GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2002 silverado 1500 wont shift into 4wd and No cruise control

This is a discussion on 2002 silverado 1500 wont shift into 4wd and No cruise control within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; hey guys got a 2002 silverado 1500 with the electronic t-case tried to throw in into 4wd the lights did ...

2002 silverado 1500 wont shift into 4wd and No cruise control

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    hey guys got a 2002 silverado 1500 with the electronic t-case
    tried to throw in into 4wd the lights did there appropriate change and went to go and we still only had 2 wheels spinning tried doing it in neutral and and even tried going in reverse for a little bit after hitting the button but still nothing, and on a side note before this all happened the cruise control started acting up and has now quit also. please help

Re: 2002 silverado 1500 wont shift into 4wd and No cruise control

check the relays/fuses?

I have pretty much the exact same problem. Can anyone help diagnose this? There have to be so many Chevy Guru's on here that know exactly what this is.

I have a 2002 Chevy 1500HD. About a year ago the transfer case electronic motor and front drive shaft were stolen from the truck. So I just recently bought replacements and installed them, (not the cheapest parts to get a hold of). When I tried it there were no 4x4 lights on dash. I opened up the controls on the dash and the cold solder points on the dash switches were bad so I went over them and soldered them again and all the lights came back on and I can hear the electronic transfer case motor doing its thing and when in four low it's functioning fine (meaning I can clearly tell the gear change has happened) but still no front wheel engagement. Just rear wheel only.

No cruise control functioning either.

I really do not want to go into the dealer and get raped on this so any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Sounds like Justincredible5 and I are having the same problem.

Thanks so much in advance!!
    Last edited by obiwan; 07-24-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible5 View Post
    hey guys got a 2002 silverado 1500 with the electronic t-case
    tried to throw in into 4wd the lights did there appropriate change and went to go and we still only had 2 wheels spinning tried doing it in neutral and and even tried going in reverse for a little bit after hitting the button but still nothing, and on a side note before this all happened the cruise control started acting up and has now quit also. please help
    Do you get any indications when you engage the CC? How was the CC acting up?

2002 Chevrolet LT Z-71

Im not trying to thread jack, just trying to continue to help figure this out since we appear to have the same issue. My cruise control does absolutely nothing when you attempt to use it. Not sure if the two are even remotely related (cruise and 4x4) but nothing works at all when I attempt to engage the cruise.

More concerned about the 4 wheel drive though as that's far more important here in New Mexico. Anyone have any info at all?

There are no connections between the two systems.....2 different issues.

2002 Chevrolet LT Z-71

I thought so. Any insight on what the issue is with either? 4x4 being the most critical

Thanks again in advance

Describe what is exactly happening when you try to engage 4wd....

2002 Chevrolet LT Z-71

Lights switch into 4 high or 4 low. You can clearly hear the transfer case motor working and in 4 low the truck is driving like it normally would in 4 low but the front wheels are not engaged, from what I can tell the front driveshaft isn't even spinning. Although as you can imagine this isnt the easiest thing to diagnose when moving but we attempted to climb a small hill and in any mode 2X 4X or 4X low the front wheels never engaged and the rear just spun.

I did a search on here when I installed the transfer case motor and driveshaft because I had no lights at all on the activation switch cluster on the dash. I read that people had issues with the 4 wheel drive activation switches on the dash and the cold solder points were often the culprit so I checked them and sure enough they were bad. Soldered them up and all the lights worked fine and the motor activated etc. after that. But no front wheel drive.

My next suggestion was going to be to swap that control panel w/ a friends to make sure that wasn't causing your problem. I've never had any problems w/ mine but then again I don't use it much either. Any chance you have someone that will loan you their control panel to get that out of the way?
    No "service 4wd" light huh?
    Last edited by bossier62guy; 07-24-2010 at 07:55 PM.

2002 Chevrolet LT Z-71

I don't know anyone with that same model and year silverado. Being that the transfer case motor is engaging I thought it would have been working properly. Does that switch somehow control more then just the transfer case motor and front differential as well? I wonder if the control unit from an avalanche or some other truck might work to test with.

No service 4 wheel drive lights or anything else that would tell me what direction to pursue. Being that the transfer case is being engaged by the motor (at least it sounds and acts like it is) shouldn't the front driveshaft be spinning no matter what when the rear is? Or is there another method of engagement?

The main problem is the parts aren't cheap w/ the exception of the control panel. Most of the reading that I've done on this subject has been centered around the control panel. Encoder motors, etc. have all usually produced a "service 4wd" message along w/ related fault codes. I do have some wiring diagrams of the system if you're interested. Just pm me an email address and I'll send them your way.

2002 Chevrolet LT Z-71

Sounds cool, Im willing to try anything at all to get this resolved. my e-mail is ben@pre-racing.com

thanks in advance

Well as of yet still haven't figured it out and still no 4X4 at all.

Correct me if I am wrong but the following is all that needs to happen for 4X4 to actually engage.

*Press button on dash
    *Engages transfer case motor which physically switches transfer case into 4X4 or 4Low
    *Driveshaft should now be spinning and powered by transfer case
    (while moving being that mechanical engagement has occurred from TC motor
    *Power is sent to front differential 4X4 motor/solenoid to engage differential
    *4X4 is complete.

What am I missing? Transfer case motor is making the sound of it switching, and 4 Low acts like the transfer case is functioning properly but no driveshaft movement that I am aware of and no front wheel engagement either.

Stumped and not sure where to look next.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by obiwan; 07-29-2010 at 04:53 PM.

Forget that....it's been too long since I've had mine in 4wd....LOL
    Last edited by bossier62guy; 07-29-2010 at 05:07 PM.

2002 Chevrolet LT Z-71

maybe its the front differential selenoid.

for cruise control, check brake switch. check for codes in pcm. ensure no misfire codes.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

Hi guys. update on all of this. replaced the front differential actuator and this enabled 4 wheel drive to engage on the lift. However under any load at all the front wheels will not spin. Thinking now that it's internal clutches in the transfer case.

There are 125K miles on the truck. What should I do? Dealer of course wants a fortune to do it. Transmission shop said $400 to tear it down and replace clutches if I remove the Tcase myself and bring it in.

IS this a common failure? Do you think this is even the issue?

was 4x4 mode used a lot? if so probably due for a tcase rebuild.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

Do you have the auto-trac 4wd system?