If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

o2 sensor problem 97 Chevy silverado 1500 Z-71 5.7

This is a discussion on o2 sensor problem 97 Chevy silverado 1500 Z-71 5.7 within the Technical / Maintenance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Alright ive been searching around and havent found an answer yet. The SES light came on and the scanner said ...

o2 sensor problem 97 Chevy silverado 1500 Z-71 5.7

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Alright ive been searching around and havent found an answer yet. The SES light came on and the scanner said an o2 sensor was bad. Bank 1 Sensor 2. I replaced the sensor. I figured my problem would go away, well no it didnt. ive replaced the sensor with 5 others (2 brand new ones) and still have the SES light on. I followed a wiring diagram and tested the wiring for the o2 sensor with a volt meter and voltage was correct. I even checked if the fuse in the block was bad. found no issues. I even tried running those spark plug fouler things that screw onto the sensor. those didnt work. Im still running cats and because of this o2 sensor issue im getting 10 mpg.... if im lucky. I even took the cat off and looked inside and it isnt clogged what so ever. So can anyone tell me what might work to fix the issue? Could the wiring to the o2 sensor need to be replaced? PLEASE HELP!!!

Re: o2 sensor problem 97 Chevy silverado 1500 Z-71 5.7

All o2 sensors need to be replaced at the same time. These sensors will wear out and put out data that is slightly off, but still correlate with each other (hence no CEL). Then 1 of the sensors go out completely, you replace it, and it will show how bad the other sensor was.

Kind of like how an engine may have low compression across the board but still run decent because the compression is within an acceptable degree of each other.
    OR
    You may have 2 worn tires, everything seems fine because they are both even, but once you have a blowout and replace one, then you will notice that it will pull/loose traction/etc on the other side.

You said you tried 2 other new o2 sensors. Replace the other 2 remaining sensors and I bet you it will go back to normal.
    Last edited by wmiller1337; 12-19-2010 at 09:25 PM.

Ok I will try that. Thanks so much for the help!

I just did this also. I replaced one with a Bosch and got horrible gas mileage. Then I got a SES light for the rear, so I replaced that with a Bosch also. Still got 10 miles a gallon, heck even less. No SES light on but I thought what the hell, just gonna do the other upstream one (Same Brand) Bosch. BANG! Great mileage now and runs better also, Good luck

Hope it works out for ya! Let us know either way.

Could be a clogged cat, the downstream sensor is only for converter effency it does not affect any of the engine settings. Since it is compairing readings to the upstream sensor it could decribe what Rotbody saw. If swapping sensors doesn't fix it try taking it out for a drive after dark to warm it up then have someone rev it to a steady 1500-2K rpm and after a minute or so look at the cat, if it glows it needs to go :)