If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Headliner Falling Down HELP!!!

This is a discussion on Headliner Falling Down HELP!!! within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; What is the easiest way to fix a headliner that has seperated from the backing and almost touching my head ...

Headliner Falling Down HELP!!!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    What is the easiest way to fix a headliner that has seperated from the backing and almost touching my head when I sit in the truck. Both of my 1990 trucks are doing this...

Please Help!

PS: Is it a pain in the a$$ to take the headliner completely out for repair/reglue?

Re: Headliner Falling Down HELP!!!

3M makes a great spray adhesive- I believe it is simply called adhesive 77. Just be careful what it touches, it is extremely tacky. It worked on my son's headliner.

Freelance Web Designer

take your head liner out and pull off all the old fabric. Try to get the surface some what smooth but it doesn't have to be perfect. Go to your local fabric store and buy what ever amount of car head liner you need (i got enough for my suburban for like $10)

Spray about 6-12 inch of the head liner board with an adhesive ( the adhesive mention by suburban ss would work fine) and roll the new head liner on to the board, Then spray to next 6-12 inches and continue to roll on the new head liner. Repeat this process until the entire board is covered in head liner. Cut the excess fabric off with scissors and reinstall it back in your truck.

took me 2-3 hours to do all of this on my suburban. Here's how it turned out

1988 3/4 Ton Suburban, 454, 33x10.50x16 A/T | 1996, 1/2 Ton Tahoe, 350, 33x10.50x15 M/T, BB Tune

That's what I was expecting I'd end up having to do... Thanks! Great job!
    I was wondering if it may be tricky getting the headliner off? How does it attach? Any tricks?

If you remove the sunvisors, coat hooks, interior light, trim etc. (basically anything that is attached to the headliner) it should drop right out of there.

2002 Chevrolet LT Z-71

I notice a lot of people who have headliner problems run their fingers and stuff on them. if you dont touch the headliner at all it will last a lot longer.ofcourse i dont like people using the sunvisors, messing with the direction of the vents,adjusting the passenger seat.lol

Quote Originally Posted by ericlw View Post
    I notice a lot of people who have headliner problems run their fingers and stuff on them. if you dont touch the headliner at all it will last a lot longer.ofcourse i dont like people using the sunvisors, messing with the direction of the vents,adjusting the passenger seat.lol
    Ouch. :)

Freelance Web Designer

just pull it off the board. comes off really easy

1988 3/4 Ton Suburban, 454, 33x10.50x16 A/T | 1996, 1/2 Ton Tahoe, 350, 33x10.50x15 M/T, BB Tune

Someone I Know suggested I take an iron, and try to melt it back on... Gonna give it a try. He said it worked for him no problem... Only thing he said is that be carefull how you do it because if you stretch it during the process you will have a wrinkle at the end....

I will let you know if this works as a temporary fix...

The headliner fabric has a foam backing that deteriorates, causing the fabric to seperate from the headliner "board". I just re-did mine with new headliner fabric (with the foam backing) and it turned out pretty well. A friend of a friend recommended using carpet adhesive, so I did. It comes in a 1-gallon pail and you apply it with a notched trowel. I just pressed the fabric on by hand. I re-did the headliner in June, and so far all is well.

What cubcadet said...

The problem isn't the fabric, the adhesive, or the backer board. It's that intermediate foam layer. It's disintegrating to dust. As long as that stuff is in there, you can spray, smear, or even pour adhesive on everything and stick it back up there EVERY DAY, and even twice on Sundays, and it will STILL fall down.

Only long-term permanent cure is to take it out and get EVERY TRACE of the foam off. If you don't get EVERY TRACE of it out of there, then sooner or later whatever is left will resume turning to dust, and whatever you have glued to it will simply continue to fall off. A wire brush works good on the old GM headliners that were a sort of dense plastic-like heavy foam substance, if that's what our still is. When I say EVERY TRACE, I mean quite literally EVERY TRACE; you want that thing sparkling, sterile, CLEAN. Use the strongest solvent you can find that doesn't dissolve the backer board to strip it clean. Then use the 3M adhesive and the material you can buy anywhere.

Shops are so used to it, they do it pretty cheeep. They usually charge about $100 or maybe a bit more to do a car one, with visors. Maybe less if you pull it out and take it to them. Doesn't even take em 30 minutes to do a whole car.
    Last edited by RB04Av; 08-19-2010 at 05:33 AM.

Thanks for contributing your info very usefull.... The iron did not work, reason being as you stated, its a deteriorating foam problem ;)
    Looks like it needs the job done right, I will do it myself.