If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Truck making a 'clicking' or 'tapping' noise ...

This is a discussion on Truck making a 'clicking' or 'tapping' noise ... within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; 55K miles. Family owned. Oil changes done every 3K or 3 months. Never abused, always taken care of. A while ...

Truck making a 'clicking' or 'tapping' noise ...

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    55K miles. Family owned. Oil changes done every 3K or 3 months. Never abused, always taken care of.

A while ago, there was a faint noise noticeable at idle at around 20K miles. It was inaudiable at any rpm other than idle, and was barely even noticeable at all.

I got the truck at 49K, same barely audible noise. Put exhaust on it. No biggie. Changed spark plugs and bough Bosch Platinums without knowning not to. Drove them for a while and just today changed them out for AC Delcos.

When I started my truck after changing them, the noise is definitely noticeable and bordering on loud. When you give it gas, the noise picks up with the rpm and is still audiable.

Any clues at all? I can't see how anything could be wrong at 55K.

the benz

Re: Truck making a 'clicking' or 'tapping' noise ...

I just tried to take a video, but it wouldn't pick it up.

the benz

maybe exhaust leak, loose rockers(wasnt there an issue with needle bearings falling out), lifters ticking, injectors firing. evap selenoid rattling. try to isolate where the noise is coming from using a pipe or hose.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

generally a ticking/clicking sound is a lifter or a small exhaust leak
    my 93 had a clicking noise, that went on for 100,000 miles before I finally figured out WTF it was

engine ran great but it had annoying clicking
    worse under load
    pulled rocker covers, wasnt a lifter
    wasn't an exhaust leak
    but noise went away when I pulled spark plug wire on #2.
    I figured it had to be a rod bearing even though it wasn't the kind of noise you'd expect from a rod bearing..
    pulled pan, bearings were fine
    put pan back on and drove it some more
    time went by, noise getting louder
    decided that when somebody asked me if the truck was a diesel that I probably needed to find out WTF the problem was before the sucker showed me what was wrong with it
    decided if I had to pull the engine I would still figure it out
    pulled pan , left head and reciprocating assembly from the number two hole
    and you would never guess what I found

you'd never guess in a million years
    so I will let you in on the secret ( LOL)

friggin piston skirt was cracked.

don't know why it was cracked
    I dont hear too good in the first place so I dont notice noises until they are real NOISES
    but my OL sed she could hear it from day one
    gotta admit she mentioned it when it was fairly new
    but I couldn't hear it so nothing was done about it

speaking of OL's hearing things
    they definitely do
    she's always telling me she heard me say something
    even though I deny saying it
    but thats the way it goes
    aint it?

doubt that is what your problem is
    but that was what I had on my truck

Well, I had my uncle look at it ... and within a few seconds he said exhaust leak. Then the more he listened to it, he said lifters.

If I take it to a dealer and ask them to figure out what's making the noise, the diagnosis would be free, no?

I swear, I just started college where I drive 150 miles a day, spend all my money on class and gas, and then my truck starts needing attention.

It definitely sounds like it's coming from the driver's side, but I pulled off each plug one buy one to see if it went away to isolate a cylinder ... but it stayed the same. That narrow anything down?
    Last edited by sfsc; 08-21-2010 at 06:59 AM.

the benz

Sorry for the double post, but:

Quote Originally Posted by NEUMANNZZ View Post
    maybe exhaust leak, loose rockers(wasnt there an issue with needle bearings falling out), lifters ticking, injectors firing. evap selenoid rattling. try to isolate where the noise is coming from using a pipe or hose.
    My uncle did that and said he's 99% sure it's from either the first two cylinders on the driver side (1 or 3) and is pretty sure it's from #1.
    Last edited by sfsc; 08-21-2010 at 07:08 AM.

the benz

Make sure all the spark plugs are torqued to about 30 ft. lbs. A loose one can cause a tick.
    1994 K1500 Z71

And another post.

Misfire on #1 because the plug wire won't catch the plug right.

the benz

Quote Originally Posted by Biggreentank View Post
    Make sure all the spark plugs are torqued to about 30 ft. lbs. A loose one can cause a tick.
    I always torque my spark plugs the same amount - done spark plugs plenty of times and no problems that way. I might go out and check if they're in the ballpark but ... I know that's not hte problem. Like I said, the noise was there starting at about 20K, just a lot less noticeable.

the benz

I know I'm getting kind of excessive with the double posts, but let's say it is my lifters (second opinions and personal research kind of points at it pretty blatantly) ... how would I fix it?

My uncle is a mechanic, but his area of expertise is more older vehicles. Would you say me and him could tackle it, or should I just leave it to the dealership? Dealership = money that I don't have, and my uncle is free except parts. Unless we screw up.

the benz

pull the valve cover on that side to check the rockers first. replacing lifters isnt hard. just getting to them is a PITA. you could try some lucas oil treatment in the crankcase to see if they quieten up.
    Matching Ninja 500r

Quote Originally Posted by sfsc View Post
    I always torque my spark plugs the same amount - done spark plugs plenty of times and no problems that way. I might go out and check if they're in the ballpark but ... I know that's not hte problem. Like I said, the noise was there starting at about 20K, just a lot less noticeable.
    Just checking. You said you changed the plugs and it got worse.
    1994 K1500 Z71

my 350 developed a tic at 75K

I changed oil and add 1 qt of lucas oil stabilizer to oil, tic when away and has not return, truck now has 92K

I change oil at 5K intervals, use 10W30 valvoline with wix filters and always add 1 qt of lucas.

some will call lucas snake oil but it worked on my truck,

some of my friends own and drive large over the road trucks, they would never let you change oil in their trucks without adding 1 gal of lucas oil stabilizer, I figured if it was good for them it would be fine for my truck.

may not work but will not cost you much to try it, will not hurt your truck if it does not work,
    as you may have a broken piston skirt slapping around in there.

I have the same type of noise coming from mine recently and I just changed the plugs... Should I start by checking how tight the plugs are or taking off wires? Mine sounds like its on the passenger side (04, 5.3)
    04 Silverao LS, 5.3L, 4X4, 4.56's, Tru Track, Pacesetters, 315/75R16, RC Keys, AAL, K&N CAI, Vette Servo, Aero3030, Audioque 10" sub, BB Tuned

Quote Originally Posted by alanreed View Post
    I have the same type of noise coming from mine recently and I just changed the plugs... Should I start by checking how tight the plugs are or taking off wires? Mine sounds like its on the passenger side (04, 5.3)
    I'd definitely make sure the plugs are tight first if it started not too long after that.
    1994 K1500 Z71

Fixed....back plug on passenger side was loose. Such a tight squeeze in there.
    04 Silverao LS, 5.3L, 4X4, 4.56's, Tru Track, Pacesetters, 315/75R16, RC Keys, AAL, K&N CAI, Vette Servo, Aero3030, Audioque 10" sub, BB Tuned

I checked all my plugs and they're all tight.

I changed my oil today (Castrol GTX 5w-30) and added a thing of STP Oil Treatment (stuff was like honey) and it didn't make much of a difference.

Though, I'm still not sure I'm convinced it's the lifters. At night time I'm going to take a look under the hood and see if I see any arcing. It's not as loud as if it was arcing, but it sounds similar. The truck still has good power, and there are no codes showing, but it does seem to 'vibrate' when taking off a bit more as if a wire was crossed or a wire was taken off.

the benz

My brothers 2000 with the 4.3 gets misfire issues with cap and rotors. he replaces them at least once a year. have you at least checked the cap and rotor.
    Matching Ninja 500r

I just had a new motor put in my truck about 1 1/2 months ago but yesterday i noticed a tapping noise everytime i give it gas, it sounded kind of like it was low on oil or out of oil but it isn't, it gets louder the faster i go, it is a 1997 with a 350 vortec
    Last edited by Cwalker; 11-27-2010 at 12:59 PM.