***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Duramax Fuel Filter Replacement Guide

This is a discussion on Duramax Fuel Filter Replacement Guide within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; It was recently time to change the fuel filter on my LBZ, and after seeing how many fuel filter replacement ...

Duramax Fuel Filter Replacement Guide

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    It was recently time to change the fuel filter on my LBZ, and after seeing how many fuel filter replacement related questions are often asked in the Maintenance forum I figured I'd make a little picture guide to help out.

The fuel filter on the duramax is located on the passenger side of the motor, slightly hidden under the air intake.

The filter can be accessed and removed from the top of the motor, but I find it far easier to remove the passenger inner fender to access the filter.

The inner fender is held in with a series of press in fasteners, and are easily removed by popping the center section of the fastener up allowing the entire fastener to be pulled out.

With the inner fender removed you will clearly be able to see and access the fuel filter as it hangs from its mount. Before you remove the filter you must disconnect the electrical connection for the filters sensor. The sensor itself is on the bottom of the filter and is made of plastic, so be gentle with it. The electrical connection has a small locking tab, circled below, which must be pressed in order to unplug the connector.

With the connector unplugged you can now un-screw the fuel filter from its mount. This is often easier said than done, as the filter typically gets stuck on fairly tight, a filter wrench might be required to loosen the filter. The filter, and its mount, are full of diesel fuel so put a catch pan down to collect all the fuel which will spill out.

With the filter removed you next have to remove the sensor located on the bottom of the filter. As mentioned earlier, the sensor is plastic so be gentle with it. I have a large enough wrench to use on the sensor, but have used sliding pliers to remove it. PPE sells a specific sensor wrench for this as well. http://www.pacificp.com/store/index....roducts_id=215

Once the sensor is removed, install the new rubber O-ring supplied with your new filter onto the sensor. Coat the ring in diesel fuel to help it seal better, then install the sensor onto your new fuel filter. Tighten the sensor as tightly as you can by hand, then give it another 1/2 turn with your wrench/pliers.

The other end (top end) of your new fuel filter also needs an O-ring to help it seal. Coat this O-ring in diesel fuel also to help it seal. Depending on your brand of filter, it might already have an O-ring installed on the filter, but if its like my filter you have to install the supplied O-ring yourself. Make sure the O-ring fits into its recessed groove all the way around the filter to prevent any leaks.

Installation is the opposite of removal, screw the new fuel filter into its housing and reconnect the electrical connection for the sensor. I like to install the filter as tightly as I can by hand without using any filter wrench, this ensures it wont be as hard to remove next time. Dont reinstall your inner fender yet.

Next the fuel filter needs to be primed. On top of the fuel filters housing there is a small plastic bleeder screw, circled below. Gently loosen this screw, its plastic so dont damage it. You dont need to entirely remove the screw, just loosen it enough to let the air out.

With the bleeder screw loosened start pressing the priming plunger to begin filling your new fuel filter. Keep cycling the plunger until fuel starts spitting out of the bleeder screw, then tighten the bleeder screw back down. People have always told me that it takes millions of pumps on the plunger to get the new fuel filter primed, but every time I do it I only need 3 or 4 pumps before the jobs done...I guess its something me and my truck have in common.

Once the fuel filter is primed you can start your truck up. This is where my earlier recommendation of leaving your inner fender removed comes in handy, as while your truck is currently running you can visually check your fuel filter for any leaks. If no leaks are present you can reinstall your inner fender.

Last but not least, dont forget to reset your fuel filter life monitor if your truck is equipped with one. Congratulations on replacing your fuel filter.

Airaid CAI|PowerAid TB spacer|Magnaflow dual exhaust|No cats|3" PA Body Lift|Cranked Keys|4" Block|Wrangler MT/R's|Pioneer F700BT In-Dash Navi|Dual Boston 10" G2 subs|Boston GT40 amp

Re: Duramax Fuel Filter Replacement Guide

If anyones wondering what I was using to remove the inner fender, its a door panel tool that I bought from my local Snap-On distributor.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while your inner fender is removed this is a perfect time to wash out all the dirt and mud that builds up behind it. As well as washing the inner fender itself.

I hope this all helps, if anyone has any questions or concerns feel free to ask.

Airaid CAI|PowerAid TB spacer|Magnaflow dual exhaust|No cats|3" PA Body Lift|Cranked Keys|4" Block|Wrangler MT/R's|Pioneer F700BT In-Dash Navi|Dual Boston 10" G2 subs|Boston GT40 amp

Very good information. Nice write up. Very detailed. Good job.

how long is the life span of the fuel filter generally? i dont think mine tells me its up.