***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

1997 Silverado Wont Start. Help!

This is a discussion on 1997 Silverado Wont Start. Help! within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Got in the truck after it sat for a week over my thanksgiving break, and it cranks and cranks, but ...

1997 Silverado Wont Start. Help!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Got in the truck after it sat for a week over my thanksgiving break, and it cranks and cranks, but refuse to start. I put a charger on the battery, and it read 12.5 volts. Its currently charging. It's a 1997 silverado, 5.0 Vortec, the battery is MAYBE a month old. No aftermarket stereo or any of that. Any information is greatly appriciated, or I'm fvcked when I try to go to school in the morning.

Re: 1997 Silverado Wont Start. Help!

make sure you're fuel pump is coming on when you turn the key on, you will hear it buzz. And you can also find the fuel line and there will be a small port with a cap on it, take the cap off and push in the valve to make sure you are getting fuel to the motor ( be careful its under pressure ). If its not fuel its gotta be spark and there is dozens of factors that go into not getting spark.
    the reptilian brain is now the one involved

Thank you. After it sat on the charger, I got annoyed and tried it one time, held for about 15-20 seconds and it finally started. I drove it around for 10 minutes, it stumbled once, but all was otherwise eventless. Hopefully it will start quickly in the morning. Thanks again for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by slammed84 View Post
    make sure you're fuel pump is coming on when you turn the key on, you will hear it buzz. And you can also find the fuel line and there will be a small port with a cap on it, take the cap off and push in the valve to make sure you are getting fuel to the motor ( be careful its under pressure ). If its not fuel its gotta be spark and there is dozens of factors that go into not getting spark.
    Okay, so after starting once and running for a day, it decided to not start again. Fuel pump is fine, its getting fuel, I think its the electrical now. I did plugs as the ones in there were nasty, and to no avail. Maybe its the coil? Wires maybe? Its just doesn't seem to be getting any spark.

Sounds as if you have already eliminated the fuel system (remember, even though the pump runs, it may not be getting the correct pressure to injectors if there are other issues such as the fuel pressure regulator, check valve, etc under the intake manifold. These can cause fuel issues, also). After changing plugs, did you check to see if you are getting spark at the coil lead wire? Another way to check and help eliminate the plugs, coil, distributor, etc, is to squirt or spray a little fuel into the throttle body and then see if it will start. This sort of bypasses the injectors and gives the engine fuel to run on. If it does start, then I would think the ignition system is probably OK.

I am working on a 97 that is doing the exact same thing and so far I am leaning toward the fuel pressure regulator, check valve or some other gremlin (busted or leaking line) under the upper intake housing. I have about 50lbs pressure until key turned off, then it falls like a rock. Looks like I will be pulling the upper intake housing for a look. I have read on this site where there is an updated fuel "spider" injector system that is available to help with fuel problems under the housing.

There are several other posts here on this site that may be of help to you. Do a search for fuel pressure, pressure regulator, etc.

I am interested in what you find, maybe it will help me also.
    Last edited by rdy2ride; 11-30-2010 at 07:10 PM.

sounds like a weak battery or something is getting left on. make sure you put your dome override on because if your door is a little saggy it will trigger the lamp in the middle of the night. and drive it around for an hour to let it charge up some.
    Last edited by dcZ71; 11-30-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Sounds like a weak F/P or the FPR to me too.
    2014 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...g-1st-3rd.html

Put starter fluid down the intake, proceeded to crank, and got back fires out the top, but no start. So maybe FPR?

turn the key on(dont crank), count to 10, off, count to 10, on count to 10 and crank, see if it fires up

or actually put a fuel pressure gauge on it, it needs 58-62 psi to start
    ASE Master Certified Technician

2000 Silverado 6.0 4L80E 2wd
    *RIP*1994 Z71 SCLB 355, Dart Heads, 10.5:1 CR, PM rods, CC XR270HR

Quote Originally Posted by dave89iroc View Post
    turn the key on(dont crank), count to 10, off, count to 10, on count to 10 and crank, see if it fires up

or actually put a fuel pressure gauge on it, it needs 58-62 psi to start
    Quote Originally Posted by CKTA View Post
    Sounds like a weak F/P or the FPR to me too.
    Rented a fuel pressure tester, and with the key in the on position, it had 62 psi. It has spark too, as I pulled a plug on the plug wire and checked as it cranked. The damn thing has fuel pressure and spark, why wont it start? Is the timing off or something? Or does this make it the regulator, as this was the pressure from the schrader valve above the intake manifold?
    Last edited by TheJavelin; 12-01-2010 at 05:46 PM.

Just a thought, but I remember reading in previous post that you changed the plugs . Has it cranked and ran since that time? I would take the time to recheck the firing order and be certain that the wires are not crossed up, even just a couple of them could make the backfire you mentioned. Like you said, if it has fire and fuel, the only other thing is that the firing has to be at the right time.

Sounds like the fuel pressure is right on, does it hold the pressure after key is turned off (within a few pounds)?
    Last edited by rdy2ride; 12-01-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Could it be the coolant temperature sensor? If it's faulty it could cause your engine to flood itself and not start even with good pressure and spark. If it turns out that's the case, make sure you check the oil after because if that happened there's a possibilty that the gas could get into the oil and thin it out, causing it to knock.

|1995|Chev|Silverado|1500|2WD|RCSB|OBS|Platinum Grey|3" Cowl|Roll Pan|-DD

I see them often where they sound like the timing is off and the distributor cap is bad
    ASE Master Certified Technician

2000 Silverado 6.0 4L80E 2wd
    *RIP*1994 Z71 SCLB 355, Dart Heads, 10.5:1 CR, PM rods, CC XR270HR

Javelin, havent seen any recent posts about your 97 Chevy not starting. Making any headway on your problem?