GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Catalytic Converter Removal

This is a discussion on Catalytic Converter Removal within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; If I take out my catalytic converter on my 2007 Silverado 1500 6.0l will this help with gas mileage and ...

Catalytic Converter Removal

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    If I take out my catalytic converter on my 2007 Silverado 1500 6.0l will this help with gas mileage and performance? I've already bought a tuner (diablosport predator), flowmaster, cold air (Airaid) and only use 93 octane fuel. Someone told me if I took out the catalytic converter it would improve my fuel mileage. I'm worried it will relieve too much back pressure and make the motor run bad or make the computer give me a bunch of error messages. Any one have any Ideas....

Re: Catalytic Converter Removal

Your cat flows well enough please leave it in there. It will throw codes and make your truck run worse.

If you are looking into performance i would start by looking into a black bear tune. Custom tunes will yield better results than a programmer.
    Last edited by XLR8N; 05-21-2010 at 08:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander Berkeley
    I'd better make hay while the sun shines.

yea and considering its illegal to remove an emissions control device.

Thats debateable.

How is that debatable?

Its a Federal offense to remove any emissions components from vehicles and thats why muffler shops wont remove the Cat's.
    04 K1500 Silverado EXT 3:73 gears, 5.3L 265/75-16,Pace Edwards tonneau,

OK we all now according to the law were not suppose to take off the converter. That's not the question so let's leave that for another debate! Were talking about the converter and if taking it off will help fuel mileage.

It will probably make you run rich longer so you will probably lose mpg's. . .

Taking off the Cat's will not improve fuel economy but i may reduce it due to less back pressure. All modern vehicles with OBD2 have high flow Cat's.

Quote Originally Posted by RAB_VortecMax View Post
    OK we all now according to the law were not suppose to take off the converter. That's not the question so let's leave that for another debate! Were talking about the converter and if taking it off will help fuel mileage.

Right; the cats in use nowadays are not a significant restriction.

So no, it basically won't do anything beneficial for you.

What about the cat on my 94 K1500 5.7 229k? It only needs a sefety inspection because of its age and I'm sure the cat is close to being stopped up. I wanted to replace the "Y" pipe and do away with the cat when I did the engine the other month but didn't have any money left over for it. Will removing it cause any problems with my performance or lack there of?
    Last edited by paladin; 05-21-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    What about the cat on my 94 K1500 5.7 229k? It only needs a sefety inspection because of its age and I'm sure the cat is close to being stopped up. I wanted to replace the "Y" pipe and do away with the cat when I did the engine the other month but didn't have any money left over for it. Will removing it cause any problems with my performance or lack there of?
    Well I drove my 94 K2500 down to the smog shop and my cat was gutted and would not pass smog out here in cali.. But I did not notice anything different when I bought a new cat... You could gut it but if you need an actual sniff test, it will fail with a gutted cat or even no cat. o2 sensor is not an issue when it is just reading what is going into the cat, not after like 96 and up obd2 cars and trucks!

HTH,
    Charlie
    Last edited by dmnall; 05-21-2010 at 07:50 PM.
    1968 Chev C10 SWB Stepside *sold 5-2012*
    1968 Chev C10 LWB Fleetside *sold 5-2012*
    1994 Chev K2500 Ex Cab Short Bed Fleetside *not driving much but will be driving more soon*
    2001 GMC Yukon XL Denali *purchased 2-7-2014 to replace my old dd of a 96 Acura Integra RS*

keep an eye on your 6 Silverado_9c3's Avatar

who cares if its illegal its yours do what you want with it, although i am not sure you will gain anything from taking the cats off
    2003 Silverado 1500HD LS 2wd

I care. We all have to breath the same air-unfortunately.

edit, to answer the question, no.

peace
    PAuly
    Last edited by Pauly; 05-22-2010 at 08:01 AM.
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

The vehicles with the bedpan converters are quite restrictive but the 96 and later are low restriction and are round or oval.

pauly your worried about the emissions? cars today are the cleanest burning vehicles of all time....a couple of removed cats wouldnt even make a difference to what cars were even 10 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    I have a 90 and cut the cat out. Before I just had a flowmaster 1 into 2. Once i took the cat out it got A LOT louder and as my girlfriend tells me it smells horrible. I dont have any conclusive data but Id say it definitely added power and a little MPGs.

I only need to get a safety inspection too since its a 90.

I had an 02 WRX and it had THREE cats, one before the turbo, two after. I took them all out and it s added tons of power and spooled the turbo waaaay faster. That car was OBDII and those cats were very restrictive.
    Last edited by Albone; 05-22-2010 at 12:19 PM.
    1990 GMC K1500 "Starcraft". RCLB. Edelbrock 3704, TBI mods, open element, MSD coil, summit cap rotor and wires, bilsteins, cap, stereo upgrade.105k
    1994 Camaro Z28. 383ci lt1, lots of boltons. Black w black leather, corvette wheels. 104k

LOL, taking off your cats will not make it run bad or lose mileage, I actually gained from the removal of them. Get a tune to turn off the rear o2 sensors. The newer engines do not pump out tons of fumes, I dont even smell mine. Do you people actaully realize how many people are running around without cats.

Linesider

Damn Cats... Their claws always scratch my paint.
    1996 Chevy K1500 Z71 ECSB

1985 Mercedes Benz 300D

this is the first thread i have encountered where people are saying dont take them off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast