GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A solution to the Chevy slip yoke clunk...

This is a discussion on A solution to the Chevy slip yoke clunk... within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; The solution has been to remove the drive shaft and pack the slip yoke with grease. The grease removes volume ...

A solution to the Chevy slip yoke clunk...

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    The solution has been to remove the drive shaft and pack the slip yoke with grease. The grease removes volume (and acts as a 'cushion') and therefore provides resistance against the free travel of the slip yoke in and out of the transfer case. The problem is that it isn't a long term fix and has become a pain in the arse to remove the driveshaft to pack with grease every few months. So, in an effort to reduce the time and effort necessary to accomplish this task, these are the steps I took....

Sorry for the quality of the pics...they were taken with my cell.

First, I removed the drive shaft and drilled a 1/4" hole 1/2" from the slip yoke flange.

Tapped the hole...1/4"x28

And installed a grease fitting

In turn, what used to take 30 minutes to accomplish can be done in less than two and with a grease gun as the only tool required.
    Also, I used the smallest grease fitting I could find to reduce or eliminate the possibility of throwing the driveshaft out of balance.
    I feel absolutely NO vibration at all speeds so I'm still balanced. I feel like the addition of weight is negligible when considering the
    amount of material I removed from drilling the hole in comparison to the weight of the grease fitting.
    Last edited by Greyhound; 07-20-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Re: A solution to the Chevy slip yoke clunk...

Mine came with a fitting on it already from the factory but good idea.
    CCLB dually, LS-1 Injectors, Airaid Intake, Magnaflow 2.5 dual in/out, Derale Cooling Tube Pan, B&W 24K super cooler[

I was thinking of doing the same thing..... kinda getting tired of the clunking
    '95 2500 / 5.7 / 6" Superlift / 2" BL / 16x10 589s / 36" TSLs / (sold)
    '06 Silverado Z71 / 5.3HO / AFE Intake / Corsa Sport / Blackbear Tune

did the same thing 3 years ago..... after taking out the ds the second time to grease it i decided to just drill and tap it our for a grease nipple.... 3 years and no issues!!!

Midwest FSC Chapter!!

hmmm i already need to grease mine pretty bad....might have to get me a tap and some grease fittings so i can take care of it this weekend
    97 z71,3" body lift, tow mirrors, cranked and AAL, 35" KM2's, 4.56 gears w/lockright, 6k HID's, strobes/lightbar/leds
    06 2500hd 6.0 gasser, stock for now, parts slowly being ordered

Man that is great. I'm getting tired of hearing that sound. Perfect timing as well since I have to remove mine to pull the trans for repair.
    Mike,
    1997 Chevy Z71 5.7L/Edelbrock Ceramic Shorties/Magnaflow Cats/Banks Stinger Exhaust/MSD Coil/Accel Cap,Rotor,Wires/K&N Filter/TB restrictor removed/Vette servo

Don't they also make a "slip yoke eliminator" for the T case to resolve this issue?

'96 Tahoe...5.7 Vortec...4wd...~205,000...Stock

Midwest FSC Chapter!!

Quote Originally Posted by masintenn View Post
    Don't they also make a "slip yoke eliminator" for the T case to resolve this issue?
    i do believe that they do but it requires a new driveshaft i believe and it is quite expensive too
    97 z71,3" body lift, tow mirrors, cranked and AAL, 35" KM2's, 4.56 gears w/lockright, 6k HID's, strobes/lightbar/leds
    06 2500hd 6.0 gasser, stock for now, parts slowly being ordered

Anyone else do this and not have any vibe problems? Is there a possibility that if you pumped too much grease it could get into the transfer case?
    Last edited by fuel583; 07-21-2010 at 05:18 PM.

i did this "mod" more like and improvement to me.... i dont have a vibe at all and 3 years strong. and i dont know about the grease getting into the transfercase but i only throw a couple of pumps into it at a time and i only grease it now maybe 1 every 5 months or so with Lukes tacky grease. its real sticky stuff.

Yeah, you have to pump it several times initially to fill the cavity with grease. I would suspect after the initial fill of grease, you should only have to add a couple pumps every few months as needed. Also, isn't there a seal on the transfer case to prevent dirt and debree from entering? If so, shouldn't this also prevent grease from entering?

Quote Originally Posted by fuel583 View Post
    Anyone else do this and not have any vibe problems? Is there a possibility that if you pumped too much grease it could get into the transfer case?
    If you worry about vibe, you could drill thru the slip yoke and put a grease fitting on both sides (180 degrees apart) which would eliminate the possibility of vibration.

I would have to agree with the thought of the grease fittings on the yoke. I bought my Burban with this noise, and the local shop has directed me to purchase a new shaft. I prefer the $10.00 fix method instead. Worst case scenario, you will also want to grease u-joints and other points while underneath. Great idea.
    '99 Chevy Burban, 2003 100th Anniversary Harley-Davidson F150 (Bad Fast) , 2006 Mustang GT, 1988 Ford TBird 5.0L, 1947 Willy's CJ-2A, 1996 Ranger, 2012 Sure-Trac 18' Car Hauler, (Soon to be adding modded 1987 Mustang 5.0L to the collection).

Quote Originally Posted by Greyhound View Post
    If you worry about vibe, you could drill thru the slip yoke and put a grease fitting on both sides (180 degrees apart) which would eliminate the possibility of vibration.
    Yea thats true, I didnt think of that....

Quote Originally Posted by Greyhound View Post
    Yeah, you have to pump it several times initially to fill the cavity with grease. I would suspect after the initial fill of grease, you should only have to add a couple pumps every few months as needed. Also, isn't there a seal on the transfer case to prevent dirt and debree from entering? If so, shouldn't this also prevent grease from entering?
    Yea there is a seal, I was just thinking more like if you pumped excess grease would it bleed out onto the ground or would the pressure force it past the seal and into the t case...

Supporting Member

I might consider this, not a bad idea.

'00 Chevy RCSS 4x4/Z71 FOR SALE!!! - '98 Harley-Davidson Sportster 883 - Scroogle
    Quote Originally Posted by neonclown View Post
    I'm not sure you can bash ignorant people by being ignorant, but A for effort.

So that's what clunks even in 2WD when the rear tires hit an incline at the same time? It does it at the bottom of a hill at an intersection near where I live every morning. I always thought it was the rear u-joint of the driveshaft.
    Last edited by jason9696; 09-27-2010 at 05:07 PM.

is this the noise i hear alll the time? a slight clunk or bang when i put it in gear or take off? sonds like it comes from the rear end....and it could be the nag i feel when it shifts..

I need to do this. Gettin tired of feeling like I have a bowling ball rolling around in the bed of the truck.

Cool fix. Doesnt GM make a ncklle coated yoke where the nicle coating takes up some play to prevent the clunk?

peace
    PAuly
    97 GMC 2wd RCSB 5.7, s10 2700 footstall, Hooker 24621hkr LT's , 2.5" cats dual 4"pipes exit B4 pass. side tire, custom driveshaft 3.42 G80 FIPK MAF descreen GM/Mercruiser Marine intake manifold 29lb LS2(EV6) injectors Ed Wright PCM(best mod), LT4 KM 14.8@94mph 2.007 4000lbs 122mph

GM does have a nickle plated yoke and it can be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty.
    GM does not install the nickle plated yoke in production due to the vehicle being a high export vehicle and barred in many foreign countries.
    04 K1500 Silverado EXT 3:73 gears, 5.3L 265/75-16,Pace Edwards tonneau,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast