GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

1996 vortec 350 orange spark

This is a discussion on 1996 vortec 350 orange spark within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; correct me if im wrong, i should be having bright blue spark. i am having orange. i am also haveing ...

1996 vortec 350 orange spark

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    correct me if im wrong, i should be having bright blue spark. i am having orange. i am also haveing what seems like mis fires, generally just running like crap. changed my ignition control module. changed my coil with an older one that i have as a spare. but if i change it again. and still getting orange spark what else could be the problem. i have new plugs, wires, rotor, and cap. anyone know?

Re: 1996 vortec 350 orange spark

orange would be colder spark i would think... because orange fire is colder than blue rite? so maybe wrong heat range of plugs or wrong gap?

what kinda voltage is getting to the coil?

im not sure. i have put a calibrated tester to the coil though and the coil is only producing orange spark. i just went and bought a new coil. so we will see what happens after i put that in there. how do u guys recomend that i test the voltage from the coil. i have a voltameter so tell me how i can safely check the voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kick3500 View Post
    what kinda voltage is getting to the coil?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph_zlnsk View Post
    im not sure.
    Then check it please...

i just went and bought a new coil.
    Throwing parts at a problem will get you no where... FAST! Other than more frustrated & broke simultaneously!

how do u guys recomend that i test the voltage from the coil. i have a voltameter so tell me how i can safely check the voltage.
    Don't worry about the OUTPUT for now, check the INPUT with your voltmeter...

im not sure. i have put a calibrated tester to the coil though and the coil is only producing orange spark. i just went and bought a new coil. so we will see what happens after i put that in there. how do u guys recomend that i test the voltage from the coil. i have a voltameter so tell me how i can safely check the voltage.
    '99 Suburban 2500 Base Model 5.7L-4L80E-SF 14B-Hydroboost @180K
    '72 Jeep Commando ("Mossy") AMC 304 w/ GM TBI-TH400-D20-Locked D30-Welded D44-33" Swampers-Full Cage-Bumpers & Winch

oh would u tell me how to safely and correctly check the intake to the coil. and when i test it what should my readings be?