***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2001 silverado ac pressure switch going out?

This is a discussion on 2001 silverado ac pressure switch going out? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; had a problem today where my a/c stopped blowing cold. the compressor was not coming on at all. (happened during ...

2001 silverado ac pressure switch going out?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    had a problem today where my a/c stopped blowing cold. the compressor was not coming on at all. (happened during an extended idle (maybe 15 mins)

i figured it was just low so i went and got one of those kits with the little gauge, unplugged the little switch and jumped across it and the compressor came on and showed that the charge was good.

i removed the hose and little wire jumper and plugged the wires back into the evap and it came on, but then went right back off. i took a little 1/2" wrench and tapped on the pressure switch on the evap. and it came on and is still working.

is it possible that the pressure switch on the evap is going out? and can i change this switch without all the freon blowing out as soon as i remove it?

Re: 2001 silverado ac pressure switch going out?

Those can go bad; rare, but possible.

Yes you can swap it without losing the charge. It goes on over a Schrader valve.

Interesting. My A/C has been doing the same thing, off and on, for 5-6 years. It was doing it once or twice a year, but it did it all summer this year. It consistently runs 10-15 mins and quits, up until the engine reaches operating temp, especially when it is hot out (80+). I haven't looked at mine yet though, so I have no real input to add here. I didn't drive it much this summer, and when I did, it was usually 5-20 minute drives.
    '01 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 ECSB

yours kinda sounds like its just low (although im no expert.) tap on your low pressure switch on the accumilator and see if it cycles on.

(above i said the sensor was on the evap.,,, not correct. its on the accumilator. (that silver canister thing near the passenger side firewall)

i called an a/c serviceman today and he said its rare that the low pressure switch goes out (like he has NEVER seen it) but in my case, with the tapping it making it come on, it sounds like thats what is going on with mine.

I had the EXACT same problem with my 2000 GMC. Replaced the switch on the accumulator. Worked perfect since then, and that has been 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by scoyt View Post
    I had the EXACT same problem with my 2000 GMC. Replaced the switch on the accumulator. Worked perfect since then, and that has been 6 months.
    good to hear. hopefully i get the same result.

i see your in hot springs, so our weather is very similar in the summer (friggin hot) im just a few hrs west from you (n.e. tx.)

It has been hot, but I think the hottest weather is gone ( I hope anyway ). I wish you would push us some cold weather over here! I think the last time my house A/C went off it was May!

ive replaced my low pressure switch twice now in about 70,000 miles.mine usually never cycles off and freezes up.

hot in AR? come down to houston and enjoy our 95 degree heat and ultra high humidity.
    Last edited by ericlw; 09-15-2010 at 09:58 AM.