If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

700R4 Hard shift from 1st to 2nd only

This is a discussion on 700R4 Hard shift from 1st to 2nd only within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Some of you know I'm working on trying to get my truck running right again, I have a hesitation problem ...

700R4 Hard shift from 1st to 2nd only

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Some of you know I'm working on trying to get my truck running right again, I have a hesitation problem that I'm working on, waiting for the rain to stop here so I can check for vacuum leaks on the throttle body. Anyway - I have another issue with the truck and sitting here thought I'd see if you guys have any ideas. Some background info: The original transmission started to slip badly a while back. I bought a used transmission from a guy who said it supposedly had around 25K miles on it since bought/rebuilt (there is a jasper transmission tag on the transmission). His truck had been off the road for a year or more, so it had been sitting. I pulled my old transmission, installed my "new" transmission along with original torque converter and transfer case. I changed the transmission filter and fluid, old fluid seemed nice and clear, not burnt or dirty, which I was happy to see after wrestling this thing in by myself with no trans jack. The problem: Starting then (and I'd driven it like this for a good while now) when you start out in drive it accelerates good and then when shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear it shifts very hard, all other subsequent shifts are very smooth, and downshifting is very smooth, although recently I had noticed that if I'm rolling to a stop sometimes you can feel a downshift to first or maybe seems like a little bit of a delay on the downshift, where that wasn't the case at all before. The fluid level is good and fluid is clear and not burnt. I tried to the best of my ability to adjust the TV cable and I believe it is adjusted correctly, even so I'm under the impression that this would cause all shifts to be either delayed or harder, not just the 1st to 2nd shift. Since I know about the hard shift, if I slightly let off the gas when it's going to shift from first to 1 - 2 it doesn't shift or bang nearly as hard, and this is how I've driven it for a while now. IT does seem to lessen when it's warmed up but it's still definitely a hard shift. One thing interesting: when hauling a full bed of mulch last spring (long bed, mulch full to top of bed rails) you couldn't feel any hardness in the shift at all, it was like it was shifting perfectly with the extra weight. Any ideas on this one, figured I'd see if anybody had a similar problem before?

ASE Certified Trans Tech transbuilderguy's Avatar

Re: 700R4 Hard shift from 1st to 2nd only

kinda hard to say on this one aside from any mechanical/hydraulic issues in the tranny it depends on how the seperator plate and the accumualtor was setup i have seen more than a few times 2 pistons shoved in the accumualtor bore to block off the accumulator which in my opinion is a no no on a 4l60e except the 4th acumulator

Just need to play with the TV cable adjustment. I have my plow truck set that way. Push the button on TV cable and adjust OUT 2 or 3 notches, go a little more or less as needed. Don't go so much that it has a long lazy transition in between shifts though.... that can burn it up.

EDIT, transbiulderguy replied while I did..... he knows his stuff. Not trying to step on any toes. He's probably forgot more about tranny's than I will ever know.
    Last edited by gsst; 11-14-2010 at 08:02 AM.

nope i actually agree with the TV cable adjustment I am assuming that it is adjusted properly lol. you will never step on my toes this is a message board and we all have had expereinces that may help the person out just because I build them doesnt mean that my advise is the right one its just a suggestion to check as in your suggestion also.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll try to play with the TV cable adjustment more today and check back to let you know what happens. transbuilderguy, as far as the the separator plate and the accumulator that you mention, is there a reason that somebody would've wanted it this way on purpose or if the accumulator was blocked would that've been a mistake made when it was rebuilt? I still have the original 700r4 core, had played around with the idea of trying to rebuild it at some point if I can't get this one adjusted right.

tv cable adjustment procedure:

http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

if you need help during the rebuild I would be more than happy to help you I promote learning. I am not saying that this has been done to yor unit I have no idea but considering that 2-3 and 3-4 are normal it sounds like the 1-2 has been tweaked. adjust the cable properly and lets see what happens from there.

Were your brakes dragging at all? Mine were dragging I replaced my calipers and voila no more hard 1-2 shifts. I actually ended up replacing brake parts at all 4 corners + a master cylinder & some steel lines.... apparantly brakes have alot to do with the trans operation.

Wow I had never thought the brakes could be affecting it like that, I'll have to check it out. It was a real busy week, I didn't get to check into anything at all, planning on tonight checking the TV cable adjustment and I'll check out the brakes. The only reason I'm not thinking it's the brakes is because it didn't do this with the old transmission, now granted it sat for a good few months before I got time to swap it out, but then started this ever since the new transmission was put in. I first wondered if it had something to do with reusing the old torque converter, I changed about 2 rwd trannys and 5 fwd in cars but other than that don't know much about the inner workings on them. Don't have the garage built yet so it's hard when it gets dark so early. I'll post back what I find, thanks to everybody for the advice on this.
    Last edited by RoughRunner; 11-19-2010 at 06:32 AM.