If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

recommended tire pressure

This is a discussion on recommended tire pressure within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a 93 RCLB 4.3L. It had 31's on it when I bought it. I just replaced the tires ...

recommended tire pressure

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 93 RCLB 4.3L. It had 31's on it when I bought it. I just replaced the tires with another set of 31's (BFG Radial Long Train TA). Does TA mean T***s and *ss? Anyway, the shop inflated them to 35lbs which seems to work good. Since they are nowhere near the original size, I can't be by what's on the door placard. What air pressure would work best? More Info:

In four years, I have loaded to where the body noticeably sinks maybe twice
    It's a 2 wheel drive, and I don't off road but there's lots of mud in my yard and I've been stuck before
    I drive 30 miles to work and back which is almost all highway.
    The last set lasted 52000 miles running at mid 40's for air pressure with somewhat more wear in the middle tread than the edges.

Re: recommended tire pressure

35 is the recommended tire pressure for that truck, doesnt matter if there 28's or 44's thats whats recommended for that vehicle, obviously some people need to run more or less depending on how u use ur vehicle but if the middle was more worn out then the outsides then they where overinflated, 35 psi will give u optimum life and ride out of those tires

also check whats recommended on the sidewall of the tire i lnow from wheni worked at sears auto alot of times the manufacturer was very specific about the pressure of the tire which sometimes differed from the truck truck specs but that was only due to a bigger size tire then what came on the truck

the pressure on the tire is MAXIMUM pressure, not recommended it clearly says that so u dont fill a passenger car tire up with 80 psi and then slap it on a one ton

agree with "toomanyballs". Just went through this on my truck this weekend. I had a set of 33x12.5x15's on my wrangler. I aired down once and then refilled. I just looked at the max psi of the tire. Comes to find out I overfilled the tire per the weight of the vehicle. The jeep states 35psi, and I wore the centers down about a 1/16th of an inch than the outers. I wanted them on my truck and the tire guys school'd me on it. I actually asked the question first and they explained it to me. It was news to me, so now I know.

all the tires i have ever seen say the max pressure and then it will give a general range between say 32-38 psi

Learnin' the hard way. Shwa Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RednckChevy View Post
    all the tires i have ever seen say the max pressure and then it will give a general range between say 32-38 psi
    That's just the tip of the iceberg.
    MOST are around 27-35 psi (including car or "P rated" tires), a lot have a max of 44 psi (I dk why but that's a magic number) and some LT tires go as high as 120psi.
    3/4 ton trucks usually have a 60 front/80 rear reccomended pressure depending on make model year.

Long story short, go by the recommended pressure in the door. If you're towing or muddiing adjust accordingly.
    Last edited by Shwa Kid; 04-06-2010 at 11:10 PM.
    -Pat

"I drive it like I built it.... poorly."

depends on what "LOAD" the tire is obviously a higher load tire will take different pressure than a stock Passenger tire
    NEW 2004 Sierra D-MAX

My door sticker says 35 psi cold, but I've had much better luck running in the low 40 psi range with my last two sets of tires. Keep an eye on tire wear before your first rotation and that should give you an indication.
    1999 2 Door Tahoe 4x4 w/ 14 Bolt SF & TruTrac. All kinds of upgrades, SOLD 1/2012
    2008 Silverado 1500 Z71, leveling kit, exhaust, SOLD 9/2014
    2014 Silverado 1500 Z71, stock for now

I almost never put any kind of weight on this truck. It's a getter. It gets me to work, it gets me to the dump, it gets the groceries, and it gets me dirty.

I run around 40-42 with my LT 265/75/16 load range C. My door sticker also says 35, but 40-42 i get even wear. 35 is better then what my f150 said. 25F 32R, that was for stock 255/70/16. I ran that size tire at 35-40.

2000 Chevy Silverado Z71
    5.3L 4.10's G80

I Love my Chevy Trucks davbell22602's Avatar

Go by the door sticker if its still there. I have 90 and its gone.
    1997 Chevy K1500 4x4 truck. 350Vortec

Quote Originally Posted by toomanyballs View Post
    35 is the recommended tire pressure for that truck, doesnt matter if there 28's or 44's thats whats recommended for that vehicle, obviously some people need to run more or less depending on how u use ur vehicle but if the middle was more worn out then the outsides then they where overinflated, 35 psi will give u optimum life and ride out of those tires

Matters HUGE. Door sticker tire pressure is only for OE tire size. Believing otherwise is dangerous.

For example, my door sticker says 55psi, 225/75/16. Put that in my 32x11.50x15 BFG (max 40psi) and watch them explode.

As soon as you change size, load range in the same size, etc, that door sticker means very little. Chalk test will tell the truth.

I run 30/28 now. 50,000mi 50% tread left, and 18mpg.
    Last edited by Quyonmob; 04-07-2010 at 06:11 PM.

I just put new tires on my truck . I went with the stock size but instead of running a P245/75/16 I am running a LT245/75/16 load range E. The P tire was 44 psi cold max and these dang LT's are 80 psi cold max. They inflated them at 36psi from the tire shop and they looked almost flat. The sidewalls were bulging something fierce. I aired up to 38psi but they still looked bulgy. A buddy said air them to 50psi. I did and drove it home, around a 4 mile trip. Harsh ride compared to the 36psi. Is 50 psi too much for everyday driving? Should I air them down a bit?

i would say 42 to 45 would be ideal.
    you now have a load E tire either 1,3 or 5 ply tire. so its definatly going to run a lot harder.
    i run LT tires and more psi cause
    I LIKE MY TRUCK TO RIDE LIKE A TRUCK
    NEW 2004 Sierra D-MAX

Thanks brettj2408. Thats the idea I was goin with when I chose the LT's. I wanted a truck tire. It did ride nice at 35 psi but it just didnt look right lookin flat like that.