***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Engine sounds like a vacuum cleaner

This is a discussion on Engine sounds like a vacuum cleaner within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; When I start my Trailblazer it makes a sound like a vacuum cleaner, a very loud fan sound. As I ...

Engine sounds like a vacuum cleaner

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    When I start my Trailblazer it makes a sound like a vacuum cleaner, a very loud fan sound. As I increase my speed the noise gets softer, when I reach 55-60 mph it goes away, as I slow down it comes back, sometimes, other times it doesnt come back and everything is fine. I was told it's just the fan clutch trying to get air because it's so hot in Texas. Well now its Oct and not so hot anymore but it's still making the noise, even in the morning when it's really cool outside. Can anyone help me with this, any idea what it is?

Re: Engine sounds like a vacuum cleaner

Typically, fan clutch will be engaged during a cold start-up and about a minute after. Once you start driving, it should only engage when it gets too hot.
    If your clutch is always on, you may need a new one. Or go e-fans.

Re: Engine sounds like a vacuum cleaner

Do you have a check engine light on? Not sure if its the same on trailblazers, but I know the gmc envoys had a problem with the fan clutch "going out" and running on high. I just replaced one on a 03 envoy that sounded like you are describing.
    95 Z71 Silverado
    350 Auto RCLB lt headers, true duals, tb spacer, injector pod spacer, ultimate tbi mods, ud pulleys, electric fans, hids, cowl ind hood, tinted tails

94 Mustang
    351w swap in progress