GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

front end shaking violently at high speeds small bumps

This is a discussion on front end shaking violently at high speeds small bumps within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; so ive been having problems with my suspension... when im driving my truck with the smalest bump it starts shaking ...

front end shaking violently at high speeds small bumps

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    so ive been having problems with my suspension...

when im driving my truck with the smalest bump it starts shaking like crazy and i have to almost to a complete stop so it quits shaking like that, it seems or feels like its on my front drivers side wheel.
    the truck is lowered but it was doing it before i even lowered it but it just gotten worse..
    any ideas?? thanks..

ASE Certified Trans Tech transbuilderguy's Avatar

Re: front end shaking violently at high speeds small bumps

you may need to check your caster adjustment if you have alot of positive caster it will cause a wheel shimmy. you mayalso need to check for loose front end parts.

2nd Amendment Supporter mudbuddy's Avatar

Is this the lowered truck in your avatar? Did this start after lowering it? I would start with a Sears front end inspection because they will try and sell you everything that is the least bit loose, then follow up with a inspection from a reputable front end shop. Get the loose parts replaced and a alignment done and see what happens then. Don't wait to long because they call this the death shake for a good reason.
    Last edited by mudbuddy; 11-06-2010 at 11:01 AM.

my 95 does it too but maybe not as bas as yors. all i know is my shocks are completely blown out so thas what i think is wrong with mine, try checking yor shocks maybe even your wheels??
    sig by: lowdown

NINE FIVE YUKE

I checked everything today, everything looks good, shocks are new....

I have no idea of what it could be

Yes that's the truck, it started doing it right before I lowered it but it is worse now...

"DEATH WOBBLE" I got it too on my 96 tahoe, I have narrowed mine down to bad tires and possibly a bad wheel bearing on my pass side. But my give away is that my "abs" light is on.
    Looks kinda like my tires are over inflated thus changing the shape of them, like the guy before check you camber on the lowered truck too.
    97 Chevy Tahoe SAS project 14" lift 79 D60 kingpin AAM SF10.5
    96 Tahoe 6" superlift 3" BL
    99 Tahoe 4 door
    01 Honda RC51 ... too many mods!

My wheel bearings are brand new, when I lowered the truck I replaced shocks stabilizer links, a tierod that was bad and a ball joint.....
    The tires are in good shape and were balanced previous to the droop....

I suspect bushings and something being loose somewhere. Take it to a reputable shope somewhere before you hurt yourself or someone else.

I used to have a work truck (non-chevy) that did the same thing, any bump in the road got the steering wheel shaking so bad it was hard to hang on to. It was caused by excessive play in the steering box.
    The crumple zone in my OOBS is the other guy's car.

Well in the OBS theres the pitman arm with a ball joint, the idiler arm (known to wear out and cause many mant problems) and then the tie rods all 4 could be played from the angles of the lowered truck.
    I was talking to one of my buddies last night he said he had a similar problem too, after replacing almost everything in the front that could cause the wobble, the mechanic determined that one of the calipers was no good and each lil bump and movement of the brake line engaged the caliper on the pass side tire and trew it into a wobble. Im not sure how accurate this info is but its worth possiblily looking into too..
    Just a sugestion ...
    99 Tahoe 4 door

it could be a steering damper if you have one check that if you do . fsd (full size dodge) do that all the time when i worked for a dealer. and they asked me why i drove a chevy. LOL
    Remember: A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have. Thomas Jefferson

last night i checked everithing i could think of and found that one of the bolts securing the drivers side shock had broken off and the shock was only being held by one bolt (the bolt that hold it to the arm)
    anyways i fixed that and like i said i went trough all the components, i took it for a drive on the interestate and went like 15-20 minutes with no problems then it started shaking bad, i had to pull over to make it stop, then i tried to keep going to the next exit but it just kept doing the same thing so i had to dribe on the shoulder to the next exit..
    this is frustrating cause i cant even drive the truck....

Man i'm not positive but it really sounds like a steering problem to me. That is usually what happens when your Pitman arm goes bad or wears out. The pitman arm is the arm directly connected to the bottom of the power steering box. I have had that happen in my friends truck a few times and its always when he hits bumps. And hitting the brakes only makes it worse. It is definately a steering or suspension problem. Just out of curiosity how did you lower the truck? The way to really check for bad front end parts is to have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you get under it and watch for slack between the components. I would def. take it to a shop if you can't fix it yourself. Its a dangerous thing to occur, especially at highway speeds.
    the reptilian brain is now the one involved

ok ive been thinking about it and the caliper thing sounds like something i should check, cause it almost feels like when you have warped rotors, but my rotors are new....

Quote Originally Posted by slammed84 View Post
    Man i'm not positive but it really sounds like a steering problem to me. That is usually what happens when your Pitman arm goes bad or wears out. The pitman arm is the arm directly connected to the bottom of the power steering box. I have had that happen in my friends truck a few times and its always when he hits bumps. And hitting the brakes only makes it worse. It is definately a steering or suspension problem. Just out of curiosity how did you lower the truck? The way to really check for bad front end parts is to have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you get under it and watch for slack between the components. I would def. take it to a shop if you can't fix it yourself. Its a dangerous thing to occur, especially at highway speeds.
    how did i lower the truck? i did it with spindles and springs.

Dont forget to check the idiler arm too, the FSC steering arm is conected to it too. It located on the pass side of the truck mounted to the frame rail. 15/20 mins tho .... that kinda sound like when the tire catch temp they change consistency ... idk
    I sort of experence the same feeling with the bias ply versus radial tires on the lifted trucks ... I wish I had more bro sorry. Keep us posted if you find out whats causing the probs!!
    99 Tahoe 4 door

try swapping the tires front to back and see what happens
    Last edited by t_alan_d2000; 11-08-2010 at 07:40 PM.
    Remember: A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have. Thomas Jefferson

ive had that problem before.. basically if i drive anywhere from 35-50mph or if i hit any bumps, the wheels go nuts up front.. my solution.. check you pitman arm! mine was warn out.. so i replaced mine and for extra added comfort, i got a skyjacker steering stabilizer from summit racing.. and rides mint now

ball joints at best
    wheel bearing at worst

good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast