If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

1997 silverado ignition switch replacement

This is a discussion on 1997 silverado ignition switch replacement within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hello all new to the forum, This is my first post so here it goes. I have a 1997 silverado ...

1997 silverado ignition switch replacement

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hello all new to the forum, This is my first post so here it goes. I have a 1997 silverado and I need to replace the ignition switch. Can anyone give me some input on how hard this is and how to do it. Many thanks in advance.........

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Re: 1997 silverado ignition switch replacement

Replace the ignition tumbler (mechanical part) or the electrical part? Here's the mechanical portion...

Disconnect the battery.

CAREFULLY remove the lower part of the clamshell plastics around the column. There are Torx screws recessed deep into the holes in it - lay down on the floor and look up, if I recall there are 3.

CAREFULLY pry the bezel off the ignition switch. Some of them come off easily, some fight to the end. It's got plastic tabs surrounded by a metal band that hold it to the edge of the tumbler. I like to use a door panel (soft fork style) tool for this job. You have to be gentle in order to not break the surrounding upper clamshell plastic.

Look closely at the underside right of the upper clamshell plastic; there's another Torx (again, if I recall, this one will be an external Torx) screw holding it down, may also be one on the other side. Sorry I can't be more specific but it's probably been 6 months since I've done one of these. Lift the clamshell plastic off.

Now that you have the cast aluminum housing of the column exposed, look at the top of it just over where the tumbler lives. You'll see a small hole. Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the start position; you'll see a tab appear in the hole. Press it with a pick. Pull the tumbler out.

The replacement will just pop right in.

Richard

Thanks alot for the info But im needing the electrical part switch part of it. I took mine apart today and found it mounted beside the key switch. Can i just remove the neg battery cable then replace the switch or is there more to this. Thank you in advance I love this place chevys rule....

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

I haven't had to replace the electrical portion of it yet, but you'll most likely need to do all the steps I mentioned. Disconnecting just the ground on the battery is sufficient.

Once you get those parts out of the way, the electrical portion will probably be pretty easy to get to. The redesigned 95-up column is reasonably serviceable.

Richard

Thank you very much someotherguy....