GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

ac high pressure valve leaking

This is a discussion on ac high pressure valve leaking within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; so about a week ago I turned on my ac and the second I hit the ac button I herd ...

ac high pressure valve leaking

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    so about a week ago I turned on my ac and the second I hit the ac button I herd a pop, and had about 10 seconds of ac then nothing. When I got home I opened the hood and saw oil poring out of the high pressure servicing valve. I hooked up my pressure gauge today to the low pressure and its at 0psi.

so I guess the first thing is to replace the high pressure valve. where do I find one. I got the old one to unscrew, but I cant seam to find a new one for my truck. are they universal? is there a technical name for it that I would have better luck finding it under.

I know its a odd time of year, but my grandpa used to work for a ac company and said if I let it set the seals could go bad. plus I use it sometimes when my window fogs up real bad in the winter.
    Last edited by thepopeis1; 09-28-2010 at 10:15 PM.
    1998 GMC K1500 Z71 Flowmaster Super 40, E Fans, LMC Truck lighted front bumper.

Re: ac high pressure valve leaking

sorry I guess its impotent to tell you guys this is my 98 gmc k1500 5.7

its the vavle on top of the ac compressor. there is 2. a low pressure that faces sideways, and a high that faces strait up. I need to replace the high. where can I find one.

look up part number 36655 on the autozone website. should be a pic of it.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

Quote Originally Posted by NEUMANNZZ View Post
    look up part number 36655 on the autozone website. should be a pic of it.
    thanks for the replay. that is the high pressure switch. I need the valve. they have black caps on top of them. you add refrigerant to the low pressure side. Im trying to find a picture of one

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Can't remember if it's replaceable or not - without replacing the whole manifold/hose assembly. I *think* it is, and the slit you see near the bottom of the fitting is the gap where it's threaded on, but I could be totally wrong and it may be a one piece setup. Doesn't have a typical schrader valve core; it's the ball seat type that the core is not replaceable.

Richard

Believe you need part #7 on the diagram below:

GM Part number 52458184

Link to diagram with table of part numbers...

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=...09&grouptype=B

It looks like an inexpensive part. To make sure you get the right one, I'd confirm with a dealer and get it from them.
    1998 Chevrolet Z71, 350 auto
    2003 Chevrolet Tahoe 4x4, 5.3L

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandpa, not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Can't remember if it's replaceable or not - without replacing the whole manifold/hose assembly. I *think* it is, and the slit you see near the bottom of the fitting is the gap where it's threaded on, but I could be totally wrong and it may be a one piece setup. Doesn't have a typical schrader valve core; it's the ball seat type that the core is not replaceable.

Richard
    I got it to unscrew. the 2 nuts u see there with a gap do not unscrew. but the valve it self did unscrew from the nuts. I did not take it all the way out since I wanted the least amount of air possible in there.

I may have to it take somewhere later to have it evacuated, and refilled. From my experience when I have something broken in a car ac system. they want to replace every thing for some reason and they want like $1,200 to fix it when all it needs is a $10 part. and a refill.

Quote Originally Posted by east302 View Post
    Believe you need part #7 on the diagram below:

GM Part number 52458184

Link to diagram with table of part numbers...

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=...09&grouptype=B

It looks like an inexpensive part. To make sure you get the right one, I'd confirm with a dealer and get it from them.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! I googled the part# and that looks like thats it. I will confirm with my dealer

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thepopeis1 View Post
    I got it to unscrew. the 2 nuts u see there with a gap do not unscrew. but the valve it self did unscrew from the nuts. I did not take it all the way out since I wanted the least amount of air possible in there.
    Cool. I was pretty sure it was replaceable. Where did you get it to come apart, between where the round part of the valve meets the nut-shaped part below?

East302 - thanks for posting the part #. Looks cheap enough to just get at the dealer instead of mail-ordering it.

Richard

under reconstruction

i have a 94 leaking from the high side, good info thanks for posting!