GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Fixing The Dreaded Chevy ABS Problem

This is a discussion on Fixing The Dreaded Chevy ABS Problem within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a NBS 2000 Chevy Suburban, 5.3L I have the ridiculous ABS issue that many 96-99 OBSs have, and ...

Exclamation Fixing The Dreaded Chevy ABS Problem

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a NBS 2000 Chevy Suburban, 5.3L

I have the ridiculous ABS issue that many 96-99 OBSs have, and early year NBSs have.

General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in
    certain 1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado, 2000-2002 Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, 2002
    Chevrolet Avalanche, 1999-2002 GMC Sierra, 2000-2002 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL vehicles that
    have, at any time, been registered in the areas listed below. These vehicles may have a
    condition permitting corrosion to occur between the front hub/bearing assembly and the wheel
    speed sensor. If the brakes are applied while the vehicle is traveling at a speed of greater than 6 km/h (3.7 mph) but less than 16 km/h (10 mph), the corrosion may cause an unwanted antilock brake system (ABS) activation. If this condition occurred where stopping distance is
    limited, a crash could occur.

Recall can be found here:

Make: CHEVROLET Model: SUBURBAN
    Model Year: 2000
    Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: AUG 29, 2005
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 05V379000
    PE05020
    NHTSA Action Number: PE05020
    Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 1353718

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...5V379-8709.pdf

So my question is this: If I replace both wheel hubs, since they come with a new speed sensor wire attached to the new hub, this should theoretically fix the problem all together, right?
    The recall says to fix the speed sensor alignment, mounting, and to clean the area inside the hub from which the senor takes readings from (off the grooves spinning). So by skipping all this, and just replacing everything new, the problem should be solved.

Does anyone have any experience with fixing this stupid ABS problem?

Also, does anyone know where the rear ABS sensor is on the NBS?

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Fixing The Dreaded Chevy ABS Problem

I have a lot of experience with ABS systems and the first thing you need to know is what is the DTC for the ABS light. This is the first step.

Quote Originally Posted by knucklebuster27 View Post
    I have a lot of experience with ABS systems and the first thing you need to know is what is the DTC for the ABS light. This is the first step.
    with this problem, the light never comes on, as the EBCM never sees a problem, just sees one wheel speed drop to zero

and yes, if this is your problem, replacing the hubs will fix it, though if you have access to a scanner that will give you ABS data, you can drive it and have a passenger see which sensor drops out before the other when you come to a stop, and just replace that side

as fort he rear wheel speed, I think the EBCM/ABS module gets the rear wheel speed from the PCM, IE, it effectively uses the speed sensor in the trans
    Last edited by dave89iroc; 08-18-2010 at 08:29 PM.
    ASE Master Certified Technician

2000 Silverado 6.0 4L80E 2wd
    *RIP*1994 Z71 SCLB 355, Dart Heads, 10.5:1 CR, PM rods, CC XR270HR

That is true...my bad. But I agree, find out which one is causing the problem and just replace it.

I just did the same on my 02 silverado. Had the same problem. Tryed to clean the sensor but, I snapped one of the abs sensors in the hub off, I just replaced both sides hubs. Problems solved. Got both Ac delco hubs off ebay dirt cheap, but have timkin stamped on them.

well i replaced the driver side hub because i needed to anyways, so the only one left is the passenger.

to go on what both of you are saying, when the problem first started happening i never actually got the ABS light. it will now sometimes come on when i start the truck after like 30 seconds, but it tends to not come on at all. i would have had the ABS code read a while ago but dont know anyone who has an ABS scanner and i am short on money just to pay someone to look at it. just out of curiosity where does the ABS scanner plug into that you can read it while driving. I was told the place you plug it into is under the truck.

and about the rear sensor. reason i am asking is i had a mechanic mess up a brake job and my back left caliper ended up sheering bolts and falling off the truck while driving, puncturing my wheel and more or less ruining my back left brakes. i want to make sure that the sensor for the rear, if it is near or on the brakes, didnt get destroyed in the process. but if it is in the tranny, then im good; can anyone confirm that?

It's and OBDII vehicle so you will use the same data link connector that you would use for a check engine light you just go into ABS/traction control in the scanner. Do you have an auto zone? They should be able to check it for free, should have a history code stored.

Your rear speed sensor is the Vehicle Speed Sensor or VSS the same thing used for you speedo, it's located on the transfer case at the base of the output shaft housing about ten "o" clock.

Quote Originally Posted by JISM53081 View Post
    I just did the same on my 02 silverado. Had the same problem. Tryed to clean the sensor but, I snapped one of the abs sensors in the hub off, I just replaced both sides hubs. Problems solved. Got both Ac delco hubs off ebay dirt cheap, but have timkin stamped on them.
    excellent to hear

knucklebuster, now that thats been confirmed, can you confirm if the VSS is what determines the ABS in the rear? and if it is, as long as the speedo is working then that means my rear ABS is functioning properly?
    also, i have a OBDII reader, but have never seen that function on there. i was always told it was a special reader, but maybe mine is just an entry level unit. isnt there a separate plug in on the ABS computer/module itself? sorry for the dumb questions!

thanks everyone for your quick input, your help is invaluable. ive been itching to sell my truck for a while now at a loss with the problems but if i can fix this and some other things ill keep it and put another 150K on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JISM53081 View Post
    excellent to hear

knucklebuster, now that thats been confirmed, can you confirm if the VSS is what determines the ABS in the rear? and if it is, as long as the speedo is working then that means my rear ABS is functioning properly?
    also, i have a OBDII reader, but have never seen that function on there. i was always told it was a special reader, but maybe mine is just an entry level unit. isnt there a separate plug in on the ABS computer/module itself? sorry for the dumb questions!

thanks everyone for your quick input, your help is invaluable. ive been itching to sell my truck for a while now at a loss with the problems but if i can fix this and some other things ill keep it and put another 150K on it.

just looked again, no ABS feature on my scanner, oh well

Usually the scanners that cost less than 5K don't cover anything besides engine codes. I just looked your truck up on AllData and yes it is the VSS and yes nine times out of ten if your speedo works your VSS is not your ABS problems.

replaced both, hubs, and still had the issue. ends up the left side hub, though new, was bad, replaced it again, and now all is well! thanks a lot guys, problem solved!