GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is easiest way to change fuel pump by removing the bed? 99 NBS Silverado

This is a discussion on Is easiest way to change fuel pump by removing the bed? 99 NBS Silverado within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; My pump is toast. Is it easier to drop the tank, or remove the bed?...

Is easiest way to change fuel pump by removing the bed? 99 NBS Silverado

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    My pump is toast. Is it easier to drop the tank, or remove the bed?

Built, not bought. Bad Bowtie 91's Avatar

Re: Is easiest way to change fuel pump by removing the bed? 99 NBS Silverado

Remove the bed.
    91 ECSB, 305 bored .30 over, Flat top pistons, Summit Racing 272/282 cam, Holley carb, Edelbrock intake, Accel HEI dizzy, 801 heads, 700R4, 3.42's open.

Think 4 guys can lift it off? Can't weight that much, can it...?

Built, not bought. Bad Bowtie 91's Avatar

I moved mine by myself, just slide it back to the wheels and you've got enough room to get the pump out.

But 2 people can easily move the bed.
    91 ECSB, 305 bored .30 over, Flat top pistons, Summit Racing 272/282 cam, Holley carb, Edelbrock intake, Accel HEI dizzy, 801 heads, 700R4, 3.42's open.

remove or slide back. To slide back you need 2 people...to lift off you need 3.
    2014 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...g-1st-3rd.html

just prop up one side of the bed its not that bad to do

remove bed, slide or prop way easier.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

its safer to remove the bed
    ┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐

98 z71
    09 Silvy

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRingo View Post
    ur truck is gay............ no not really, its straight and has sex with attractive women

i dropped the tank it wasnt that bad but it was on empty

If you put the rear frame on jack stands, pull the rear wheels, remove the 8 18mm bed bolts, you can slide the bed (over the rear bumper) back enough to get to the top of the tank all by yourself.

Easier than dropping the tank, kinking a fuel line or destroying the front tank strap.

Sweet guys, thanks. Not looking forward to trying this, but damn I need my truck back...

My spare car has no AC.... Albuquerque in the summer.... no fun.

OBS is probably different, but it was actually not hard to pull the bed, just undo a few bolts, I used and engine crane and did it myself, and scratched the bed, if you got 4 guys, especially 4 young bucks, it would be a piece of cake, just wear safety glass when you're laying on your back undoing the bolts that hold on the bed, that way you won't get a bunch of crap in your eyes. You might need a 1/2 ratchet and about three exentions to reach some of the bolts through the frame access holes. It'll be a big adventure if you have some extra bodies.
    "If people concentrated on th really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson 92 K1500, 5.7 with Edelbrock 3502 MPFI, Tri Wye Headers, Air Raid cold air intake, Blood Enterprises custom chip

What makes dropping the tank so much more a hassle? I would think that would be easier.. But Ive never done either on a truck, so I don't know for sure.

- 1995 Chevy Tahoe 4X4
    - 2000 Chevy Blazer S10
    Previous:
    - 1997 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado Z71
    - 1994 Chevrolet K2500 Silverado 4X4

The first thing I looked at was where you live. In New Mexico, there should be no rot. That makes everything easier. I drove mine to almost empty and pulled the tank. It wasn't bad, but it was hard to get back in place. Looking back on it, moving the bed would probably have been easier but I didn't have any help.

Dropping the tank is not hard. The emptier the better.

Dropping the tank isn't hard, but dis and reconnecting everything (the lines) can be a PITA.
    2014 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...g-1st-3rd.html

Just Run It!

Im doing this to mine on Saturday. Im taking the bed off. Im told it can be done in about 2 hours if you have some people to help move the bed.
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.8L 5speed tranny CST 4in lift front and 2" blocks rear 315/75R/16 Pro Comp X AT's Flowmaster exhaust AEM Brute Force intake.

I have a 2000 K2500 (OBS) long bed with a bed-liner and a full size fiberglass cap (tall one). If and when the pump goes, guess the tank will is coming down.

Dropped my tank on a Sat morning in a parking lot where truck was stranded. Not that bad. Not that easy either. People walking through the lot sure heard alot of cursing from under that truck at times. Be sure to have fuel line removal tool

Earth is full...Go home.. Dupontster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CKTA View Post
    remove or slide back. To slide back you need 2 people...to lift off you need 3.
    Is that what was done in the Carlile parking lot a couple years ago? LOL...remember?
    "I love to go to the schoolyard and watch the children jump and scream, but they don't know I'm using blanks."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast