GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1995 Chevy K1500 5.7 will not start

This is a discussion on 1995 Chevy K1500 5.7 will not start within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Any input would be helpful for this problem I am having. 1995 Chevy K1500 4X4 5.7L engine. Truck ran fine ...

1995 Chevy K1500 5.7 will not start

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Any input would be helpful for this problem I am having. 1995 Chevy K1500 4X4 5.7L engine. Truck ran fine other day, today engine turns over, but will not start. Fuel pump is working fine (new pump), popped fuel line at TBI and have good pressure. Pulled one plug lead, I have a spark but it is orange and not bright blue. Replaced ignition coil, same result. Removed distributor rotor and cap, cleaned and have same result. If I depress gas pedal all the way while cranking, engine will attempt to kick over, but still will not start. I did get the engine to start one time only, engine ran like crap with roughness and unburned fuel odor in exhaust. Anyone have any suggestions. I have air....fuel....and spark... Anyone else ever come acrossed this?? Thanks!!
    1995 K1500 4x4 EXT. CAB 5.7L

Re: 1995 Chevy K1500 5.7 will not start

Do the injectors spray fuel while engine is cranking over? if not remove ignition control module and get it tested at parts store.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

Yes, TBI injectors spray fuel. My next guess is the ignition control module. I have read elsewhere that they will fail completely. Has anyone seen where a faulty Ignition control module will cause a weak spark?? Thanks..---GB7C

weak spark usually caused by coil, but its possible the module could be faulty. heres a wire diagram: ensure the module bolts are grounding it to the distributor base. Another possibility is pick up coil is damaged. to test it use multimeter set to ohms. disconnect pick up coil wires. check resistance between the two wires(red lead on one black lead on other. 500-1500 ohms.
    Matching Ninja 500r

FYI Problem discovered....after much troubleshooting and researching, the unlikely culprit turned out to be a bad engine coolant temp sensor. I would have never guessed this to be the issue due to the fact that previously, I had no issue with the gauge on the instrument cluster. Once I plugged in a new sensor, the truck started right up and ran fine. In disbelief, I then plugged in the old sensor, and the truck again would not start. Somehow, the sensor was sending a signal to the TBI injector calling for too much fuel thus flooding out the engine to the point where it would not run. This problem occured all of the sudden in my case and was not gradual. It's real nice that the factory manuals and the Haynes manuals don't even talk about this to be a culprit for hard starting on these trucks.

The temp guage sender is on the driver side head.
    the coolant temp sensor is only for the ecm.
    Matching Ninja 500r

I ran in to a problem similar to this about two months ago...

I performed a major tune up (rotoro, cap, plug wires, plugs, checked compression, O2 sensor)... After the work was complete, the engine ran fine for about 2 mintues, then wented to an extemely rough idle for about 10 seconds, and then died... It would not try to start at all... I verified good spark at all of the plugs, verfied good fuel flow and fuel pressure, and verified mechanical timing (#1 at TDC), and verified the pickup coil on the distributor was good...

I changed the ignition coil thinking that maybe it was a weak coil (takes a much stronger coil to produce spark with it under compression, than in free air)... That was not the problem...

Basically, the engine acted like it was out of time... It came down to being the ignition module... In my case the ignition module did not fail completely... Actually, only the "timing" porition failed... After replacement of the module, it started up and purred like a kitten...
    Last edited by MI0706; 04-05-2010 at 02:07 PM.
    1992 Full Size Blazer, 5.7L tbi, 4x4, 4L60, 2000 watt Hifonics system. In process of restoration. Planning a 300+ Hp engine swap, custom interior, repaint, and Infinity Kappa components and an Audioque sub powered by Sundown amps.

my truck is doing this has orange spark... the new ignition module is like 80 bucks and dont wanna spend it if im just guessing.
    The names Clint Carpenter
    I have a 98 1500 ex cab
    6" procomp and 35's

Are all plugs showing the same orange spark? Reason I ask is if they are then I would look at the cap, rotor, ignition coil, and ignition coil wire. If it is just one, then I would check that plug wire and probably install a new set of plugs. Check these things first before you go giving the money for a new ignition module.
    1992 Full Size Blazer, 5.7L tbi, 4x4, 4L60, 2000 watt Hifonics system. In process of restoration. Planning a 300+ Hp engine swap, custom interior, repaint, and Infinity Kappa components and an Audioque sub powered by Sundown amps.

CTS and TPS will cause the same issue you are describing because they are linked. Both pop up out of no where usually and are difficult to trouble shoot if you don't get an MIL on the dash.
    I had a 2005 Mazda MPV strand my wife at the store in the middle of the night. It would just crank and crank. I checked the fuel pressure and it was good so I tested the TPS by feathering the gas pedal between 3/4 and full to the floor while cranking.
    Much like a carb'd engine if the TPS is pegged then it will read full voltage, and if the CTS failed in the pegged mode then it too would see full voltage making the computer respond accordingly. The van started after a few cranks then ran like garbage and very rich. As long as I kept it at a high idle and in 3rd gear it was fine to drive. At least I was able to drive it home. I just replaced both the TPS and the CTS because on the maz they are near each other. But something to keep in mind on the truck, for others. This trick will generally work on Fuel injected vehicles if the TPS or CTS has gone out. NOTE: Most vehicles running MAF or MASS are in conjuction with the TPS and CTS. So make sure there isn't any thing in there either.

Thumbs up Re: 1995 Chevy K1500 5.7 will not start

Quote Originally Posted by gb7c View Post
    FYI Problem discovered....after much troubleshooting and researching, the unlikely culprit turned out to be a bad engine coolant temp sensor. I would have never guessed this to be the issue due to the fact that previously, I had no issue with the gauge on the instrument cluster. Once I plugged in a new sensor, the truck started right up and ran fine. In disbelief, I then plugged in the old sensor, and the truck again would not start. Somehow, the sensor was sending a signal to the TBI injector calling for too much fuel thus flooding out the engine to the point where it would not run. This problem occured all of the sudden in my case and was not gradual. It's real nice that the factory manuals and the Haynes manuals don't even talk about this to be a culprit for hard starting on these trucks.
    I jsut want to say THANKYOU for this. This was my problem too. With going through a lot of crap and i jsut ried this simple thing and it worked........
    This is the best site ever and i will alweays refer other to it too.

Quote Originally Posted by MI0706 View Post
    I ran in to a problem similar to this about two months ago...

I performed a major tune up (rotoro, cap, plug wires, plugs, checked compression, O2 sensor)... After the work was complete, the engine ran fine for about 2 mintues, then wented to an extemely rough idle for about 10 seconds, and then died... It would not try to start at all... I verified good spark at all of the plugs, verfied good fuel flow and fuel pressure, and verified mechanical timing (#1 at TDC), and verified the pickup coil on the distributor was good...

I changed the ignition coil thinking that maybe it was a weak coil (takes a much stronger coil to produce spark with it under compression, than in free air)... That was not the problem...

Basically, the engine acted like it was out of time... It came down to being the ignition module... In my case the ignition module did not fail completely... Actually, only the "timing" porition failed... After replacement of the module, it started up and purred like a kitten...
    im having some trouble like this and was wondering if maybe this might be the problem with my truck. a few nights ago i hit a pot hole and lost all power to my truck but my lights, so far i have replaced my starter and my neutral safty switch, for some reason when i turn my key it wont even attempt to turn over, also dont know if it matters but my shift gauge isnt lighting up, any idea if theignition module might fix this or have any clue?

They're coming for us 1988 GMC 355's Avatar

sounds like a bad ground somewhere^^

'95 GMC Z71|L05|GT4|Yukon 17s|Belltech|Purple Keys|FastChip|Hedman|Borla |XtremeFI|Goodmark|Kenwood|Memphis|Ultimate TBI Mods|E Fan|
    Yes it is a 4x4, yes it is lowered

5200 lbs. at 13.0/17.0MPG
    1988 GMC SOLD

thats what i thought too but all my wires to and from the starter are tight unless it might be another ground?

ya there is engine to frame grounds, engine to body grounds

'95 GMC Z71|L05|GT4|Yukon 17s|Belltech|Purple Keys|FastChip|Hedman|Borla |XtremeFI|Goodmark|Kenwood|Memphis|Ultimate TBI Mods|E Fan|

1988 GMC SOLD

ill check it out when i get home, dont know if it makes any differance either but, my dash lights also work, but none of the temp, batt, or pressure gauges move when i turn the key, and the batt is fully charged

I had the same problem on a 89 I had one time....

check all the grounds on the engine too, there are ground on the thermostat housing too.

1988 GMC SOLD

gave it a good once over after work, all grounds are tight and all wires conected, maybe try the ignition module tomorrow since its on the cheep side? lets hope

Thought you got it fixed bad CTS ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast