***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

700r4 shifts hard

This is a discussion on 700r4 shifts hard within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; i have a 1992 chevy silverado with a 5.7l it has a 700r4 tranny and recently it has started to ...

700r4 shifts hard

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    i have a 1992 chevy silverado with a 5.7l it has a 700r4 tranny and recently it has started to shift hard from 1st to 2nd gear..i no there is alot of solenoids and control modules to this tranny but i have no idea what they do and where they are located. someone please help

Built, not bought. Bad Bowtie 91's Avatar

Re: 700r4 shifts hard

The 700R4 is controlled by the TV cable that hooks to the throttle arm on the TBI unit. Other than that, there's no solenoids or modules that control shift points.
    Think of the 700R4 as a TH350 with overdrive

The TV cable controls shift points and line pressure in the transmission, it probably came loose or might have broke the little clip off that holds it to the throttle arm.

It might need adjusting also, it's easy and only takes minutes.
    Here's a link with instructions on how to adjust the TV cable.

TV cable adjustment instructions < click that link.
    Last edited by Bad Bowtie 91; 06-08-2010 at 04:04 AM.
    91 ECSB, 305 bored .30 over, Flat top pistons, Summit Racing 272/282 cam, Holley carb, Edelbrock intake, Accel HEI dizzy, 801 heads, 700R4, 3.42's open.

Re: 700r4 shifts hard

The TV plunger in the valve body is a known issue with the 700R4, they can stick from wear and result in over firm part throttle shifts even if the TV cable is adjusted properly. The shift kits come with a special spring you add that makes the TV plunger return without sticking, so if your TV is adjusted properly you may have valve body wear issues.
    1988 K1500. TPI conversion (mass air), self burned prom, LT1 roller cam, rebuilt and ported 083 heads, headers, 3" single exhaust
    1999 C1500. 5.7 vortec swap. Flat top pistons, balanced rotating assy, LT1 roller cam, GMPP Vortec heads, EFILive V2 tuner. 4" lift spindles 1.5" rear blocks.