***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

02 silverado efan conversion

This is a discussion on 02 silverado efan conversion within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Ok so i've done some reading on here about converting the mechanical fan to efans on the site but everyone ...

02 silverado efan conversion

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Ok so i've done some reading on here about converting the mechanical fan to efans on the site but everyone says you have to buy the nelson harnass or the like and get a tune....i'm not into spending unnecessary money just for it to look stock...i can run wires and hide those and i dont care if it looks stock...so with that said why could i not get a dual fan setup off of a camaro and use one of those thermostatic fan controlers with the temp probe that goes into the radiator and wire it to a 12v source that comes on when the key is on?? Would my idea on this not work??...b/c im not into spending several hundred more dollars to do the same thing for a lot less...btw the truck is an 02 ecsb 4.8L Z71

Any input on this would be appreciated

'02 Z71 ECSB, 4.8L, 4L60E, K&N Air Filter, Predator Programmer, Magnaflow Exhaust w/ Dump...98k and counting...
    '74 Silverado RCLB 350/350 dual exhaust....Scrapped...engine in progress...

Re: 02 silverado efan conversion

yes it will work.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

Brandon

I did an efan conversion to my 03 gmc 1500 with a fan from a crown victoria from the wrecker. It is a pretty good fit with little modification and looks almost factory. It is an 18 inch, 2 speed fan that is more than capable of cooling my 5.3, even under heavy load and best of all is quiet on the low setting. I wired the whole thing myself, using 2 relays for temp-on and a/c-on and a 5 pin relay to switch from high to low (manualy inside the cab). I found an engine-on source of power-on on the harness for the brake booster so the fan wont run unless the engine is on. I got the temp switch from a ford taurus with a 3.3 or something and put it into a brass tee from home depot with two 1/4 inch barbs and stuck the whole thing in the 1/4 inch coolant line that runs through the thottle body, from the head to the rad. The system works great and I am very happy with it. The best part is that the whole project cost me less than $50 (fan, relays & harnesses, wire, temp probe & home depot parts) and my time (about 4 hours).
    Last edited by brandoZ71; 09-05-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brandoZ71 View Post
    I did an efan conversion to my 03 gmc 1500 with a fan from a crown victoria from the wrecker. It is a pretty good fit with little modification and looks almost factory. It is an 18 inch, 2 speed fan that is more than capable of cooling my 5.3, even under heavy load and best of all is quiet on the low setting. I wired the whole thing myself, using 2 relays for temp-on and a/c-on and a 5 pin relay to switch from high to low (manualy inside the cab). I found an engine-on source of power-on on the harness for the brake booster so the fan wont run unless the engine is on. I got the temp switch from a ford taurus with a 3.3 or something and put it into a brass tee from home depot with two 1/4 inch barbs and stuck the whole thing in the 1/4 inch coolant line that runs through the thottle body, from the head to the rad. The system works great and I am very happy with it. The best part is that the whole project cost me less than $50 (fan, relays & harnesses, wire, temp probe & home depot parts) and my time (about 4 hours).
    sounds easy enough. looks like a trip to ecology on 50 percent off day is in order. ive been planning on doing this mod.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

thanks for the input. We did an efan yesterday on an 02 f150 and used a dual fan setup out of a ford windstar and bought a thermostatic fan controler from autozone for $25 and the fan for $25 and wire and some flat stock for mounting and a few bolts all in all it was about $70 to do it....the controler from autozone came with everything you need to run one or two fans and the temp probe that goes through the radiator...took about 4 hours total and works perfect. Think i will do the same seeing how easy it was and how well it cools.

'02 Z71 ECSB, 4.8L, 4L60E, K&N Air Filter, Predator Programmer, Magnaflow Exhaust w/ Dump...98k and counting...

So what other dual fan setups will work besides a camaro/firebird for an 02 silverado? I'm guessing based on reading about this mod that i have a 27" rad vs. the nnbs with the 34" rad... The two speed taurus seems like it will work fine but fabing a shroud for it doesnt seem that easy. I figure with dual single speed fans would be much easier to mount and make the shroud cover most of the rad easier that a single fan. Or is that necessary? i just want to get the right fans. I saw someone talking about altima fans from a 95-2000. I dont care if it looks factory or not just the easier the better. (I know im lazy). Camaro/Firebird fans are hard to come by and when you do find them they want $150+ for just the fans w/ no relay's or anything. Just trying to get all this figured out b/c most of the posts i've read on here are for OBS and just want to make sure i get the right dual fan setup or a single with a big enough shroud. I guess some measurements are in order to make this work correctly. Any other ideas/opinions are welcomed.

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by Crimeidy26 View Post
    So what other dual fan setups will work besides a camaro/firebird for an 02 silverado? I'm guessing based on reading about this mod that i have a 27" rad vs. the nnbs with the 34" rad... The two speed taurus seems like it will work fine but fabing a shroud for it doesnt seem that easy. I figure with dual single speed fans would be much easier to mount and make the shroud cover most of the rad easier that a single fan. Or is that necessary? i just want to get the right fans. I saw someone talking about altima fans from a 95-2000. I dont care if it looks factory or not just the easier the better. (I know im lazy). Camaro/Firebird fans are hard to come by and when you do find them they want $150+ for just the fans w/ no relay's or anything. Just trying to get all this figured out b/c most of the posts i've read on here are for OBS and just want to make sure i get the right dual fan setup or a single with a big enough shroud. I guess some measurements are in order to make this work correctly. Any other ideas/opinions are welcomed.
    Use a crown vic or grand marquis fan, they are larger than taurus fans and designed to cool and fit a V8 radiator. The shroud is almost a perfect fit for your radiator, just some minor surgery (you have to cut off one of the tabs used by the crown vic rad and trim the others) and it will drop right it. There are two little slots on each side of the radiator on these trucks that with some trimming of the tabs on the crown fan, are the right size and hieght to support the new fan and shroud. Then you make two quick little "L" brackets that bolt into the factory fan shroud bolt holes and screw into the top of the crown fan shroud. Iif you are looking for an easy install, use a crown vic fan.
    Last edited by brandoZ71; 09-06-2010 at 12:24 PM.

ok first tings first is to see what size rad you have. i just did the conversion to my obs for a total of $130 and change, that's including $10 for shipping and $12 for a lower thermostat. i found some LS1 fans off of a 2000 camaro. got them for $52 or so. i used a Derale kit with a extra relay and it hasn't failed me in the 3 weeks i have had it. it happened to slip right in the lower core support and healed it to the rad perfectly, but with a nbs you may need to fab some thing up. from the pics below you will see the green wire bundled up, you connect those to the green wire behind the clutch so they come on when the AC is on.

the Derale kit + extra harness:
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/167...oductId=758411
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/167...oductId=758411

as for other options, the s10 forum i visit there has been a fad of dodge intrepid fans that fit perfectly for them. mined you there rad is a inch or two smaller.
    Last edited by bobfig; 09-06-2010 at 01:13 PM.
    05 Silverado 1500 CCSB - Airaid MIT, Black Bear Tune, and Magnaflow 12259, Tru-Cool 40k, Vette Servo
    97 c1500 RCSB 4.3L 3" Spintech Pro Street dumped, vette servo, and LS1 fans - SOLD

I've read that about the dodge intrepid fans. I just wasnt wanting to go the taurus route seeing as it is only One fan but a 2 speed. I Put some in the other day in an f-150 with a controler from autozone rated for 30amps and it runs both fans perfectly and is automated to come on at 185 which is close to what mine runs 190 or so. But the crown vic fans seem like they will be an easy and almost direct drop in but will also have to take a look at the dodge intrepid's as well. Any ideas on which year crown vic or intrepid will work best? I'm hopefully going to do this project this weekend, pending finding fans at the local junkyard. @Bob yeah i was looking for those ls1 fans off of a camaro but theres a camaro/firebird junkyard that keeps all of them bought out of the other local junkyards and they want $175 for a set of fans which i told them where they could stick those fans for that lol.

what year crown vic/marquis or dodge intrepid? are they dual fans or a single 2 speed fan...i'd rather have dual fans...but no prob if its a single

what year crown vic/marquis or dodge intrepid? are they dual fans or a single 2 speed fan...i'd rather have dual fans...but no prob if its a single
    this guy got a 98 intrepid fan that is 2 fans 2 speed.
    http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/e...4/#post6355644

the dimensions are 15.25 X 26.5" - 3.5" thick.
    05 Silverado 1500 CCSB - Airaid MIT, Black Bear Tune, and Magnaflow 12259, Tru-Cool 40k, Vette Servo
    97 c1500 RCSB 4.3L 3" Spintech Pro Street dumped, vette servo, and LS1 fans - SOLD

Brandon

1998-up second gen crown vics. I know the fans were used in cabs and police cruisers because they both idle for long periods of time, not sure if the efan was standard though. It is a single fan, but is 2 speed and measures 18".