If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Soft brake pedal

This is a discussion on Soft brake pedal within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; The Yukon has a really soft brake pedal. You have to push it about halfway down to really start feeling ...

Soft brake pedal

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    The Yukon has a really soft brake pedal. You have to push it about halfway down to really start feeling the brakes and I can damn near push the pedal to the floor before the ABS barely kicks in. Fluid is fine and I've got brand new front rotors and pads. Could this possibly be a master cylinder going south? I may have it looked at tomorrow. I need to do it soon because we've got a 4 month warranty on it that's about gone.
    '91 GMC Sportside
    '98 Chevy Suburban
    '88 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
    '13 Ford Focus Titanium
    -- Jason

My '96 has gone pretty low since day one. I'm not ruling out the diaphram in the booster, but even w/ new brakes all around my '96 feels way different then my '94.
    2015 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...t-7th-9th.html

Yeah, I forgot to add that it's been this way since we got it. But compared to my mom's '94 and my '91, it just doesn't feel right. You think I should have someone look at it?
    '91 GMC Sportside
    '98 Chevy Suburban
    '13 Ford Focus Titanium
    -- Jason

hmm
    hmm my mom's old body 99 suburban does that same thing. crazy but I dunno what it is
    -Mike

Originally posted by 1badgmc
    Yeah, I forgot to add that it's been this way since we got it. But compared to my mom's '94 and my '91, it just doesn't feel right. You think I should have someone look at it?
    Have the dealership look at it being it is under warranty. Most likely they will tell you it's normal tho.;)
    2015 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...t-7th-9th.html

odd...Did they do something to the brakes on the Vortec trucks to jack them up or something?

I can pump these a couple times and they tighten up a bit...
    '91 GMC Sportside
    '98 Chevy Suburban
    '13 Ford Focus Titanium
    -- Jason

Originally posted by CKTA

Have the dealership look at it being it is under warranty. Most likely they will tell you it's normal tho.;)
    No, I won't take it to the dealer to have it looked at. I'll go to the shop I always use for brakes/exhaust since they know me well and will tell me the truth.
    '91 GMC Sportside
    '98 Chevy Suburban
    '13 Ford Focus Titanium
    -- Jason

Originally posted by 5-8CHEVY
    I'm also betting it's the diaphragm in the brake booster. I had to have mine replaced when I had the same thing as you are having. I had just had the brakes done a couple months prior so I know the pads/shoes were still good.
    How much did that run?
    '91 GMC Sportside
    '98 Chevy Suburban
    '13 Ford Focus Titanium
    -- Jason

Hmph on my 98 you have to push down quite a bit as well before you start getting some stoppage, but I was told that is normal for Chevy trucks.

WWSD?
    My hoe is the same way. If I drive the S-10 or the Prelude then get in the hoe I feel like I damn near have to stand on the brakes to get it to stop. The brakes on our body style trucks are junk from the factory and it sure doesn't help when you slap them on a heavy SUV.
    97 Blazer LS 4dr 2wd- Xwheels, 3-4 drop
    98 Tahoe LT 4dr 2wd-20s,4-5 drop**SOLD** 8/11/04
    92 S-10-17s, 3-4 drop**SOLD** 1/15/05
    98 Honda CR-V LX

CATCH THIRTYTHR33

Originally posted by 4DoorHoe
    My hoe is the same way. If I drive the S-10 or the Prelude then get in the hoe I feel like I damn near have to stand on the brakes to get it to stop. The brakes on our body style trucks are junk from the factory and it sure doesn't help when you slap them on a heavy SUV.
    Werd... when I drive my moms car I'll go to step on the brakes and I push to hard because I think I'm in my truck

If its broke don't fix it Joe Dirt's Avatar
    Originally posted by 1badgmc
    odd...Did they do something to the brakes on the Vortec trucks to jack them up or something?

I can pump these a couple times and they tighten up a bit...

My truck is the same way as yours. I have always thought that it was the master cylinder. I have one off of a 97 that I was going to put on mine, but now I don't know.
    1990 Chevy RCSB 1500 - LT1 swap, DJM 4/6
    1994 Caprice 9c1 - Stock, 14.326 @ 94.20 MPH
    1993 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0 - Stock, 79,000 miles
    1986 Buick Regal Limited - Stock, Olds 307

ditto, not sure why, I asked this question months ago with a poll and the answers were all over the place. There is a large difference from vehicle to vehicle.

Brew

same deal with my 3 trucks I get in the 96 pickup and u have to push down to the floor get in the 99 suburban u hardly have to touch and then the 02 s-10 is like a car u touch and u stop immeditly.

I guess I lucked out cuz mine stops on a dime
    1996 Chevy Tahoe-2dr 2wd
    -Tint
    -Compustar 2-way paging alarm
    -Pioneer 850mp w/ 2 Pioneer 10" subs powered by a 900watt RF amp

It sounds to me like the rear brakes need adjusting, if it has rear drum brakes, try that first. I notice the same thing on my 96 Tahoe when the rear brakes need adjusting.

We had a used 98 Suburban at work and the cutomer kept complaining about the brakes "feeling soft" . We finally took it to a Chevy dealer (I work at a Ford Dealer) and they said that it was normal . I'm not sure what this has to do with anything but the service manual for my truck says to check the power steering fluid level

Later,
    Tony
    Check out my truck in the July 09 Sport Truck Magazine in the home grown haulers section

If your looking to have an air bag suspension done dont use Joe Sulpy Customs in Ledgewood,NJ

air bubbles in the brake line will do that, bleed your brakes then see if that makes a difference. Another reason for a soft pedal would be that the rear shoes need adjusted.

Jake

1991 GMC 1500, 4X4, short bed, 5.7 liter, 4L60, BF Goodrich T/A KO 265/75R16, K&N air filter, Flowmaster

Dan
    I bought my Silverado used and my breaks were the first thing I noticed. The peddel was mushy, I had the dealer look at them and they adjusted the rear, it didn't help much. So I took my truck to my machanic and had him look at them, he bled the lines which helped a little. I then needed my intake manifold gasket replaced and an 02 sensor, I asked the mechanic look at my breaks again. This time they feel much better, but still not as great as my wifes 1997 Astro.

The Astro break peddel has about an inch or so of play and the breaks grab BIG TIME!! I had read on the Internet that the mushy break peddel for the 1996 - 1999 Chevy trucks is designed that way?? I believe there is a better Master Cylinder you can buy ($285.00) to fix the problem. Unfortunately I can't find the Web Site where this was stated.

Hello! Chevy are you reading this???
    1996 Silverado ECSB
    5.0L 3.08 rear.....just stock
    Monroe Reflex X4, K&N (removed, just stock)
    Sylvania SilverStars X4
    50 Series Delta Flow Stainless Steel