GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

350 TBI lack power

This is a discussion on 350 TBI lack power within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; please help! i have a 1991 k1500 z71, 350 TBI. im having problems with power. when i start it up ...

350 TBI lack power PLEASE HELP!!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    please help! i have a 1991 k1500 z71, 350 TBI. im having problems with power. when i start it up and its cold it fund like a bad out of hell after about 10 to 15 seconds of running it lacks power and struggles up hills, guzzles fuel, cant even spin a tire on a dirt road. it has all new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. fuel filter. also when driving it will sometimes cut out like it looses spark for a second then its running again. also shows some slight hesitation when take off or stalls. also it will sometimes just stall out of no where and wont start up then i shoot some starting fluid in the TBI and it will fire and stay running. makes no sense to me any ideas?
    Last edited by 1991k1500z71; 11-07-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Re: 350 TBI lack power

First thing I would check is your fuel pressure,you may have a failing fuel pump
    2001 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 GT4 5.3 with 92k
    1991 K1500 5.0V8 Bone Stock w/ 155k

Re: 350 TBI lack power

I have an '89 v1500. Had similar issues. Shat the bed yesterday and I'm 99% sure it's my highly restricted cat. Only shat the bed because I fixed the exhaust leaks I had between manifolds & Y-pipe; had problems the next time I ran it for more than a few minutes.

You might try disconnecting/loosening your Y-pipe from your manifolds to see if that's your problem. Removing the cat is usually a one-way trip; I had to cut the sleeve on mine and order a new cat for $65. Magnaflow 94009 3"in/out ebay/amazon

What about your air filter (because I'm captain obvious and you didn't type that!)?

There could be a problem with your ignition coil, too. Maybe get it tested...
    Last edited by helo; 11-08-2010 at 09:48 AM. Reason: typo