If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

1991 Chevy C1500 Flooding Out

This is a discussion on 1991 Chevy C1500 Flooding Out within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hi. I have a 1991 Chevy pickup C1500 with a 305 engine. It continues to flood out. I have replaced ...

1991 Chevy C1500 Flooding Out

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hi. I have a 1991 Chevy pickup C1500 with a 305 engine. It continues to flood out. I have replaced the fuel pump, computer, mounting sensor, and the GRV / GVR valve, with no success. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what can be causing this?

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Re: 1991 Chevy C1500 Flooding Out

What are you calling the mounting sensor?

#1 suspect is the coolant temperature sensor (CTS) which is the 2 pin sensor right next to the thermostat housing. They can fail and read colder than normal, and a really bad one will read so cold (due to increased resistance) it can command such a rich condition it can fuel-foul the plugs and stall the engine.

You can test the sensor with a multimeter, or just replace it if it looks old. Also inspect the wiring to it, and the ground wires that attach on and next to the thermostat housing bolts.

Richard

Agreed about the Coolant Temp Sensor, had a car that did that once, could be driving along and my engine would flood out... does it happen when the truck is warmed up? When I had this problem the engine always had to be warmed up.

you may also pull your air cleaner off and look at the injector spray at idle, if one injector has a consistent pattern/pulse while the other seems to have an odd or off pattern it could potentially be bad. also check the vacuum line to the MAP sensor for cracks, if the ECU senses that the engine is under excessive load (low vacuum) it can also be supplying too much fuel.
    Last edited by colthard; 09-11-2010 at 04:40 PM.

GO PACK!

Quote Originally Posted by colthard View Post
    you may also pull your air cleaner off and look at the injector spray at idle, if one injector has a consistent pattern/pulse while the other seems to have an odd or off pattern it could potentially be bad. also check the vacuum line to the MAP sensor for cracks, if the ECU senses that the engine is under excessive load (low vacuum) it can also be supplying too much fuel.
    That's what I was going to suggest. I had a 454 Suburban that started to idle like crap. One of the injectors had a fine spray coming out of it,the other one was dripping gas. New injector and it idled like new.
    99' GMC Suburban 1500 4X4
    03' Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4 ECSB
    91' K1500 ECSB
    71' GTO 400/4-speed/3.23 posi