If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2005 Silverado Crew 5.3L Coolant Drain Plug?

This is a discussion on 2005 Silverado Crew 5.3L Coolant Drain Plug? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Couldn't find a decent answer where and what the coolant drain plugs look like, so I took some pics. These ...

2005 Silverado Crew 5.3L Coolant Drain Plug?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Couldn't find a decent answer where and what the coolant drain plugs look like, so I took some pics. These are the driver's side.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17064483@N06/4697010707/

Ignore the oil mess, I will take care of that later, but which one is the coolant drain? There is another small one in the front of the driver's side as well. The service manual indicates both small ones are Oil Gallery Plugs, but doesn't mention the larger one. Plus the passenger one only has one above the starter and it is a small plug. Any information would help.

Thanks!
    Last edited by aldaran; 06-13-2010 at 03:50 PM.
    2005 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L

I wish I was a cheeze-it Roehl_909's Avatar

Re: 2005 Silverado Crew 5.3L Coolant Drain Plug?

The big one is a core plug, you can pull that to drain the coolant from the block. You'll need a 17mm hex socket and something fairly wide to catch the coolant in, it goes everywhere when you pull that plug.

Just wondering, why are you wanting to drain the coolant from the block?

The truck has hit 5 years this year and I love to do maintenance. The coolant is only good for 5 years and the service manual procedures indicate that if the coolant is normal, an entire drain of the radiator and block is required. If the coolant is dis-colored, a coolant flush must be performed. Either way, it says to remove the drain plugs on each side to ensure most of the old coolant is removed. I guess my next question is, would that one plug be enough to drain the entire block or do I really need to find the passenger side? Thanks Roehl_909!

I wish I was a cheeze-it Roehl_909's Avatar

You'll still have a little left on the passenger side if you just pull the drivers side plug. I've never pulled the passenger side plug before, so I don't know how annoying it is to get to, but I know you'll have to pull the starter to drain it. If it were my truck and I were doing it in my driveway, I'd pull the plug on the drivers side, drain the radiator and the expansion tank, then fill it back up with 50/50 dex and ignore the leftovers in the passenger side block. If I was being paid for it at work, you bet I'd pull that passenger side plug. So it's up to you.
    Last edited by Roehl_909; 06-13-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Thank you so much for the information. I found the plug on the passenger side, and its like you said, it's hiding above the starter. It is smaller than the driver's side. I have a friend that got his truck at the same time, so we're both going to tackle this job. Once again thank you!