If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

97 K1500 Fuel Filter Rusted On

This is a discussion on 97 K1500 Fuel Filter Rusted On within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; How do I get a rusted fuel filter off??? Looks like its been on for the life of the vehicle, ...

97 K1500 Fuel Filter Rusted On

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    How do I get a rusted fuel filter off??? Looks like its been on for the life of the vehicle, 135k miles. Wanted to change it out but its rusted stuck. Can't put a torch to a fuel line!!!
    Last edited by countryboi; 05-12-2010 at 09:25 AM.

Re: 97 K1500 Fuel Filter Rusted On

i Had the same problem. I went to autozone/NAPA last week to ask them questions. My friend was a mechanic and I should have at least tried out his idea of cutting the lines and using fuel injector and just some ordinary clips with a ford filter. However, the autozone guy said it might not hold and the NAPA guy said the same, so I went with the NAPA guys idea and bought some fittings that go from steel to the plastic fuel line to the filter to more plastic fuel line to steel. I didnt expect it to be over $20, and it totaled $49. Still cheaper than replacing the whole steel line, and its held up, but i was like WTF!?!?!? 49 for a bunch of fittings. It's held up decently however.

loose nut behind da wheel JeremyB's Avatar

Soak the threads with PB Blaster for a while and wait a day or so

yeah. spray the line with rust penetrant and you will have much better luck using line wrenches.
    NEW 2004 Sierra D-MAX

I thought about that, but I was worried about cutting the line and getting sparks with the metal. I'm gonna try PB Plaster first.

it should come off unless the rust looks like its gone al the way though the line

98 k1500 5.7 Magnaflow exhaust BBK 80 mm throttle body AEM brute force CAI nelson performance tune 93 octane RC 6" 285/70/17 BFG KM2 4 14 bolt sf disk brakes 4l60e fully built

yeah try the pb blaster first, but like my situation... i didnt cut it, i used one of those little pipe cutters, where u just tighten it around the pipe and keep turning it.

ditto but take your time. You may need to spray and wait a few times before it works.

If you could make up a mixture of acetone and automatic transmission fluid, it will be a much better penetrating fluid than any of the commercial products you can buy.

Pour it on the joints for a few days and remember the truck needs to be cool as the acetone - automatic transmission fluid is very flammable,

But, if you are uncomfortable using this mixture then just use the commercial brand, but wait a few days and give them time to work.

Be sure to use flare tools when working with the nuts. (May need to buy some new tools if you do not have a set, these tools will help to keep from rounding off the nuts).

However, once you get the fuel filter changed, you should change the fuel filter every 15K to help save the fuel pump.

Good luck,

Need a landscaper?

I have had this issue a few times. I also would have this issue with the thermostat housing bolt on the TBIs. Both of them rust and corrode! Im in the same dilema right now. What I have learned in the past is my 2 week prep program. I just get under there and use liquid wrench (I have never used PB Blaster or heard of it until I came on here) once a day for 2 weeks straight. By the time I go to get the stuck bolt or filter off, the rust is never an issue. Making sure you have a good tight fitting wrench also can make or break a job. Stanley tools suck balls for accurate fittings when working on my vehicles.
    1995 K2500 Ext Cab 5.7 5spd NV4500(RPO MW3) 4x4 8600GVW, 3.42 rear end, New Edelbrok 3704 Performer TBI Intake, ZOOM 30014 Performance Clutch, 265/75/R16 8 Lug
    2001 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab Long bed, 6.0 Stock, 4L80E, 265/75/R16 8 Lug

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell1 View Post
    If you could make up a mixture of acetone and automatic transmission fluid, it will be a much better penetrating fluid than any of the commercial products you can buy.
    That's exactly what I was going to say.
    1999 2 Door Tahoe 4x4 w/ 14 Bolt SF & TruTrac. All kinds of upgrades, SOLD 1/2012
    2008 Silverado 1500 Z71, leveling kit, exhaust, SOLD 9/2014
    2014 Silverado 1500 Z71, stock for now

Like others said, use a penetrating fluid for a few days, and make sure you are using proper line wrenches, not an open end.

I did the fuel filter on my 92 the other day. Michigan truck. I almost cried when I looked at the filter. "NO WAY" I thought. Hit it with PB Blaster about 4 times in 2 weeks, when at it with line wrenches. Broke loose with very little effort, and I was able to just spin the fittings with my fingers from there.

92 K1500 WT - Gone
    92 C2500 - Current. Scottsdale, 350tbi, 4L80E, 14 bolt sf

Yep, soak them in penetrating oil, and use a GOOD flare nut wrench. Cheap flare nut wrenches are nothing but trouble.

'01 2500 6.0 K&N, Flowmaster

Worst case scenario you use gotta do a custom filter setup. I dont have much experience with fuel lines. But I have installed hundreds of tranny coolers. So not sure how it compares so much? Do fuel lines put out as much pressure as tranny cooler lines? And not sure if you can use rubber hose in fuel lines? If so then it should be relatively easy. Compression fittings were my best friend. Just cut the old lines with a mini-pipe cutter. Then add a couple compression fittings with rubber hose flanges on the end. Then get some reinforced rubber hose. This is where Id want to find out if fuel will eat away at rubber not sure on that one? Tranny fluid doesnt. And get a filter that is compareable to your stock or better that also has the rubber hose flanges. Use some hose clamps to finnish it off. Or maybe you could find some compression fittings that would thread right into the stock filter? That would take much more accuarcy with the cut and fit, but you wouldnt need to use rubber. Anywasy just some thoughts on some other options you may have if you cant get those nuts loose. Good luck.
    2001 chevy 2500. 8.1L motor

gotcha, I'll just spray the PB Blast a few times this week and get some flare wrenches. What a good brand for Flare wrenches?

Quote Originally Posted by countryboi View Post
    gotcha, I'll just spray the PB Blast a few times this week and get some flare wrenches. What a good brand for Flare wrenches?
    Well, if you ask me, I'll tell ya Snap-On. That's all I own.
    Honestly, Craftsman tools aren't bad, but their flare nut wrenches aren't great.

'01 2500 6.0 K&N, Flowmaster

Need a landscaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrck View Post
    Well, if you ask me, I'll tell ya Snap-On. That's all I own.
    Honestly, Craftsman tools aren't bad, but their flare nut wrenches aren't great.
    I love snap on tools. Im too broke to purchase them. I quickly found out though that craftsman mechanic tools are nothing to laugh at. Use some stanley tools or that crap lowes sells to too much money (Starts with a K) and you will see what I am talking about.

I purchased a flare kit from Harbor Freight. NOT the greatest, but I got the job done.
    1995 K2500 Ext Cab 5.7 5spd NV4500(RPO MW3) 4x4 8600GVW, 3.42 rear end, New Edelbrok 3704 Performer TBI Intake, ZOOM 30014 Performance Clutch, 265/75/R16 8 Lug
    2001 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab Long bed, 6.0 Stock, 4L80E, 265/75/R16 8 Lug

clean the fittings with a brush and pb blaster. then carb cleaner to make sure your soaking has a clean base to start penetrating the threads. spray once a day with pb blaster for a week. those fittings will come loose eventually. use anti seize on the threads when u put it back together then coat the outside of the fittings with a protective layer of anti seize. water and dirt wont penetrate it but it is easy to clean off before you change it the next time.