If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2005 Z71 Oil Pressure problems

This is a discussion on 2005 Z71 Oil Pressure problems within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Have a 05 Silverado 5.3 L Z71. For some reason the oil pressure gauge is pegged out at 80? Im ...

2005 Z71 Oil Pressure problems

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Have a 05 Silverado 5.3 L Z71. For some reason the oil pressure gauge is pegged out at 80? Im thinking sending unit but wasn't sure if anyone else has heard about problems with this? Any solutions before I dig into my wallet/vehicle? Thanks!

Re: 2005 Z71 Oil Pressure problems

Stepper motors might of gone bad. There was a recall on some gauge clusters. Got mine fixed for free at the dealer.
    04 1500 Z71 6.0 LQ4 swap, BlackBear 06+ Grill/Hood, Vette servo, 3 BL,RC Keys, Truxedo, Bull Bar,KC, Cooper ST's Bilstein 5100's Tow's, Pypes M-80.

1989 Silverado 2500 94+grill, Ram air hood, Mild built 355, Th400,

What was wrong with yours?

alright

1. key on, ignition off, is gage on zero?
    start engine does gage move full sweep or does it indicate a lower pressure until engine accelerates?

2. have you removed a oil pressure sender and checked oil pressure with a mechanical gage?

3. unplug oil press sensor wiring and see what the gage does? it should stay on zero with ignition on and with engine running... if it goes full sweep with harness unplugged problem is in gage itself or wiring..

if I was to guess, I'd guess it was the sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by sdbrandhagen View Post
    What was wrong with yours?

Gauge needles pegged at different levels, took it to the dealer and had the whole gauge cluster replaced.
    04 1500 Z71 6.0 LQ4 swap, BlackBear 06+ Grill/Hood, Vette servo, 3 BL,RC Keys, Truxedo, Bull Bar,KC, Cooper ST's Bilstein 5100's Tow's, Pypes M-80.

1989 Silverado 2500 94+grill, Ram air hood, Mild built 355, Th400,

In responce to the 1, 2, 3 steps. It goes to zero when the truck is off or even when key is turned to run. As soon as I start the truck it goes to 80, does not move or vary in anyway just stays at 80. Have not pulled the sensor yet to check pressure via mech gauge, Im in the army so time off is scarse ha. I will check it this weekend hopefully though. Thanks again!

What did you find out about this? Mine is doing the same thing. Thanks.

No not yet, I havent had the time to dig into it, damn military!

I have heard that this is a common problem with the same era Corvettes. The problem is nearly always the sender. On the LS1 motors, you have to remove the intake manifold to get to the sender, so this is a hot topic on the Corvette forum. They even have multiple threads on plumbing to relocate the senders to make them easier to get to. I'd try a new sender and see if the problem persists.

Last night on my way home i had the same issue. Even when the truck is not running, and the key turned to on, the needle just sweeps straight to 80. And i can say, i came here to see if there is an easier way to get the sensor out. I'm gonna replace it in the next couple hours, and will report if it cured the problem