***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Can i convert a 3/4 ton to dually?

This is a discussion on Can i convert a 3/4 ton to dually? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Is this possible and what do i need if it is? I do have a dually rear end but the ...

Can i convert a 3/4 ton to dually?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Is this possible and what do i need if it is? I do have a dually rear end but the gears are bad and a few other things so i dont want t use the rear ensd itself but parts off it if i can.

Re: Can i convert a 3/4 ton to dually?

Well you would need the rear end itself. The dually bed will be needed if you use one. Also the upper shock mounts will have to be relocated I would imagine. Brake lines should be okay. You may need another drive shaft depending on engine and transmission combo.
    CCLB dually, LS-1 Injectors, Airaid Intake, Magnaflow 2.5 dual in/out, Derale Cooling Tube Pan, B&W 24K super cooler[

Ok so I can't just use the drums, hub and wheels? I have to use the whole rearend?

When you go to a dually you are getting most likely a bigger ring gear and heavier duty axles. Leaf springs are different as well. I don't know if your original axle was a full floater or semi floater. If your going to a dually might as well go all the way and get the full floater. That will give you a 10.5 inch ring gear and if your lucky a G80 Locker. The G80 in the 14 bolt full floater will be alot stronger then other as well. I mean you could put the 1 ton leaf springs under your truck. If you had a 1 ton SRW axle that would be different.
    CCLB dually, LS-1 Injectors, Airaid Intake, Magnaflow 2.5 dual in/out, Derale Cooling Tube Pan, B&W 24K super cooler[

1 thing I'm worried about. I have a 4 wheel drive that I want to make a dually. And the rear end is out if a 2 wheel drive. Will I have a problem with the gear ratio with the 2wd dually rearend in the 4wd?
    Last edited by berlincam86; 06-12-2010 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by berlincam86 View Post
    1 thing I'm worried about. I have a 4 wheel drive that I want to make a dually. And the rear end is out if a 2 wheel drive. Will I have a problem with the gear ratio with the 2wd dually rearend in the 4wd?
    can anyone help with that question?
    Last edited by berlincam86; 06-12-2010 at 04:27 AM.

you should make sure the gear ratios and tire sizes match front to rear.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

yeah make sure the gear ratios are the same front and rear. That is a must.

First post what year your truck is and the year model of the rear end.

I got a 1ton dually with 4.10's don't know about a posi unit or not hahaha. Too bad your so far away

I have a 95 chevy 2500 but the rearend came out of a 94 gmc 3500. tire size is differant. I guess let me explain what im doing. I have a 95 chevy 2500 with a 350 4x4 and 4l80 trans. i got a 94 gmc 3500 2wd with a 350 and 4l60 trans. the 94 was a wrecker towtruck. I am taking the wrecker and wheel lift off it and putting it on my 2500. I currently have the rearend under my 2500 chassis. chassis wise they look exactly the same. I did notice the differance in the top shock mounts so im switching them over to my 2500 chassis. Im hoping the gear ratios are the same but i guess the only way to tell is to pull the covers. Dont really want to do that but i guess ill have to. Im pretty sure the driveshaft will work. they have 235/85/16 on the dually and i have 245/75/16 on the front. even if the ratios are differant cant i screw with the tire sizes a little to compensate?

Ok the conversion is done. I havent checked the ratios yet but im curious as to what would happen if the were not the same and i drove it in 4wd like that? Will i be able to tell right away the ratios are not the same?

You would tear your transfer case apart in no time...basicly your front tires would want to be turning at one speed and your rear tires would want to be turning at a different speed...not good!

2006 CCSB 1500~Pacesetter LT's and ORY~Borla XR-1/ Spintech 6000~Motive 4:88's~RC Leveling Kit~
    315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers,

so i would definetly be able to tell? can i drive it in 2wd?

Yes you would definetly be able to tell when you hear parts breaking...Kind of like saying "would I be able to tell if I tried to drive my truck with no oil in the motor?" Yeah, you will be able to tell when she locks up!..Yes you can drive it in 2wd, many guys will warn you to remove your front driveshaft so that you don't accidentaly put it into 4wd and cost you big bucks.

2006 CCSB 1500~Pacesetter LT's and ORY~Borla XR-1/ Spintech 6000~Motive 4:88's~RC Leveling Kit~

Ok i guess ill have to pull the diff cover. Is there a standard gear ratio for the front? I was wondering if tire sizes can be switched up to compensate for the gear diferances? There is 235/85/16 on the rear and 225/75/15 on the front.

I would just keep it in 2wd untill you can do the gear swap if needed.

yep thats what ill do thanks.