***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

93 chevy cheyenne k1500 bleading clutch issues

This is a discussion on 93 chevy cheyenne k1500 bleading clutch issues within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; hello folks i cant seem to bleed my clutch. its a 93 chevy cheyenne k1500. petal stays spongy. worked on ...

mgb

Question 93 chevy cheyenne k1500 bleading clutch issues

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    hello folks i cant seem to bleed my clutch. its a 93 chevy cheyenne k1500. petal stays spongy. worked on bleeding it for 1.5 hrs today. new master new slave new line. the slave is from napa has a plastic strap on the rod. do i need to remove this strap? acording to the instructions it will break apon first real clutch pressure...do i need to bench bleed this system? if so can i do it with the slave down by the tranny and the master bolted in place?
    pumping petal and holding it to the floor n releasing bleader screw does not work.(bleeder is jenky has no nipple its a pin hole) . even tried pushing 3 psi into the master(with bleeder open of course and keeping res full) in hopes it would force air out.. this did make the clutch petal a bit tighter. then i had buddy pump the petal that had a bit of pressure in it from the forcing air into it) he would hold it to the floor after about 10 pumps, i would open bleeder screw, air would blow out and some fluid. then petal would go spongy again. cant seem to get this hyd.clutch to bleed for the life of me..

issues i was having with clutch. i had to mash petal down all the way to the floor N some to get it to start. then slowly i was having a hard time shifting into gears, if i timed the rpm right i could get er to shift while moving down road. that turned into having to turn truck off put it into 1st gear, mash on petal and some in order to drive off. same for reverse turn off put in reverse start truck, turn off put into first drive off. then clutch complety failed. the master was leaking due to a jerry rig a mechanic did over the winter. pin on the hose that connects to master cyl. froze up and broke off, was 40beow zero clutch petal was even frozen. the line seperated from master. mechanic jerry rigged the pin that holds the line in place on master cyl. so i could drive it to work. lasted 7 months. its all new now. i can bleed abs breaks easier n faster than this hyd clutch.. just canT gET The thing to bleed. HELP ME PLEASE and Thanks for your time. Matt

mgb

Re: 93 chevy cheyenne k1500 bleading clutch issues

ooh yeah the bleeder on the slave cyl. does not have a nipple, so i cant hook a hose up to it to bleed air bubbles into a jar like you do with breaks. cant even use my break bleeder device on this slave cuz the bleeder is a allen wrench with a pin hole. does the slave cyl. bleeder screw need to be facing up or down. the old slave cyl i took out (that was toasted) the bleeder was facing down. i put the new one on the same way with bleeder facing down. shop manual doesnt explaine this process very well. i dont see how the air can escape from the slave cyl. proper if the bleeder is facing down, the air is traped at the top side of slave cyl.. do i flip the slave around so the bleeder screw is on the top? what are these instructions hold slave at a 45 degree angle while bleeding it.? does that matter?

I replaced about a dozen of these before I broke down and fixed the clutch the right way. The bleed screw on the slave cylinder should be facing up, which makes it a pita to get a tool on it. That's might be why you're having so much trouble. Don't cut the plastic strap. It guides the pin onto the fork and will break the first time you use it. It probably already has. If so, hold the pin straight as you reinstall the slave. If you don't get it right, the clutch won't work, which is no big deal. You'll just have to take off the slave and try again. Bleed it like you would bleed your brakes. You'll need a helper. A gravity bleed won't work.

You might try cycling the slave rod in and out to force air out of the lines back up to the master. reinstall slave and cycle clutch pedal twenty times between bleeds. stop when you got a pedal or your foot gets tired. then get a helper and repeat.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

mgb

thanks for the reply nice quick response!
    i kind of figured that the bleeder screw needed to be at the top thanks for making that clear. the retaining strap on the slave is not broke, i disconected it and made sure it was seated proper by sticking my finger through observation hole. so i can reattach the strap no big deal. i will flip the bleeder so it faces up and give er a go n see what happens.

WHAT is this instruction about holding the slave at a 45degree angle to bleed it. if the bleeder is on the top this 45 deg. concept wont matter eh?
    was pumping 4 psi into the master a bad idea? thats how i was able to get some pressure in the pedal and drive it today.

another thing that happened is on the new master cyl. the push rod just clips in and these metal things grab the rod. well it doesnt stay locked in place, it is also a napa part. what do i do about that other than take it back and say this aftermarket part sucks give me my money back. i imagine that they are all like that perhaps with the clips that hold rod in place on master cyl.). i realize i could get the part from gm but money is tough these days. so after market it is.

i was able to drive it today, and i could put it into first gear with truck running and without having to force it into gear. i could not get it into reverse without it wanting to grind gears (put it in reverse with truck off). the pedal is still really spongy.so i will flip slave around n bleed bleed bleed

wonder why they put the old slave cyl. on with bleeder facing down?(maybe mechanic wanted to make some money on me). funny thing is when i took the truck in after it broke during the deep freeze we had(jerry rig fix) well apon inspection of old slave i noticed that the tip on the push rod was broke. the slave sits in its own little rectangle box. the tip that broke off was no where to be found, and it could not have fallen out of the slave box.

i think the mechanic replaced the one i had on it with an old broken one from the shop.i remember him saying after i called him and said. "my clutch petal is not tight enough"
    he then said we bled the clutch forever. he even said that they back bled it. during my inspection of the old slave that was on it i noticed it was the same napa part same bleeder set up .so now i know he lied cuzz you cant back bleed that type of bleeder screw. (allen wrench with a small pin hole for fluid to leak out..no nipple to hook hose up to). then he told me ooh well you might need a new slave or master. HMMMMMMM... i would have fixed it myself but it was -40 deg out and i dont have a garage that truck fits in...

its hard to trust a mechanic shop thats why i do all my work unless its major. i work on all my vehicles, mostly german cars but i luv my chevy.
    if i can fix bmw's and volks (they are a pain in the arse). i can bleed this dang clutch chevys are much easier;)
    have never had such an issue bleeding this clutch. german cars yah hook up a hose shove it into a jar with fluid pump pedal. bada boom bada bing. takes 15 min if that.

i will try pushing slave rod in and out to force air out of slave as well
    THANKS SMAURNO AND NEUMANNZZ FOR YOUR TIME.
    Matt

mgb

Smile Re: 93 chevy cheyenne k1500 bleading clutch issues

Thanks guys for the imput. After i took back the faulty master cyl to napa. then waited all weekend for monday to come. i went to to pick up the replacement part that they told me would be in and it wasnt. i got my money back went to parts pluss and got a whole different brand name (rhino) slave cyl.

I Took your advice and SAMAURNO AND NEUMANNZZ. Flipped slave around so bleader was on top and pumped the slave piston a bit it did release a few bubbles.
    END RESULT my clutch is working great! it still did take me about an hour to bleed it though.

back to work the truck goes just in the nick of time.
    now i need to fix the heater, oil pan gasket, if i run into a hang up i will surly hit up this
    SUPER AWESOME FORUM! i luv my chevrolet

O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r