***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

00 silverado P0300 code of death

This is a discussion on 00 silverado P0300 code of death within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; hello all well as u seen in the title i have the stupid stinking P0300 random cylinder missfire code i ...

00 silverado P0300 code of death

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    hello all

well as u seen in the title i have the stupid stinking P0300 random cylinder missfire code

i normally am a reader on the site ...i just browse threw forums soakin in all the info i can ...and i try to help and contribute back when someone asks a question i know the answer to...but i think this time i be needing the help lol

As i have read threw this site and on the internet about the p0300 ...it just doesnt really get in depth as i think i have gotten into

Now little info on...what symptoms it has and the parts i have preplaced...some of the parts i list may or may not pertain to the problem at hand...but i will atleast list them so u all know what has been put into the truck

Problem is im getting a slight random Lean missfire in cylinders 5 and 8....and sometimes cyl 2..so slight u dont even notice it while is at idle and truck has no drivability issues..no stumbles miss nothing

Info on truck....All parts were installed within the last 4 months
    2000 silverado 4.8l truck OD reads 177,000 miles
    (2)New high flow cats
    (4)New Delphi o2 sensors
    New Mass Air Flow sensor
    New intake manifold gaskets
    (8)New AC delco sparkplugs
    New plug wires
    New fuel filter
    New Delphi Fuel Pump
    Used Idle Air Control...had an idle problem long before ...used IAC fixed idle problem
    New fuel pressure Regulator

Im sure there are other parts that could cause this problem ..but i would like to think that...that certain part would throw its own separate code ..i could be wrong

what all we have checked

Checked cylinder compression ...every cylinder around 170
    Pulled valve covers and checked all valves incase any were cracked or broke..motor is very clean uptop ...
    Swapped around coilpacks to see if the cylinder missfire moved cylinders..nothing changed
    Swapped around Fuel injectors to see if missfire would move cylinders...nothing changed

Im not real handy with a scan tool ...its my one friend who checks everything on that ....if u would have any questions that the scan tool may have read u would need to post it and i will ask him and respond

All i know how he said it was it was a slight lean missfire...

the upstream o2 i read where supposed to stay around 450mV ...i wachted the numbers on the scan tool and they go anywhere from 400mV ...up to around 627mV and back down

If u think i missed anything let me know

ANY input would be greatly apperciated ..because the way it is now ...the truck should of been inspected last November ...and i have been chasing down this code ever since lol

Thank you
    Erik
    Last edited by edean37; 03-29-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Re: 00 silverado P0300 code of death

hey that makes 2 of us with the same problem...gm's epic fail !! i just finished my intake gaskets now and cleaned out my dirty injectors...i also have a lean misfire not sure what cylinders but i can feel it slightly at idle and above 2500rps i set my SES light off WTF !! im so frustrated right now, im about ready to just do a duramax swap...lets help each other out and fix this common problem, i just called the dealer and my trucks going on the live scan in the am....lets see what they come up with at the stealership
    2002 Chevy 2500HD- Flowmaster 40, Walker Hi-Flow cats,K&N filter,Custom dump kit, pvc CAI, sittin 33's on Outlaw II wheels and Cooper ATR tires
    1983 Chevy C-30- Cummins 6bt powered,#10 fuel plate,afc FF,6" dual miter cut stacks,sm465 trans,4bt flywheel

sounds like a plan ...my one friend used to work for the GM dealership for 15 years and i got him stumped...

i was also told to go to the dealer and put it on scan ....and see if theres a pcm update for it ....but the starting rate is 80 bucks /hr ...1 hr min. ...and i dont feel like throwing that money down the crapper if they cant find anything ....id rather just get some input from u guys and try to fix it myself or atleast get a general idea what to do next

i already spent over $1000 in the work and parts so far ....

ya, you and me both im up to about 600$ right now im starting to get all kinds of random a$$ codes come up for no reason so now im starting to think my PCM is a possible culprit.....looks like im gonna be getting a custom tuned on, its going to the sealership in the am so ill post what they find, im sick of throwing parts at it, ive got 3 of my friens that are GM certified and 1's a master and they are all dumbfounded over this, tech 2 tool will tell all !!
    2002 Chevy 2500HD- Flowmaster 40, Walker Hi-Flow cats,K&N filter,Custom dump kit, pvc CAI, sittin 33's on Outlaw II wheels and Cooper ATR tires
    1983 Chevy C-30- Cummins 6bt powered,#10 fuel plate,afc FF,6" dual miter cut stacks,sm465 trans,4bt flywheel

what scan tool is your freind using? if autoxray pm me an email address and i will send you my scan data(good running 2002 4.8 with no misfires)
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

might be an intake vacuum leak. pm an email you can open the file using notepad to read it in text format.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

im guessing it wouldnt hurt to go around the intake with a can of carb cleaner or ether..and spray it to check for any vacuum leaks

i did my intake gaskets today and it lowered my long term fuel trim by 12% back down to a more believable # of 4% i just dropped it off at the stealership 1/2 hour ago...first time ever !! 101k and its never seen a dealership, figures i paid for the extended warranty an d never used it. lets see what they come back with from the tech 2 scanner... i should know by noon whats going on,

i read some stuff about the torque converters going out of balance on the 6.0l 's and setting offf all kinds of missfire codes, mine actually fits the description of the symptomas and since ive tried almost everything else im starting to believe it....guess its time to do that 6speed swap ive been putting on hold if this is the case, ill keep you guys informed many people i know are completely stumped about it !

well.......dealership just called me and told me the checkvalve in my brand new fuel pump was junk ...at leat the parts store will let me exchange it....194$ later for them to figure it out WTF !!! all my coils and ignition system checked out fine which is goo news he said that #6 cylinder was missing the most and 1, 3 , 5 were also missing alot, i hope its just this defective pump

well i couldnt see that being my problem ...but who knows

im gonna check for a vacuum leak in a bit ....anything else u guys can think of to check while im under the hood ?

well i solved my check valve issue, when i replaced the FPR yesterday i tore an o ring and it wasnt seating properly, im going to have the injectors tested and balanced in the am..