If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

1998 chevy K1500 ext no brake lights

This is a discussion on 1998 chevy K1500 ext no brake lights within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; I lost my brake lights, four ways work and turn signals to the rear but no brake lights. Any idea ...

1998 chevy K1500 ext no brake lights

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I lost my brake lights, four ways work and turn signals to the rear but no brake lights. Any idea where I should go to try to solve this problem? or anyone else have this issue before?

Re: 1998 chevy K1500 ext no brake lights

Did you check the fuse?

1999 OBS GMC Sierra Classic ECSB 2wd-The Show Truck
    1999 OBS GMC Yukon 4dr 2wd-My Daily
    1990 OBS GMC Sierra ST RCSS 2wd-Pops Toy
    1997 OBS Chevy Silverado ECSB 2wd-Pops Daily

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Usually brake switch. About $12-$15 and easy enough to replace other than it's a cramped spot to work in. Later models like yours have the round type clip; helps if you spread it gently at the split (may have to spin it around a little to find the split) with snap ring pliers and slide it off. Don't wreck the clip...you'll have to get the replacement from the dealer.

Richard

fuses are good. And replaced that brake switch unless i got a bad one from the part store.

My truck had a similar issue. The brakes actually worked when I had key out but with truck running no brake lights. It turned out to be the turn signal switch. take the turn/back up lamp fuse out and see if you now have brake lights with the truck running. If so then the turn signal switch is bad.

it could be your bulb mounting plates, in the taillights these are bad to go out in these trucks

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Nothing wrong with his multifunction switch, wiring, or circuit boards if his 4 ways are working.

Richard

i will have to check them would that affect my third brake light as well? if it is those curcit boards?

well i have a 1998 burban and my brake lights are not working but the third light is working im going to take mine apart right now

ok i have my board out is there a special way to get the blub out of this thing ? im use to the ones that just pull out kinda lost here dont want to brake it i see little holes in the back of it but not sure if you have to put a small punch in them to get the baulb to release or what

there should be little clips on the side you squeeze together if there wedge bulbs

If you have the stock trailer T in the back take that off and try it. Also the circuit boards like to go out in the rear tails. You can see when you take them off if it has a break in the copper. Just solder it back together and they will work.

You might also have to trace the brakelight wire. They like to rub on the frame and short out. Happend to my 94 I had.

I just fixed my 1998 tahoe brake lights. I signed up on this forum to search the threads and read everything. Rarely did people post the final solution, so here is what turned out to be my problem. I had no lights (3rd light out too), new brake switch did not fix anything, fuses were all good, no power to rear end brake wire. finally, after realizing i didn't have power even to the brake switch, I started tracing wires back toward the battery from the switch. the harness that connects to the brake switch rubs on very very sharp metal and had cut 2 wires completely into and knicked the others in this harness about 10 inches back from the brake switch. this harness is only about 12 inches long anyway, so I pulled it out and soldered the wires back together, wrapped them up, plugged everything back together and the lights are working again. I hope this helps the next person to read this thread.

P.S. This has been my fathers truck since it left the dealership and has never had any sort of abuse or aftermarket wiring. No brake lights seems to be a fairly common issue and these wires were rubbing directly against sharp factory edges of the metal above the pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by mcquay1975 View Post
    well i have a 1998 burban and my brake lights are not working but the third light is working im going to take mine apart right now
    FYI. This may be the OP's issue as well, but, if you check the fuse in the cab near the driver door, they're probably good. If you check the fuse relay box in the engine compartment, there is like a relay for brake lights and a fuse or two in there. These are much larger fuses about the size of a quarter relatively speaking. One of those fuses is probably shot. Swapped out one for a friend who was having everything working parking, blinkers, etc. but he had no brake lights except for the third brake light which worked fine.

I know this thread is old and folks have probably fixed their issue by now, but for anyone searching for similar issues, I thought I would add a possible fix. Good luck.