If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

07 Classic 5.3L (L33) - No PCV valve

This is a discussion on 07 Classic 5.3L (L33) - No PCV valve within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; There is no PCV valve in this thing? Just some weird baffle system in the driver side valve cover? I'm ...

07 Classic 5.3L (L33) - No PCV valve

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    There is no PCV valve in this thing? Just some weird baffle system in the driver side valve cover?

I'm asking as I get an at random puff of oil smoke at start up (49,000mi), no rhyme or reason to when it occurs. This has me thinking bad valve seal/guide. Until I was reading this TSB on another forum...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41692

I started reading up on the castech TSB as well, but I have no coolant loss/use at this point. The TSB for the castech heads lists RPO L33 (alum block 5.3L), but I have yet to find a definitive case of the 243 (LS2) heads used on the L33 having an issue. Anyone know of this? Some 243's were made by castech.
    Last edited by Quyonmob; 08-09-2010 at 10:20 PM.

Re: 07 Classic 5.3L (L33) - No PCV valve

25 head scratchers (views) no posts.?

TTT

They had a fixed orfice PCV valve for a while but IIRC they went to that baffle setup that just has a hose nipple exposed that the vacuum line hooks too. Seems to be copacetic. I have seen some brand new 5.3s blow huge clouds of smoke on startup.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

Quote Originally Posted by oldred95 View Post
    They had a fixed orfice PCV valve for a while but IIRC they went to that baffle setup that just has a hose nipple exposed that the vacuum line hooks too. Seems to be copacetic. I have seen some brand new 5.3s blow huge clouds of smoke on startup.
    So this is GM's "accpetable normal oil consumption". Pretty embarrasing starting up a less than 50,000mi truck with a blue cloud.

My 305 TBI was 286000km (177000mi), 18 years old, and never burned a drop.

I didn't say it was normal but I've seen it happen. Really the valve to guide clearance is so tight on these engines now for emissions reasons that seals aren't really necessary other then to keep oil running down the valves when the engine is shut off. They actually have service bulletins stating in cold states on certain engines the clearances were so tight that the valves could all stick on a cold start. Push the truck into the shop and warm it up and the heads would swell up enough it would be back to normal again.

The PCV system really only pics up oil when the engine is running. Thats why a bad PCV valve can cause excessive oil consumption. You can pull the hose off between the intake and the valve cover and see how much oil is in it. I would expect to see some residue but if there is enough oil in there to form a drop or just look excessive that could be your problem area.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

It's What Lurks Within...

My 06's LQ4 used to do this too. It is embarrassing but don't worry, GM just tells you that everything is "normal". And yes there is lots of 2007-2010 5.3 powered mosquito repellers. Our one 2008 Suburban's LC9 did it enough that in maybe 2000 miles then pan was pretty well dry. Gm supposedly fixed the problem( didn't replace the engine though, had about 90000 miles on it) but we have never got the truck back so who knows if they did or not. If that's the best you can do, just shut the doors and stop slapping together these trucks and saying everything is normal. So far in 35000 miles at least my 09's LY6 has yet to start using oil or smoking......

Best case scenario is you are sucking enough oil up your PCV tube that it is pooling in the bottom of the intake manifold. Then of course when you start the truck you see it. I would take the air intake off, open the TB or pull it off, whatever and take a look. If you have oil in there, clean it out and add a catchcan on the line to the intake. Your smoke will disappear. If not it probably is valve guides and the only way to fix that is take the heads off and have them rebuilt. Should have kept the 92, lol.
    Last edited by Badass69; 08-11-2010 at 06:53 AM.
    JUST FOR CLARIFICATION

I hate GMT900 trucks period.

Just to be clear, I'm not taking anything apart myself. This truck has 14 months and 50,000mi of powertrain warranty left.

It's a matter of convincing GM that a cloud of blue smoke is not "within accpetable oil consumptions guidelines".

Old Geezers know stuff... dlstewart01's Avatar

I don't get oil in my intake...I have a fixed orifice PCV. The fixed orifice lets less oil in the intake than the old replaceable rattle valves. Thats one of the reasons GM went to them. There is a TSB on this. TSB 01-06-01-029B

http://www.accmachtech.com/catchcans.asp

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/

Last edited by dlstewart01; 08-11-2010 at 08:59 AM.
    05 GMC Sierra, Ext Cab, 5.3

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

3/5 Cav, C Troop, Blacks Knights, Vietnam, 1969

Is that catch can on your truck?

Quote Originally Posted by Quyonmob View Post
    Is that catch can on your truck?
    Yes I've had it on there going on 4 years. I just don't like oil going in my intake. I drain it every other week or so. I usually get a couple tablespoons out.

The AMW catch can is expensive but it is machined aluminum with stainless mesh for a filter. You get what you pay for.
    Last edited by dlstewart01; 08-11-2010 at 09:30 AM.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by dlstewart01 View Post
    Yes I've had it on there going on 4 years. I just don't like oil going in my intake. I drain it every other week or so. I usually get a couple tablespoons out.

The AMW catch can is expensive but it is machined aluminum with stainless mesh for a filter. You get what you pay for.
    4tbsp biweekly? How many miles is that? I ask as I am suprised at the quantity.

4tbsp biweekly? How many miles is that? I ask as I am suprised at the quantity.
    Thats two tablespoons in 800 to 1000 miles and could be less sometimes, depending on how much I get on it real good.

Most of that time I was driving 40 miles one way to work on a twisty 2 lane. Lots of speeding up and slowing down and many full throttle periods passing old farmers.

Edit...now that I've retired its a lot less since I don't drive nearly as much. I havn't measured it in a while.
    Last edited by dlstewart01; 08-11-2010 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlstewart01 View Post
    Most of that time I was driving 40 miles one way to work on a twisty 2 lane. Lots of speeding up and slowing down and many full throttle periods passing old farmers.
    This is exactly my commute.

This is exactly my commute.
    You should try driving amongst okies. Randomly speeding up and slowing down, stopping for green lights and going on red lights. No turn signals at all and the ones that do its that sudden panic stop with a turn and you catch the turn signal as you are making the turn. Then there are the designated slow driving days. It started out being wednesday and thursday but now its filtered into really all 7 days of the week. I didn't have road rage until I moved to oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by oldred95 View Post
    You should try driving amongst okies. Randomly speeding up and slowing down, stopping for green lights and going on red lights. No turn signals at all and the ones that do its that sudden panic stop with a turn and you catch the turn signal as you are making the turn. Then there are the designated slow driving days. It started out being wednesday and thursday but now its filtered into really all 7 days of the week. I didn't have road rage until I moved to oklahoma.
    Sounds alot like here.