If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

89 K2500 4x4 Speedometer Quit Working

This is a discussion on 89 K2500 4x4 Speedometer Quit Working within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I was towing the boat home this afternoon with my 1989 Chevrolet K2500 4x4 pickup when all of a sudden ...

Exclamation 89 K2500 4x4 Speedometer Quit Working

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I was towing the boat home this afternoon with my 1989 Chevrolet K2500 4x4 pickup when all of a sudden the speedometer quit working. It just dropped down to zero, then bounced a little, then stayed on zero.

At or around that time, the service engine soon light also came on.

I have not had a chance to start checking parts yet, but was wondering if anyone has an idea of where to start at.

Engine: 5.7 350 V8 TBI
    Manual Transmission 5 Speed
    4x4

Thanks

Re: 89 K2500 4x4 Speedometer Quit Working

Follow Up: I read the trouble code today and got code 24 - Vehicle Speed Sensor... I thought this truck was still old enough to have a manual cable speedometer.. found out today I was wrong. I'm going to check the speed sensor today and hopefully get it replaced. The bad part is the one for a 4x4 is about $30 more than the one for a 2wd truck. Go figure.

Also, I've been wanting to find a cluster with a tach in it for quite some time. I've decided that now may be as good a time as any to find that. Would this cluster I have found work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-ch...Q5fAccessories
    Last edited by wcsd106; 09-08-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Heh, just got through posting in another thread that all the GMT400 (88-98 body style) trucks use electronic speedometers.

On the 88-91 clusters, often they fail internally and it's not the actual speed sensor in the transmission. Since yours is a 4x4, the speed sensor is in the transfer case. It's the sensor on the rear shaft housing, kind of angle-pointed at the New Process tag on the case.

If the sensor and wiring check out, problem is likely in the cluster. You could try popping it out and spraying contact cleaner in the harness connection. Beyond that the cluster may need replacement or repair.

You can update to the 92-94 cluster but it's a bit of a job. There's a post in the Tech Articles section about it.

Richard

Thanks for the reply. I had already gone out and purchased a speed sensor before I saw it though. I guess I'm lucky that in this case it turned out it was the sensor. After I replaced the sensor it worked 100%

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Good deal, and thanks for posting back with your solution!

Richard