If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

vortec oil pan removal in truck?

This is a discussion on vortec oil pan removal in truck? within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; wondering how hard it is to remove the oil pan from my 99 tahoe 5.7 vortec? can it be done? ...

vortec oil pan removal in truck?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    wondering how hard it is to remove the oil pan from my 99 tahoe 5.7 vortec? can it be done? lift motor up or drop front axle? reason why im asking is that i just installed this new motor without the oil pump shaft so went to fire it up and no oil pressure so im pretty sure this is the issue. thanks guys.

Re: vortec oil pan removal in truck?

four wheel drive or two wheel drive ?? I am told on a 2wd the pan comes right off. On a 4wd either removing the front axle or undoing the motor mounts and raising the engine will work. If you are just doing the pump it is probably easier to jack the engine up. Hope you didn't do to much damage to the bearings. You should have primed the oil pump before even attempting to start a new engine in the first place.

Re: vortec oil pan removal in truck?

Quote Originally Posted by pimpdaddy View Post
    wondering how hard it is to remove the oil pan from my 99 tahoe 5.7 vortec? can it be done? lift motor up or drop front axle? reason why im asking is that i just installed this new motor without the oil pump shaft so went to fire it up and no oil pressure so im pretty sure this is the issue. thanks guys.
    How did you manage that?

I replaced a 5.7 TBI suburbans oil pump with it still in the truck. Tedious.