GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Pinion Seal Replacement NEED HELP

This is a discussion on Pinion Seal Replacement NEED HELP within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey yall I got a question about a little problem i got. My pinion seal is leaking and i have ...

Pinion Seal Replacement NEED HELP

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey yall I got a question about a little problem i got. My pinion seal is leaking and i have the seal and its all ready to be taken out and replaced but im afraid to do it until I know the Torque specs when its time to put the nut and washer back on. I was told if I over torque the nut it could eat up the seal

my truck is a 01 chevy 1500 5.3 and the ring gear is a 8.625 and its a ten bolt rear if that helps at all

and if anyone has any specific ways this should be done please let me know this is my first rodeo on replacing a pinion seal thanks

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Re: Pinion Seal Replacement NEED HELP

I'd be less worried about eating up the seal and far more worried about ruining the gear set, which is entirely possible if this job isn't done right.

I don't personally have service info on the 8.6 so hopefully someone else can post. I just wanted to throw that in there so you realize how critical the setup is.

Richard

2nd Amendment Supporter mudbuddy's Avatar

Manual says mark the pinion and mark the nut, count the turns to remove it, to install match the turns and marks.

Old Geezers know stuff... dlstewart01's Avatar

Tighten the pinion nut, in small increments, as needed, until the torque required in order to rotate the pinion is 0.40-0.57 Nm (3-5 lb in) greater than the torque recorded during removal.

xTooltipElement
    Service Information
    2006 Chevrolet Chevy C Silverado - 2WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 867777
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drive Pinion Flange/Yoke and/or Oil Seal Replacement (All Except 9.75 Inch Axle)
    Tools Required
    • J 8614-01 Flange/Pulley Holding Tool

• J 22388 Rear Axle Pinion Oil Seal Installer - Rear (8.6 inch, 9.5 inch axle)

• J 44414 Rear Axle Pinion Oil Seal Installer (10.5 inch, 11.5 inch axle)

Removal Procedure
    Important: Observe and mark the positions of all the driveline components, relative to the propeller shaft and the axles, prior to disassembly. These components include the propeller shafts, drive axles, pinion flanges, output shafts, etc. Reassemble all the components in the exact places in which you removed the parts. Follow any specifications, torque values, and any measurements made prior to disassembly.

Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
    Remove the tire and wheel assemblies (8.6 inch, 9.5 inch axles). Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.
    Remove the rear brake calipers (8.6 inch, 9.5 inch axles). Refer to Rear Brake Caliper Replacement.
    Remove the brake rotors (8.6 inch, 9.5 inch axles). Refer to Rear Brake Rotor Replacement.
    Remove the axle shafts (10.5 inch, 11.5 inch axle). Refer to Rear Axle Shaft and/or Gasket Replacement.
    Remove the propeller shaft from the vehicle.
    • For vehicles equipped with the one piece propeller shaft, refer to One-Piece Propeller Shaft Replacement.

• For vehicles equipped with the two piece propeller shaft, refer to Two-Piece Propeller Shaft Replacement.

Using an inch-pound torque wrench, and record measure the amount of torque required to rotate the pinion. This will give the combined preload for the following components:
    • The pinion bearings

• The pinion pilot bearing (10.5 inch axle)

• The pinion oil seal

• The differential case bearings

• The axle bearings (8.6 inch, 9.5 inch axles)

• The axle seals (8.6 inch, 9.5 inch axles)

Place a reference mark on the pinion and the pinion yoke.

Important: DO NOT re-use the pinion nut. Replace with new only.

Using the J 8614-01 , remove the pinion nut and washer. Discard the nut.

Using the J 8614-2 (2), J 8614-3 (3) and the J 8614-01 (1), remove the pinion yoke.
    Using a suitable tool, remove the pinion oil seal.
    Installation Procedure

Using the J 22388 (8.6 inch, 9.5 inch axles) or the J 44414 (10.5 inch, 11.5 inch axle), install the pinion oil seal.
    Apply sealant GM P/N 12346004 (Canadian P/N 10953480) to the splines of the pinion yoke.
    Aligning the reference marks, install the pinion yoke.
    Notice: Refer to Pinion Flange/Yoke Installation Notice in the Preface section.

Using a soft faced hammer, tap the pinion yoke on the drive pinion until a few threads of the drive pinion are showing.
    Install the washer and a NEW pinion nut.
    Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Important: If the rotating torque is exceeded, the pinion will have to be removed and a new collapsible spacer installed.

Using the J 8614-01 , tighten the pinion nut.
    Tighten
    Tighten the nut until the pinion end play is just taken up. Rotate the pinion while tightening the nut to seat the bearings.

Using an inch pound torque wrench, measure the rotating torque of the pinion and compare this measurement recorded during removal.
    Tighten
    Tighten the nut in small increments, as needed, until the rotating torque is 0.40-0.57 Nm (3- 5 lb in) greater than the rotating torque recorded during removal.

Once the specified torque is obtained, rotate the pinion several times to ensure the bearings have seated. Recheck the rotating torque and adjust if necessary.
    Install the propeller shaft.
    • For vehicles equipped with the one piece propeller shaft, refer to One-Piece Propeller Shaft Replacement.

• For vehicles equipped with the two piece propeller shaft, refer to Two-Piece Propeller Shaft Replacement.

Install the axle shafts (10.5 inch, 11.5 inch axle). Refer to Rear Axle Shaft and/or Gasket Replacement.
    Install the brake rotors (8.6 inch, 9.5 inch axles). Refer to Rear Brake Rotor Replacement.
    Install the brake calipers (8.6 inch, 9.5 inch axles). Refer to Rear Brake Caliper Replacement.
    Install the tire and wheel assemblies. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.
    Inspect and add axle lubricant to the axle housing, if necessary. Refer to Rear Axle Lubricant Level Inspection.
    Remove the support and lower the vehicle.
    2010 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

you dont want to torque up the pinion nut!

basically you want to measure the rotational force using an in-lb guaged torque wrench (not a click style) to see how much force it takes to keep constant rotation on the pinion.

then when you reassemble you only tighten the pinion until there is no more lateral play and check the rotational torque. tighten the pinion nut in SMALL increments until the original torque reading is met.

if you go too far you'll need a new crush sleeve
    Last edited by dlstewart01; 10-01-2010 at 04:35 PM.
    05 GMC Sierra, Ext Cab, 5.3

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

3/5 Cav, C Troop, Blacks Knights, Vietnam, 1969