If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

350 tbi intake manifold gaskets (oil leak)

This is a discussion on 350 tbi intake manifold gaskets (oil leak) within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Haynes talks about installing front/rear seals after the gaskets. I'd think RTV will do the job? Noticed an oil leak ...

350 tbi intake manifold gaskets (oil leak)

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Haynes talks about installing front/rear seals after the gaskets. I'd think RTV will do the job?

Noticed an oil leak today on back of engine, pulled the valve cover hoping it was that easy. Nope. Bought a $.99 distributor gasket, pulled the distributor. Nope. Appears to be the seal between block and intake manifold.

I did gaskets on a 4.3vortec, and the 350tbi looks like it will be much easier unless I'm missing something... looks like I can remove the intake manifold without having to monkey with the P/S pump?

Confirmation appreciated..

Re: 350 tbi intake manifold gaskets (oil leak)

DO NOT use the included end seals that come with the gaskets, use RTV, a 1/4" bead along the block front and rear will seal it good

make sure everything is clean and oil free, and if possible, get it all together and let it sit overnight before starting it

other then the gasket scraping, yes, it is a little easier then a vortec intake job
    Last edited by dave89iroc; 12-07-2010 at 03:58 PM.
    ASE Master Certified Technician

2000 Silverado 6.0 4L80E 2wd
    *RIP*1994 Z71 SCLB 355, Dart Heads, 10.5:1 CR, PM rods, CC XR270HR

Yea pulling the manifold is not a huge task. You don't have to mess with the ps pump. Just basically leave everything on except the dizzy and disconnect a few wires and it should be able to come right off. And RTV the ends don't use the gaskets they push out and leak. And bring the rtv up onto the manifold gaskets about 1/4 to a 1/2 inch so you get a good seal.
    04 1500 Z71 6.0 LQ4 swap, BlackBear 06+ Grill/Hood, Vette servo, 3 BL,RC Keys, Truxedo, Bull Bar,KC, Cooper ST's Bilstein 5100's Tow's, Pypes M-80.

1989 Silverado 2500 94+grill, Ram air hood, Mild built 355, Th400,

sweet, thanks guys.

I can see the bulging rubber seal next to the oil pressure fitting, and that's what's leaking. I think all the felpro sets even come with rtv instead of preformed seals.

Permatex "Right Stuff" works 1,000 times better then RTV.
    ASE Certified Technician
    California Smog Check Technician
    97 Chevy C1500--02 Chevy K1500--69 Chevelle--69 Volkswagen Beetle

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty"
    Thomas Jefferson

www.CampaignforLiberty.com

What's wrong with using the provided seals?
    454cid
    1999 K3500 RCLB

A nice thick bead of right stuff just works a whole lot better. Some gasket sets come with sh*ty cork end seals witch just don't work, other sets come with rubber end seals that can leak, shrink, get hard and you still need some kind of sealant in the corners where the heads meet the block.
    ASE Certified Technician
    California Smog Check Technician
    97 Chevy C1500--02 Chevy K1500--69 Chevelle--69 Volkswagen Beetle

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty"
    Thomas Jefferson

www.CampaignforLiberty.com

What's wrong with using the provided seals?
    Only one minor detail...

They leak.

If that doesn't bother you, then they're fine.

Smear a thin smear of sealant on the block. Lay a bead about " tall on it. Let it set up for about a half hour. Smear a thin layer on the intake and add a thin coat onto your bead, and put the manifold on. Tighten the bolts to about 5 ft-lbs - basically, just past finger tight. Let set up overnight. Torque to specs.

I've never done an intake* myself, but I can see what you're saying happening. My Buick has rubber end seals and they look like they're coming out, and I've never been able to get the idle as low as I should be able to....... vacuum leak. On my truck a corner or two were neglected in Tonawanda according to the mechanic that did the intake gasket. I don't know what he used in the corners, but it looks questionable to me, as it's fairly hard. I'll be doing it next time, since I need to pull the heads, now.

*On a V engine only inlines
    Last edited by 454cid; 12-07-2010 at 08:37 PM.
    454cid
    1999 K3500 RCLB