's what I did so far as it's an "old" truck. Bought and Ignition control module and Spark control Module. While changing the ICM noticed it was a NAPA part and the Pickup was brand new as well. My buddy knew nothing of it. So maybe when the shop put his engine in that was part of the package and he just didn't know.
    Anyhow. ICM and SCM didn't fix it.
    I'll check the IGN slider switch too. That's a good point, easy to check... If I don't figure it out I'll just take it in. I did notice the damper looks likes it's bad. Wobbles all over the place. So I guess I'll have to replace that before I have it worked on.